Is this the best squad ever assembled?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can't think of a better squad, man for man and manager for manager.

If the rumoured Zaniolo/Maddison move goes through then it makes the squad quality upgrade even more stark. Squad becomes comparable to current ManCity and Liverpool.
Hard not to see how Spurs can't be counted as serious title contenders .

Can't think of a better squad, man for man and manager for manager.

If the rumoured Zaniolo/Maddison move goes through then it makes the squad quality upgrade even more stark. Squad becomes comparable to current ManCity and Liverpool.
Hard not to see how Spurs can't be counted as serious title contenders .
If Conte can make all this change gel in the space of a few weeks then he's as good a manager as we'll see

Let's not exaggerate.

We're not on the level of Man City even with a new signing or two. And I would say we'd be at a similar level to Liverpool, not better - but they have the advantage of having their manager and style set in place for years.

Probably better than the rest though.

Let's not exaggerate.

We're not on the level of Man City even with a new signing or two. And I would say we'd be at a similar level to Liverpool, not better - but they have the advantage of having their manager and style set in place for years.

Probably better than the rest though.
I think our counter attacking forward line has been set in place for a few years and is well established…. Agree on City, so much resilience in their squad that injuries to 2 or 3 of the best players don’t impact them. Not the case with Liv, saw their form without Allison and VVD two seasons ago. Mane will be a big loss

Our forward line is better, but we are not where we were defensively in 16/17. Our first eleven was better when we had the pair of Vertonghen and Alderweireld as CBs and Walker and Rose as fullback, a younger Lloris in goal, and Dembele and Wanyama/Dier in front of the back four. I'd say that all of those, in their 15/16 version, possibly with the exception of Wanyama/Dier, would have strengthend our current first eleven.

We also had Kane, Son, a promising Alli and a marvelous Eriksen as our front men back then. Although Kane and Son has certainly improved since, I'd say our first eleven was stronger then. And our backup then wasn't bad either.

It's very encouraging, they need to achieve things first before being the best squad ever.

Our forward line is better, but we are not where we were defensively in 16/17. Our first eleven was better when we had the pair of Vertonghen and Alderweireld as CBs and Walker and Rose as fullback, a younger Lloris in goal, and Dembele and Wanyama/Dier in front of the back four. I'd say that all of those, in their 15/16 version, possibly with the exception of Wanyama/Dier, would have strengthend our current first eleven.

We also had Kane, Son, a promising Alli and a marvelous Eriksen as our front men back then. Although Kane and Son has certainly improved since, I'd say our first eleven was stronger then. And our backup then wasn't bad either.

And won nothing unfortunately. All that ability and super football and somehow fell short at every hurdle. That saddens me to this day.
Nothing against Poch, but could you imagine that much potential with a Conte driving them?

Our backup was weaker than now…. We have a decent 16/17 players now

Romero-dier under Conte is just as good as toby-vert in their prime, hardly anything gets past them. Lloris has certainly not gotten noticeably worse with age.

Current Perisic way better than any version of Rose. Only Walker is objectively better than the current options.

Bissouma/Skipp/Bentancur/hoj is a big upgrade over the MF back then

Son-kane-kulu-richarlison-zaniolo/maddison is better than son-kane-eriksen-dele

Don't see how 15/16 was better than current in terms of strongest XI as well as squad

The potential is incredible. Looks like conte is making the entire squad as an assist engine for the front three. My only concern is breaking down stubborn teams that sit deep and out muscle us. I think that's why Cote is building fitness. In my opinion its still just missing that creative genius who can pick open the lock in those games. Time will tell.

Romero-dier under Conte is just as good as toby-vert in their prime, hardly anything gets past them. Lloris has certainly not gotten noticeably worse with age.

Current Perisic way better than any version of Rose. Only Walker is objectively better than the current options.

Don't see how 15/16 was better than current in terms of strongest XI as well as squad

I don't think we have a player today that's as good as Dembele was back then.
Maybe one of them could be as good, but as at now, no one touches him.

I don't think we have a player today that's as good as Dembele was back then.
Maybe one of them could be as good, but as at now, no one touches him.

I think Bissouma has the potential (key word) to.

But Dembele was an absolute beast and one of the best in world football at what he did.

I’m not sure his talent was fully recognised/appreciated at the time!

And yet our defence set the PL record last season for most clean sheets.

Agree but arguably our rivals are stronger than back then with elite managers and depth of squads now.

Our backups back then weren't a patch on the 1st team, the makeup of the squad is far better now

Our backups back then weren't a patch on the 1st team, the makeup of the squad is far better now

Yeh we had a Ferrari back then with dodgy wheels. Soon as we got players injured or tired competing in multiple competitions we where fucked. Club is doing the right thing now building a squad and not just a first 11.

I think Bissouma has the potential (key word) to.

But Dembele was an absolute beast and one of the best in world football at what he did.

I’m not sure his talent was fully recognised/appreciated at the time!

His period was short though. During AVB time he was unfit and benched, he would slow down often kill our counter attacks. Arguably he was managed badly for quite a while.

His transformation was pretty dramatic under Poch, much fitter, didn’t sit on the ball unnecessarily which meant that he was no longer a liability offensively. It enabled him to show the world his skill and press resistance which was truly elite.

The only criticism at this point was that we became to dependant on him to control the midfield. I think the club now building a squad and having depth we have learned some lessons from that.

Just imagine a fully fit Dembele who also has cover and competition with players like Bissouma so he doesn’t have to play every game and burn himself out.

Back
Top Bottom