Is this the best squad ever assembled?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like how the team is taking shape. In Kane and Son we have two players who are good enough to play for any side in the world. We're still a way short of City and Liverpool but that's to be expected. It's all about closing the gap on them. They're two of the best three or four clubs in the whole of Europe.

We are not far off City if we had 2-3 more elite players then we would have an elite squad. We ain’t getting Skriniar, Gvardoil and Maddison before the window shuts as that would be about £150m extra but that would make us strong in every position, tactically flexible and we would have bench options for each position. That is basically what City have and what makes them so hard to defeat.

Lloris
Romero Skriniar Gvardiol
Spence Maddison Bissouma Bentancur Perisic
Kane Son

Lloris
Romero Skriniar Gvardiol
Spence Bissouma Bentancur Perisic
Kulusevski Kane Son

Subs: Forster, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Skipp, Hojberg, Doherty, Sessengnon, Richarlison, Sarr

We are not far off City if we had 2-3 more elite players then we would have an elite squad. We ain’t getting Skriniar, Gvardoil and Maddison before the window shuts but that would make us strong in every position, tactically flexible and we would have bench options for each position. That is basically what City have and what makes them so hard to defeat.

Lloris
Romero Skriniar Gvardiol
Spence Maddison Bissouma Bentancur Perisic
Kane Son

Lloris
Romero Skriniar Gvardiol
Spence Bissouma Bentancur Perisic
Kulusevski Kane Son

Subs: Forster, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Skipp, Hojberg, Doherty, Sessengnon, Richarlison, Sarr

We're miles away in all honesty. Kane and Son are good enough to play for City but realistically how many of our players would get in their side? Maybe Romero over Stones or Laporte. Son over Mahrez...

We're miles away in all honesty. Kane and Son are good enough to play for City but realistically how many of our players would get in their side? Maybe Romero over Stones or Laporte. Son over Mahrez...

Depends on what you mean get in. I personally thought Bissouma and Rice where better than Rodri last season although Rodri plays in a better team. Perisic might not fit the system but is at least Cancelo level.

If it’s just 100% get in the first 11 then Kane, Son and Romero for me. If it’s fight for a place then Bissouma & Perisic would probably have to be added to the list. That is still potentially a change of 3-5 players of City’s first 11.

Although we have to realise that Conte and Pep have very different systems. What would be Conte ideal if money was no object first 11 would not be Pep’s.

Depends on what you mean get in. I personally thought Bissouma and Rice where better than Rodri last season although Rodri plays in a better team. Perisic might not fit the system but is at least Cancelo level.

If it’s just 100% get in the first 11 then Kane, Son and Romero for me. If it’s fight for a place then Bissouma & Perisic would probably have to be added to the list. That is still potentially a change of 3-5 players of City’s first 11.

Although we have to realise that Conte and Pep have very different systems. What would be Conte ideal if money was no object first 11 would not be Pep’s.

Perisic over Cancelo? Bissouma and Rodri are completely different types of holding midfielders so it's hard to choose between, and depends on what you want from our holding midfielder I suppose. I feel like we've generally signed well this summer and will certainly improve, but they have also just signed Haaland, Alvarez, Phillips and probably Cucurella. I feel like we're a bit closer to Liverpool but again, only a few of our players get into their best 11.

Perisic over Cancelo? Bissouma and Rodri are completely different types of holding midfielders so it's hard to choose between, and depends on what you want from our holding midfielder I suppose. I feel like we've generally signed well this summer and will certainly improve, but they have also just signed Haaland, Alvarez, Phillips and probably Cucurella. I feel like we're a bit closer to Liverpool but again, only a few of our players get into their best 11.

Perisic is arguably the worlds best left wing back or top 3 at least, the issue is City don’t have that position so we can only compare on quality so yes Perisic would easily compare with Cancelo ability wise, he just wouldn’t suit the system as much.

Bissouma for me is a more complete player than Rodri and has been one of my favourite prem players for 2 seasons. He can do a bit of everything but Rodri is a classier passer of the ball so probably suits City’s system more.

The systems are different and suit different players but in general City have more depth than us and a finished first 11. However I don’t think we are that far off that. 2-3 more elite signings and we are getting pretty close. I just don’t see us making 2-3 more elite signings by window close.

Perisic is arguably the worlds best left wing back or top 3 at least, the issue is City don’t have that position so we can only compare on quality so yes Perisic would easily compare with Cancelo ability wise, he just wouldn’t suit the system as much.

Bissouma for me is a more complete player than Rodri and has been one of my favourite prem players for 2 seasons. He can do a bit of everything but Rodri is a classier passer of the ball so probably suits City’s system more.

The systems are different and suit different players but in general City have more depth than us and a finished first 11. However I don’t think we are that far off that. 2-3 more elite signings and we are getting pretty close. I just don’t see us making 2-3 more elite signings by window close.

We're not going to get two or three elite signings though, certainly not for another season at least. But we're definitely heading in the right direction and will continue to do so under Conte.

