James Mclean refuses to wear a poppy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You can't force people to wear poppies, which I think is exactly the kind of thing those who fought in the world wars were fighting against. If he doesn't want to wear one fine, leave him alone. It's his choice.
It's not as if he was burning poppies, or disrupting the minutes silence like the subhuman scum :ap: at the Villa match on Sturday.

The whole uproar is a joke though, there was an uproar when Rory McIlroy, an Ulster Catholic, had the temerity to drape himself in an Ulster flag at the Ryder Cup, and then to say he felt more British than Irish. The irony is that the same people supporting McClean's expression of self determination were the most severe on McIlroy's self same expression and vice versa.

Welcome to the crazy world of Irish politics.

It never has made sense. The original Irish Nationalism movements and cultural revivals were co-founded by Protestants and the IVF fought for the British as well as the UVF in WW1.

Both volunteered under false domestic promises. Furthermore, both were sent to the worst battles of attrition. People in Northern Ireland always have a lot more in common than the political propaganda suggests. There are very selective memories when it comes to British/Irish history, but what can you do?

We do learn it a bit more in the school curriculum growing up now but as long as the schools are divided you still live a significant part of your life with the division. Furthermore, if you learn one thing at school and then go home and someone you know gets killed over it then it's often a pointless process.

McClean says he finds the British flag offensive yet chooses to move to mainland Britain to live. You'd hope one might realise the contradiction of the whole thing one day, especially since the actual Republic have no problem any more, and not much has changed down there but for a few road signs being in km/h. I've just come to accept people see things differently.

There are people all over Britain that oppose the subsequent wars and therefore wear no poppy or wear white poppies as T pointed out here. Moreover, I'm sure on the other side of things there are people that find the paying of £1 once a year to wear a poppy disrespectful, if they actually spend their whole lives dealing with the military and veterans and the problems with PTSD or other consequences of war efforts.

If the poppy just meant thanks for the sacrifice of WW1 then I don't see the controversy. Unfortunately, the appeal can be mixed up with support the troops, and therefore support the subsequent or current wars the British Army are involved in. Some people also feel to really support the troops would be to end the wars, which is what the remembrance message perhaps should be. On the other hand, if you wear a white poppy and still use petrol to fill up your car then surely it could be seen as just as contradictory to say you oppose the current wars.

Overall, I've come to the conclusion of not worrying about people's personal view on it. I disagree with McClean's reasoning, but there are many different angles to many different things...

Keep politics out of sport. This poppy thing comes up every year. Why are soldiers marching across our football pitches before games?

The two things are totally unconnected. There was a national minutes silence around the country, but another one at every game....its tv propaganda and means nothing, because everyone in the stadium couldnt give a toss once the whistle blows. They came to see a match.

How many people there voluntarily went and laid a wreath somewhere? If they did, great, they chose a time to reflect, instead of having it put on them at a sports event.

It is almost amusing when people get themselves in a fit of rage about something that is of no consequence to any one but possibly the person in the question. Has there been any information given as to the connection of his family and any of the innocent people who were killed during Bloody Sunday? I know some people who have utmost respect for anyone who serves but don't wear the poppy because it feels, more than ever, a political statement rather than a salute to those who have died during battle.

My view is, it's more offensive to demand someone wear a poppy, it goes against everything fought for.

Back
Top Bottom