Is Poch a victim of his own success?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pochettino stated that the objective set by Levy was for us to be playing Champions League football in the new stadium.

So yeah. Poch over-performed and set the bar high by qualifying and having decent runs earlier than expected.

The problem now is that Woolwich, United, Liverpool, City and Chelsea, our rivals for the Top 4 have all strengthened their squads significantly over the past few years, where as we haven’t. If anything, we’ve gone the other way - particularly with Dembele leaving.

There’s a reason why it’s a big deal that Chelsea are receiving a two window ban on signing players. Because it’s a strong punishment. Levy, despite all the great things he has done for Tottenham decided to self-impose a two window ban on us. No fucking wonder we’re struggling!

I get as wound up as anyone when I hear us described as Spursy/soft/bottlers. But there’s no smoke without fire! This has been the case for years. Why? Our recruitment strategy.

We lack squad depth first and foremost. Our squad is jammed full of players that should be nowhere near a team aspiring to win the league. We lack big game players. We lack the type of leader that will go fucking ballistic in the dressing room at players that cost us the game for getting sent off because they got wound up. Or confront a ‘big’ player who isn’t pulling their weight.

Pochettino set the bar high by delivering what Levy wanted ahead of schedule. But Levy needs to recognise the fact that our competition now have far stronger teams than we do. It is a miracle that we’re still in the running for the Top 4. We’ve lost more games this season than Wolves, a team that was playing in the Championship last season. If that isn’t setting alarm bells off in Levy’s head then nothing will.

It isn’t Poch’s fault. It is Levy’s for not backing him in the window. It is only a matter of time before Pochettino gets sick of it and joins a club that will back him. One sacking at Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, United, Bayern Munich, Juventus etc... and they’ll be kicking the door down to sign him. Levy needs to unclench his asshole. Give Poch £100m outright plus free reign to get rid of whoever he wants and allow him reinvest that money. Otherwise we will not win anything and Poch will move on to bigger things.

Really, Woolwich have strengthed their squad significantly over the last few years. Must have missed that one.
You wouldn’t have wanted Aubameyang or Lacazette?

Obviously not now as they’ve been tainted. But before that point they were red hot.

Really, Woolwich have strengthed their squad significantly over the last few years. Must have missed that one.
But I can see what you mean. I suppose they haven’t improved that much as whole. But I still think they have a strong squad. They’re just playing shit.

I’d have taken one of Lacazette or Aubameyang though.

So that fucking great big stadium I’ve been going to since April isn’t tangible? Cramming St.Totteringham’s day down Gooner throats isn’t tangible? Having CL nights midweek isn’t tangible? Actually feeling pride to support my club after years of feeling like it was a laughing stock isn’t tangible?

Blimey, the entitlement.
On a separate note, my considerations for dying recently.......

You wouldn’t have wanted Aubameyang or Lacazette?

Obviously not now as they’ve been tainted. But before that point they were red hot.
So you think adding those two has significantly strengthed their squad. Seems a lot of their fans think the squad is shit and their not fit to wear the shirt.
I wouldn't touch Aubameyang with a barge pole but i'd have Lacazette.
Even with our implosion they are below us and will be even if they win today, so no i don't think they have a better squad than us.

But I can see what you mean. I suppose they haven’t improved that much as whole. But I still think they have a strong squad. They’re just playing shit.

I’d have taken one of Lacazette or Aubameyang though.

Approach it another way. Pick a squad; ours or theirs?

Last edited:
As far as the league is concerned he’s had to contend with ‘home’ games at Wembley, several injuries to key players, and the additional issues that come with managing to lead us into the last 4 of the CL. Despite all of that we’re still a single victory away from guaranteed CL football, and could even qualify without earning another point.

I think he can take us further.
He can take us further if we back him more. We need to hold on to him even if we finish 5th or 6th. I think qualifying without a single point is very wishful thinking! United will get 6 more pts so that's them above us. Then have to hope Chelsea don't win 1 of there last 2 games & Woolwich mess up in there last game.
Anyway, back to the thread... I agree, poch can take us further & why even risk bringing a new man in.

I have nothing but admiration for Poch and how far we have come under his stewardship but why continue to be nearly men when you can go off to a club like Juventus or PSG and guarantee yourself domestic titles.

Poch's profile is so big when does he sacrifice for personal gains?
I think there is much more satisfaction in winning things with us than Juventus or PSG, that's one reason why he stays for now but I do sense him getting frustrated with the transfer restrictions. I'm not expecting things to change this summer, I suspect deep down Poch knows this too, which is why again he's putting the pressure on.

After admirably hanging in there with 9 players against Bournemouth until the dying minutes and handing initiative to the chasing pack in Chelsea, Woolwich and Man utd have we gone as far as we can with Poch?

Has he taken Spurs as far as he can? (Working with the constraints he has done in the past 5 seasons and getting above expectations year after year whilst showing considerable loyalty in the process is it harsh to think about a Tottenham without Poch at the helm?)

The guy has literally moved mountains and worked miracles to get the side where it is today and he should be commended for an excellent job well done in every aspect but if ever there was a time for him and his players and staff to deliver the goods it is now.......and this moment!!!

We need to finish top 4 and be champions league finalists and these are very achievable goals to dare Is to do!!!