LLORISFORSTERWHITEMANAUSTIN
ROMEROSANCHEZTANGANGA
DIERRODONPaskotski
DAVIESLENGLETMFW
DOHERTYSPENCEROYALSayers
PERISICSESSEGNONREGUILON
BENTANCURSKIPPWINKSDevine
BISSOUMAHOJBJERGNDOMBELEWhite
KULUSEVSKISARRGLCScarlett
SONLUCASGILParrott
KANERICHARSONEtete

We need another CB and IMO an AM.

Last edited:
Our forward line is better, but we are not where we were defensively in 16/17. Our first eleven was better when we had the pair of Vertonghen and Alderweireld as CBs and Walker and Rose as fullback, a younger Lloris in goal, and Dembele and Wanyama/Dier in front of the back four. I'd say that all of those, in their 15/16 version, possibly with the exception of Wanyama/Dier, would have strengthend our current first eleven.

We also had Kane, Son, a promising Alli and a marvelous Eriksen as our front men back then. Although Kane and Son has certainly improved since, I'd say our first eleven was stronger then. And our backup then wasn't bad either.
It's close - 2016 vs 2022 Spurs: a lot of young talent on that 2016 team, vs greater experience now. Then there's the Conte factor. If he was coaching that 2016 team maybe we would have won a trophy.

We're still a big gap away from Liverpool & City. The battle is for 3rd with Chelsea imo.

Poch team had a better XI, right now we have a better squad. Think that's a fair summary? Back in 16/17 we had two top class centrebacks playing at their peak, great wing-backs, Lloris in his prime, Eriksen & Dembele in their prime in midfield etc.

I think our counter attacking forward line has been set in place for a few years and is well established…. Agree on City, so much resilience in their squad that injuries to 2 or 3 of the best players don’t impact them. Not the case with Liv, saw their form without Allison and VVD two seasons ago. Mane will be a big loss
I don't necessarily agree on City. An injury to Haaland and they potentially lose a lot of goals, as they've sold 2 players that contributed 21 goals last season.

Grealish might be the Sterling replacement, but he's never been a prolific goal scorer, so there's no reason to believe he'll replicate Sterling's numbers, or even Jesus's.

Yes they still have goals in other players, but if the expectation is that Haaland will weigh in with 25+ goals, losing him for an extensive period of time could have a big impact.

Romero, Kane, Son. That's it. And I'd say Bissouma, Kane, Son, Romero for Liverpool .. and that last one is debatable as Konate was a beast for them 2nd half of the season. Obviously this isn't how football 'works' and lineup comparisons far from tell the whole story, but these teams have much larger lists of elite level players.

I don't necessarily agree on City. An injury to Haaland and they potentially lose a lot of goals, as they've sold 2 players that contributed 21 goals last season.

Grealish might be the Sterling replacement, but he's never been a prolific goal scorer, so there's no reason to believe he'll replicate Sterling's numbers, or even Jesus's.

Yes they still have goals in other players, but if the expectation is that Haaland will weigh in with 25+ goals, losing him for an extensive period of time could have a big impact.
Scored 13 PL goals last season. Not convinced they will miss him and the South American striker looks a great prospect

“Potential” is the key word.

Claims that we’ve got a squad depth like Citeh’s is just daft … but only 11 players can be on the pitch at once, and look at our results from last year against them..

For me, this is an exciting squad and Conte has really had a chance to drill them with his philosophy. About a million miles away ftom ‘Arry’s instructions to “go out and run abaaht a bit”.

This has the POTENTIAL to be the best spurs team in my lifetime. Seen a lot of support for the peak Poch team but that was just a peak Poch 11. Thé bench now is already comfortably better than that bench. However I’m not getting carried away until the season starts. We’re not Everton, trying to win the transfer window.

The low end this season is being in a dogfight for 4th with Man Utd much improved and one of West Ham or Woolwich having a great season. This happens if we get injuries, our new signings don’t click and we get unlucky / costly freak errors.

The high end is we challenge City and Liverpool for the title. I don’t think that’s crazy with the squad and manager we have. They get unlucky, all our signings not just click but look better under Conte. Kulu and Bentancur step their game up another 10%. The chaos of the World Cup works in our favour, Kane and Son both have great seasons and De Bruyne and Salah pick up Injuries at unfortunate times. You don’t need an unrealistic swing, just a few moments.

As with all squads, this one will be judged on its results and swagger. We have the morale, the characters and the talents in the squad… but things change very quickly in football so let’s see. Enjoy the ride!

Romero-dier under Conte is just as good as toby-vert in their prime
Will Ferrell Chill GIF

Bissouma instead of rodri or goudron isn't a downgrade. Perisic may be better lb (assuming he copes with PL)

Bissouma instead of rodri or goudron isn't a downgrade. Perisic may be better lb (assuming he copes with PL)

I didn't say it was a downgrade. But Bissouma is much more like Fernandinho who's just left than he is Rodri, so it's hard to compare even the two if the play in the same position.

We beat them twice last season. And unlike under Mourinho, it wasn’t daylight robbery.

I think we’ll finish third but there’s definitely a world where we challenge this season.

Back
Top Bottom