January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, ship sailed (especially with de Jong).

I think the only HOPE in de Ligt is that he seems to have his head screwed on in terms of his development and doesn't want to chase money. He's been asked numerous times about his future and he loves the fact he's at Ajax now and wants to continue his development so he MAY see Spurs as better for his development and look at us as a stepping stone (Which we can then hopefully prove is not the case and challenge)

But I do think they're both going elsewhere. Our best bet is to just find the next de Jong or de Ligt. There are fucking talented players out there, just got to get there first which as we know is very hard to do. But can we afford to go out and take gambles? Or do we need proven stars right now to push us?

I think the only HOPE in de Ligt is that he seems to have his head screwed on in terms of his development and doesn't want to chase money. He's been asked numerous times about his future and he loves the fact he's at Ajax now and wants to continue his development so he MAY see Spurs as better for his development and look at us as a stepping stone (Which we can then hopefully prove is not the case and challenge)

But I do think they're both going elsewhere. Our best bet is to just find the next de Jong or de Ligt. There are fucking talented players out there, just got to get there first which as we know is very hard to do. But can we afford to go out and take gambles?
De ligt will go to Barcelona I think. Fits them like a glove. And pique is finished.

De ligt will go to Barcelona I think. Fits them like a glove. And pique is finished.

It's not a bad shout at all.

I hope de Jong goes there personally (if he doesn't come here) because that could piss off a few Barca B talent, especially the likes of Ricki Puig who would fit us like a glove.

I think de Ligt goes to Bayern

Last edited:
Indeed, the are just too hyped.

Instead of De Jong we should be all over Tielemans. The guy is pure class too.

He has great vision, brilliant passing and is down to earth.

I guess we could get him for 30-35 million. He would carry us for many years.

30-35 mill? The price will be 65 mill plus. Monaco do not sell their players cheaply.

We do if we lose our "plucky underdog" mentality. But we'll end up trying to pretend Bailley is a top class signing because he came from Man Ure.

Bailly has ridiculous potential.

But we have Sanchez (who is younger and has just as much potential). It'd be a stupid signing and I imagine we're only linked because of the continuous Alderweireld to United rumours.

Bailly has ridiculous potential.

But we have Sanchez (who is younger and has just as much potential). It'd be a stupid signing and I imagine we're only linked because of the continuous Alderweireld to United rumours.

We need a leader in defence, most of our problems are caused because no one at the back is taking charge. I'd love Dav or Foyth to start taking the lead and giving those round them a bollocking. Bailly looks a bit of a loose cannon and we couldn't have that beside players who won't say Boo. We might not get De Ligt, but we have to be in for him to the bitter end. If not, the boy from Sampdoria looks a decent backup.

However if City or Liverwank were to get De Ligt, our limitations will be getting in the top four, because the league is a goner.

We need a leader in defence, most of our problems are caused because no one at the back is taking charge. I'd love Dav or Foyth to start taking the lead and giving those round them a bollocking. Bailly looks a bit of a loose cannon and we couldn't have that beside players who won't say Boo. We might not get De Ligt, but we have to be in for him to the bitter end. If not, the boy from Sampdoria looks a decent backup.

However if City or Liverwank were to get De Ligt, our limitations will be getting in the top four, because the league is a goner.

Bailly is as much of a loose cannon as Sanchez is. They're very similar, in fact the biggest difference is that Sanchez is usually partnered with Vertonghen or Alderweireld and Bailly is partnered with Lindelof, Jones or Smalling.

I personally don't think a centre back is needed at all. Especially not this summer. Would much rather a left back, central midfield and right back over a centre back.

But I do think they're both going elsewhere. Our best bet is to just find the next de Jong or de Ligt. There are fucking talented players out there, just got to get there first which as we know is very hard to do. But can we afford to go out and take gambles? Or do we need proven stars right now to push us?

Problem is with us is if we find the next De Ligt, Ndombele or De Jong but they are under the radar we will probably try and lowball as they aren’t proven players, then when they do become proven they go out of our league.

Way I see it is if we ever want to compete with City we will at some point have to break the bank and I don’t see that happening.

Problem is with us is if we find the next De Ligt, Ndombele or De Jong but they are under the radar we will probably try and lowball as they aren’t proven players, then when they do become proven they go out of our league.

Way I see it is if we ever want to compete with City we will at some point have to break the bank and I don’t see that happening.

We broke the bank to sign Davinson Sanchez (who had ONE YEARS European experience). I don't think we're afraid

We broke the bank to sign Davinson Sanchez (who had ONE YEARS European experience). I don't think we're afraid

I think with Davinson that Pochettino found his perfect specimen and style to mould. Big, boisterous, aggressive with a nice bit of Ajax finesse worked into his game. For me I think it was something Pochettino really wanted to develop him in his image. It'll be interesting to see if we fork out similar money for a player that didn't play in Mauricios position where he can't mould their mindset a little more

If we are looking at centre halves, I think De Ligt, Ake, Dunk and Bailly are all good options. Bailly has been ruined by Mourinho, but there’s a player in there.

