January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neither Aarons or Lewis (who I thought looked great last season) impressed me much.
Zimmerman looked solid.
Cantwell was only on for minutes but looked pretty good.

I would be surprised if we made more than one signing in Jan (to be honest, it would not surprise me if we brought nobody in)

If we had to bring in either a right back or a DM in Jan only (the other could still be purchased in the summer) which one does everyone think would be more urgent?

The Bale deal revolves around Bale accepting a payment from Madrid to cancel the remaining 600k a week 2.5 year contract ... that's a 70 million contract.

The deal under discussion is Eriksen + 25m from Spurs - RM then pay Bale 25m to cancel his contract and Spurs give him a new 3.5 year contract on 300k a week ... those two together are worth about 70m as well.

Bale takes a hit both on the extra year and on higher UK taxes, but Spurs can offer some substantial potential bonuses which he won't get as a RM bench player.

What Bale brings is a winners mentality, fit or not in big games he has always performed ...

We don't want to pay him 300k and would rather pay him the same as Harry with bonuses, problem is the RM contract is guaranteed before bonuses. Definitely more than just a rumour but equally not a done deal.

It has to be now for us as Eriksen is free come the summer ... getting rid of Bale now will save RM 15m in salary and solve a big managerial headache. For them gaining Eriksen for six months + 15m saved just might get this over the line. The good news is no other club can do a similar deal there just aren't any more players of Eriksen's ability available for under 100m ... makes sense to get this done, bring him home.
If that happens I will soil myself in excitement, Bale is perfect because we know he will get the odd injury - meaning Lucas won't be completely devoid of game time in the same way that a back up striker would be (Kane usually gets a 6 week ankle injury a season but is fit rest of the year)

I don't care what Mourinho and Levy say; I fully expect at least two new faces this January.

I can see us going for Matic despite his age and cost. Especially if we can get someone to take Wanyama.

We are desperate for a defensive midfielder. He was strongly linked with us when Mourinho joined too. Plus it’s obvious Mourinho rates him. Whether it’s a good idea I am unsure, but for 18 months we could do worse than signing an experienced premier league midfielder.

Levy has paid a fee and wages for a player of that age before if the manager really wanted him. Llorente was signed for £12 million and on high wages. So I could see him going for it again.

Although obviously the most likely scenario is nobody in.

Last edited:
I’m not too bothered about who we sign as long as he starts in the first game he’s available. I’m bored with waiting 50 million years for players to learn English/lose weight/make friends/get down with the handshakes/understand the woolwich thing.

Bollocks to integration - do that thing with the ball at your feet. I loved Poch, but he was terrible at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom