James Milner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just wondered if anybody else thinks he is worth seriously pursuing?

Given how he's been so unfashionable and I've always been uninspired seeing him in an England squad with various other names, I feel a bit like I'm delusional because I keep thinking he'd be a great signing.

All the things I think we keep lacking and/or need more of; leadership (by example), experience, versatile, English, been a winner, total professional, decent player, fit, mobile, tenacious.

He's 29 but what an important 2-3 years he could give us whilst building a mostly young squad with potential (that some may never realise).

Thing is £100k a week on a 3yr contract makes it about a £15m deal. Equivalent of paying about £8.5m transfer fee and £40k odd a week on somebody else. They'd most likely be younger and have a sell-on value but, it's the same-old-same-old doing that, won't tick as many boxes overall and may not work at all.

Interested in opinions although it's 95% irrelevant as bet he's not remotely on our radar.

Not only would he play in the first team, he would be great with the younger players.
I said this in the transfer thread, but the general reply seemed to be that he is too good for the likes of us.

I like him too but he doesn't play as an inverted winger. Where do we play him? In a 4-2-3-1, I'm not too sure he is 1 of the 2 in central midfield.

Milner over Schniderlin all day for me.

But not sure how that would work with a manger that has a specific plan, and no creativity in team selection. I could imagine him playing Milner as a static holding mid, sitting behind Bentaleb.

IMO, Bentaleb should encouraged to get forward much more, and it would be interesting to see him and Milner playing a more box to box role, and abandoning that awful "highline press" thing altogether. The two CMs could both get up and down the pitch alternatively throughout the course of a match, bolstering both the CBs and the AMs.

The 'too good for us' thing is a problem but if you're making a big enough play for him and can demonstrate his importance to our ambition then he strikes me as the type who wouldn't completely dismiss us.

Liverpool look favourites and with Gerrard going he's probably going to end up their captain soon enough.

I like him too but he doesn't play as an inverted winger. Where do we play him? In a 4-2-3-1, I'm not too sure he is 1 of the 2 in central midfield.

I think he can play almost anywhere, he even scored goals up front for City!
This could be great for a tactically versatile manager to utilise him or, equally as great for a stubborn one as it least he should be able to play wherever he sticks him!

He has experience in premier league and has been in a winning squad, exactly what we don't have, can really help all the midfield understand their roles and set a good example, either as DM or a high end Ryan Mason

No thanks. We need attacking players with guile and/or pace. Milner plays best himself when surrounded by technical players. We've had enough workhorses.

For his age and wages not worth it, keep going with the youth and look at long term options whether that's Schneiderlin or somebody else.

IMO, Bentaleb should encouraged to get forward much more, and it would be interesting to see him and Milner playing a more box to box role, and abandoning that awful "highline press" thing altogether. The two CMs could both get up and down the pitch alternatively throughout the course of a match, bolstering both the CBs and the AMs.
Are you not describing the way our midfield currently operates?

Back
Top Bottom