January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Correction. FFP is very effective against the regular clubs. As we've seen with football leaks FIFA are fully willing to bend over backwards for their "favoured" clubs.

Just look at how they went at Milan. It certainly is effective when they want it to be.

The problem with FFP is that, as with all financial legislation, avoidance rather than evasion is easy if you have the right people working at it and you know the letter of the law.

As quick as they change the law to catch up the clubs in question will change their policy to avoid it.

Institutional corruption from the top down within the governing body doesn't really help either.

:sonhmm:

I don't really give a fuck about Malcolm. I'm talking about you saying we've "spunked money on the Brazilian Lennon" after him playing less than 1500 mins in a Spurs shirt.

You may well be right but Its too early to make that call imo.

Drogba was signed for a record fee (at the age of 26 co-incidentally) and was criticised for his poor return in his first couple of seasons. They brought in Shevchenko to replace him.

Modric was criticised for his lack of goals / assists and for being too lightweight, he was played off the left wing and as a number ten until Redknapp started getting the best out of him.

Not sure how old you are but its easy to forget these things once the players have established themselves to the levels that these have.

Funnily enough Modirc was ALSO voted the worst signing of the season in La Liga in his first year at Madrid. So its clearly not just our fans that lack patience.

Also, when you look at the fee it really was a good deal worth going in for. That kind of money these days, what does it buy you?

He's excellent for the pressing game Pochettino likes and takes physical burden off of the others around him, most notably Harry. Lucas Moura is a far more accomplished footballer than Aaron Lennon ever was, so the claim that he is just that as put forward from another poster is ludicrous in my opinion.

The team are yet to hit their stride this season yet, let's see how he does when we are dominating games and he gets to focus on his build up and link play. All in all I'd say his defensive contribution, his directness without shying away, which many would do in a new team and his tenacity give a great vigour to the team when it's needed. I'm excited to see what he can do once the team is fit, in a groove and back in N17

Also, when you look at the fee it really was a good deal worth going in for. That kind of money these days, what does it buy you?

He's excellent for the pressing game Pochettino likes and takes physical burden off of the others around him, most notably Harry. Lucas Moura is a far more accomplished footballer than Aaron Lennon ever was, so the claim that he is just that as put forward from another poster is ludicrous in my opinion.

The team are yet to hit their stride this season yet, let's see how he does when we are dominating games and he gets to focus on his build up and link play. All in all I'd say his defensive contribution, his directness without shying away, which many would do in a new team and his tenacity give a great vigour to the team when it's needed. I'm excited to see what he can do once the team is fit, in a groove and back in N17

He has been excellent at this. Particularly with interceptions, as hes blisteringly quick over a couple of yards. The opposition pass a square ball anywhere near him at their peril.

Another video highlighting Sunderland starlet Josh Maja that we are being linked to.

He seems a prospect. I am interested in seeing what he could become as Kane's understudy

I don't really give a fuck about Malcolm. I'm talking about you saying we've "spunked money on the Brazilian Lennon" after him playing less than 1500 mins in a Spurs shirt.

You may well be right but Its too early to make that call imo.

Drogba was signed for a record fee (at the age of 26 co-incidentally) and was criticised for his poor return in his first couple of seasons. They brought in Shevchenko to replace him.

Modric was criticised for his lack of goals / assists and for being too lightweight, he was played off the left wing and as a number ten until Redknapp started getting the best out of him.

Not sure how old you are but its easy to forget these things once the players have established themselves to the levels that these have.

Funnily enough Modirc was ALSO voted the worst signing of the season in La Liga in his first year at Madrid. So its clearly not just our fans that lack patience.

Modric and Drogba were valued by their managers and fans and both played just about every game available in their first seasons and second.

Wenger was quoted as saying he didn’t sign Modric because they feared he’d be too lightweight - which by the end of his first year was blatantly bollocks shared by nobody. And nobody criticised him for not scoring enough in that first year - any more than they did throughout his time - and it was only idiot pundits that did anyway. Redknapp played him in far more games as a LM than the 6/7 Ramos had him for in that first season, and only fuckwits paid any attention to Redknapp’s “he couldn’t get a game before I got here” bullshit.

Likewise, Drogba was loved by Mourinho and most Chelsea fans and played almost every game he was fit in his first theee seasons. Shevchenko was foisted on the manager by Abramovich, because he was his favourite player, not because the manager didn’t rate Drogba.

All this is irrelevant to what I said anyway. Which was that I just thought Malcom had potential to turn out better than Moura, but that now we’ve bought Moura we won’t sign Malcom.

Moura’s capable of making a decent contribution, I haven’t said otherwise, I just don’t think he’ll ever be outstanding.

I think if Lucas chips in with 10 goals in the league this season, he’d be seen as money well spent. He’s still very new to the team and if memory serves me right we’ve only seen Lucas, Eriksen & Dele start together in one game this season so far, which we won comprehensively up at Old Trafford. Having him, Lamela & Son vying for that final starting position can only be a good thing for us

Again, I’m not really disputing any of that logic, I was just saying - in relation to the article saying we chose Moura over Malcom - that I would have preferred we we chose Malcom, because while acknowledging he’s less “proven” or established as Moura, I just thought his ceiling of potential could possibly be higher.

Still maintain belief Poch wanted Malcom but Levy thought Lucas was better value for money. Simple as that.

Malcom isn't coming here now and it's a position we simply do not need filling now. Lucas has been brilliant for us though and I think he will only get better. So happy with the choice we made.

Again, I’m not really disputing any of that logic, I was just saying - in relation to the article saying we chose Moura over Malcom - that I would have preferred we we chose Malcom, because while acknowledging he’s less “proven” or established as Moura, I just thought his ceiling of potential could possibly be higher.
look, you made a stupid throwaway comment about him being the brazillian lennon, which is what people are taking umbridge with. just own your fuck up and move on.

look, you made a stupid throwaway comment about him being the brazillian lennon, which is what people are taking umbridge with. just own your fuck up and move on.

giphy.webp

Thomas Partey from Atletico Madrid would be brilliant as a replacement for Dembele. Strong & powerful DM who isn't afraid to actually pass the ball forward or go for goal

Haven’t seen much of him, but I like the look. Reminds me a bit of Wanyama in his ability to reduce pressure on the team. Is he a regular? If so, would he be up for a lateral move?

Haven’t seen much of him, but I like the look. Reminds me a bit of Wanyama in his ability to reduce pressure on the team. Is he a regular? If so, would he be up for a lateral move?
Yeah he's a regular, normally in a midfield two with Saul Niguez who's an incredible player! Not sure on being up for a move, you'll have to ask him :levylol:

Back
Top Bottom