Bailly is as much of a loose cannon as Sanchez is. They're very similar, in fact the biggest difference is that Sanchez is usually partnered with Vertonghen or Alderweireld and Bailly is partnered with Lindelof, Jones or Smalling.

I personally don't think a centre back is needed at all. Especially not this summer. Would much rather a left back, central midfield and right back over a centre back.

We are losing a centre back come the summer (unless of course no one wants to pay £25 million for him) in which case we certainly shouldn't be renewing a contract. We have one other CB on a year year extension and after that we have two senior CBs. We'll need another, you have to have four good quality CBs.

Then there's tactics, what will Poch play? Does he see 3-5-2 with genuine wingbacks or 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? 3-5-2 means the likes of Trippier or Davies don't need to defend as much thus taking away the weakest part of their games. 4 at the back means we need all the players you say we need.

But we do need a centre half.

We are losing a centre back come the summer (unless of course no one wants to pay £25 million for him) in which case we certainly shouldn't be renewing a contract. We have one other CB on a year year extension and after that we have two senior CBs. We'll need another, you have to have four good quality CBs.

Then there's tactics, what will Poch play? Does he see 3-5-2 with genuine wingbacks or 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? 3-5-2 means the likes of Trippier or Davies don't need to defend as much thus taking away the weakest part of their games. 4 at the back means we need all the players you say we need.

But we do need a centre half.

We have four centre backs (If Toby leaves) in Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth and Dier, with many young excellent centre halves in our youth academy to step up if needed (and even CCV if Poch feels he can add depth as 5th choice) How often do centre backs REALLY get injured? Especially more than one at a time. We worry at the moment because amazingly and rarely Vertonghen and Sanchez are both injured. Centre back will be a position we perhaps need strengthening in 2020 but next summer? Wouldn't dare. It's not a priority.

Poch is fluid - he'll play whatever formation is required in certain games as well as picking players who can move fluidly into these formations throughout a game. if Trippier and Davies are both here and are starting as our full backs/wingbacks within the next year, I'd be fucking stunned.

We have four centre backs (If Toby leaves) in Vertonghen, Sanchez, Foyth and Dier, with many young excellent centre halves in our youth academy to step up if needed (and even CCV if Poch feels he can add depth as 5th choice) How often do centre backs REALLY get injured? Especially more than one at a time. We worry at the moment because amazingly and rarely Vertonghen and Sanchez are both injured. Centre back will be a position we perhaps need strengthening in 2020 but next summer? Wouldn't dare. It's not a priority.

Poch is fluid - he'll play whatever formation is required in certain games as well as picking players who can move fluidly into these formations throughout a game. if Trippier and Davies are both here and are starting as our full backs/wingbacks within the next year, I'd be fucking stunned.
But neither of those guys bar Vertonghen (who is turning 32 in April) are a field commander that is going to take charge of our backline. Hell, arguably Toby isn't one either since we've seen the backline lose focus and let opposition players through far too easily time and time again once Jan went away hurt.

We need to look at bringing in a central defender with leadership qualities that can take charge in the backline when Jan is out hurt/leaves/retires. Doing so would also take pressure off of Davinson and Foyth where they would not have to shoulder that role until they have more experience and are ready for it.

It's the same situation as the United backline. They don't have a leader either. The closest they have is Smalling but he does not have control over the other defenders. And Mourinho are looking to at least temporarily fix that problem in January if rumours are to be believed.

But neither of those guys bar Vertonghen (who is turning 32 in April) are a field commander that is going to take charge of our backline. Hell, arguably Toby isn't one either since we've seen the backline lose focus and let opposition players through far too easily time and time again once Jan went away hurt.

We need to look at bringing in a central defender with leadership qualities that can take charge in the backline when Jan is out hurt/leaves/retires. Doing so would also take pressure off of Davinson and Foyth where they would not have to shoulder that role until they have more experience and are ready for it.

It's the same situation as the United backline. They don't have a leader either. The closest they have is Smalling but he does not have control over the other defenders. And Mourinho are looking to at least temporarily fix that problem in January if rumours are to be believed.

Why are we talking like Vertonghen is gone in 2020? Why wouldn't he sign another deal with us? And if he doesn't, we'd have his replacement in mind (You would think).

Centre back is not a priority. I question anyone who really thinks centre back is a priority over left back or central midfield (I can leave right back as we have Aurier and KWP for now).

Why are we talking like Vertonghen is gone in 2020? Why wouldn't he sign another deal with us? And if he doesn't, we'd have his replacement in mind (You would think).

Centre back is not a priority. I question anyone who really thinks centre back is a priority over left back or central midfield (I can leave right back as we have Aurier and KWP for now).

I read or remember hearing Jan say that it's an optional year that is down to us to kick in. No way we are letting him go if that's the case

Back
Top Bottom