And now we need to DO it more then ever.

as a club Tottenham have always done things the hard way and when it pays off the results are fantastic i just feel 1 of the above targets will not be realised before the end of this season with Poch at the helm he and his team have gone missing far too often when it really matters like it does right now.

As other fans have posted he doesn't utilise what he has effectively enough at key moments perfect example is Kyle Walker Peters.
Given the fact its been a very busy and long couple of years for Kieran Trippier and how jaded he is looking i as many other fans would've thought KWP would've had more game time upto now!

It'll be an interesting summer too because the age old question of who will come to Tottenham to warm the bench for Kane when he is fit and i believe we already have him on our books.

I cant believe Poch hasn't ever given Lamela an extended run up top he would be the perfect strike partner for Kane,Llorente ,Sonny and Moura

Interesting what if any business is done in the summer I'm very much of the same opinion as Poch in thinking buying players just because you can just doesn't work.

With the new stadium completed and 5 years of laying double deep foundations domestically at home and abroad looking very solid under Poch will we ever get another opportunity to attract the calibre of key players to form our entire squad as we do right now?

We have cracking full backs in Rosé,Trippier but where is our lightning pace on the wing ATT mid LEFT AND RIGHT.
True enough we have Moura but beyond that we have no one other than N'Koudou who can offer that outlet like Sterling/Sane do for City or Salah/Mane do for Liverpool .

We need to think about bringing in somebody like Sane/ Memphis Depay to maximise the speed of the teams attacks/ counter attacks.

If Poch departs this summer be happy to consider Rafa Benitez or Nuno Espírito Santo as coaches to come in and take over the baton building with Poch's foundations he has laid.
Think I made it to the end of the second paragraph of your post. Does it become interesting later?

One thing to consider, for all you trigger happy ‘realists’. If Poch goes, Kane will follow him soon after. As will Son. They play for him more than anything else.

So if you’re up for starting from scratch, go for it.
Agreed. But also not strengthening at all & not qualifying for the CL could be a big factor in key players leaving too. Not improving the team & being in the Europa makes it harder to convince the likes of Toby & Eriksen to stay.

Good point.

90% confident if Poch goes, our key players will follow.

Then again, our key players have all got the same treatment this season that Poch is getting now.

"Eriksen should be sold"
"Dele is not good enough"
"We're better without Kane"

etc. etc. etc.

So maybe fans do know best
I reckon we have taken the Jan & Toby partnership for granted too. 1 of my favourite CB partnerships we had.

Good point.

90% confident if Poch goes, our key players will follow.

Then again, our key players have all got the same treatment this season that Poch is getting now.

"Eriksen should be sold"
"Dele is not good enough"
"We're better without Kane"

etc. etc. etc.

So maybe fans do know best
The team would disintegrate pretty quickly were Poch to leave.

On Dele though, I think most fans know he's good enough. They just question his application of late

Pochettino stated that the objective set by Levy was for us to be playing Champions League football in the new stadium.

So yeah. Poch over-performed and set the bar high by qualifying and having decent runs earlier than expected.

The problem now is that Woolwich, United, Liverpool, City and Chelsea, our rivals for the Top 4 have all strengthened their squads significantly over the past few years, where as we haven’t. If anything, we’ve gone the other way - particularly with Dembele leaving.

There’s a reason why it’s a big deal that Chelsea are receiving a two window ban on signing players. Because it’s a strong punishment. Levy, despite all the great things he has done for Tottenham decided to self-impose a two window ban on us. No fucking wonder we’re struggling!

I get as wound up as anyone when I hear us described as Spursy/soft/bottlers. But there’s no smoke without fire! This has been the case for years. Why? Our recruitment strategy.

We lack squad depth first and foremost. Our squad is jammed full of players that should be nowhere near a team aspiring to win the league. We lack big game players. We lack the type of leader that will go fucking ballistic in the dressing room at players that cost us the game for getting sent off because they got wound up. Or confront a ‘big’ player who isn’t pulling their weight.

Pochettino set the bar high by delivering what Levy wanted ahead of schedule. But Levy needs to recognise the fact that our competition now have far stronger teams than we do. It is a miracle that we’re still in the running for the Top 4. We’ve lost more games this season than Wolves, a team that was playing in the Championship last season. If that isn’t setting alarm bells off in Levy’s head then nothing will.

It isn’t Poch’s fault. It is Levy’s for not backing him in the window. It is only a matter of time before Pochettino gets sick of it and joins a club that will back him. One sacking at Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, United, Bayern Munich, Juventus etc... and they’ll be kicking the door down to sign him. Levy needs to unclench his asshole. Give Poch £100m outright plus free reign to get rid of whoever he wants and allow him reinvest that money. Otherwise we will not win anything and Poch will move on to bigger things.
That's a fantastic post, Sheepy boy. This forum can only benefit from great contributions like this.
You really must post more often

tenor.gif

I'm John, btw. :thumbup:

I think there is much more satisfaction in winning things with us than Juventus or PSG, that's one reason why he stays for now but I do sense him getting frustrated with the transfer restrictions. I'm not expecting things to change this summer, I suspect deep down Poch knows this too, which is why again he's putting the pressure on.
It's kinda like preferring to become a millionaire through your own hard work rather than winning it via the lottery. So do you keep turning down that winning ticket..

Back
Top Bottom