January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Promising players with a high ceiling is how we ended up massively overpaying for Sessegnon and Clarke.

If you expect us to build a squad to get back into the top 4 purely out of EPL players in their mid-late 20s that have no prospect of a resale value and have already max'd out their wages then a) don't expect our trf & wage budget to stretch very far and b) you should look forward to being Everton from the last 5 years.

Deep, successful scouting is the key to any team punching above their financial weight; not buying a bunch of players that the richer EPL clubs deem beneath them.

If you expect us to build a squad to get back into the top 4 purely out of EPL players in their mid-late 20s that have no prospect of a resale value and have already max'd out their wages then a) don't expect our trf & wage budget to stretch very far and b) you should look forward to being Everton from the last 5 years.

Deep, successful scouting is the key to any team punching above their financial weight; not buying a bunch of players that the richer EPL clubs deem beneath them.
The stadium is built now and crowds are back - at least for now - so it is generating revenue through football and other events ... NFL games, heavyweight boxing. The argument that our financial weight is still where it was 4 years ago is getting thin.

If we had brought in two out of the 3 players I mentioned (Ings, Daka and Lingard) we would be closer to a top 4 squad than our scouting of young players will get us. Do you reckon either Clarke or Sessegnon will ever start 10 premier league games for us?

Scouting yes, but also then good coaching to develop the players.

Allied with getting the most out of the academy - one or two players a year, but that also requires club to get decent loans for the 18/19/20 year old youngsters to hep develop them.

Allied with getting the most out of the academy - one or two players a year, but that also requires club to get decent loans for the 18/19/20 year old youngsters to hep develop them.
Sessegnon is the same age as Smith-Rowe and Clarke is the same age as Saka. How come they can do it up the road without loans and we can't?

The stadium is built now and crowds are back - at least for now - so it is generating revenue through football and other events ... NFL games, heavyweight boxing. The argument that our financial weight is still where it was 4 years ago is getting thin.

If we had brought in two out of the 3 players I mentioned (Ings, Daka and Lingard) we would be closer to a top 4 squad than our scouting of young players will get us. Do you reckon either Clarke or Sessegnon will ever start 10 premier league games for us?

Problem with Ings is his age - 30 next summer and Lingard is only 6 months behind.

I was certainly tempted by Ings - but with his age how many years do you think we get out of him, so he's good cover but for only a couple of years .? Doesn't help that he's in the same age group as Kane, Son and Moura (and the now departed Lemela) so over next couple of years we need to spend a lot to upgrade our forwards - I'm sure that the arrival of Gill is the start of that replacement program.

I have no idea why we paid as much for Sessegnon as we did - but Poch had chased him for 2 years as the 'next big thing' ......... however due to injuries we have yet to see it. Clarke at £10m is at the top end of what top youngsters go for with minimal experience - Sancho left Man City for Dortmund for even more despite it being a forced sale (Sancho refusing to sign a contract) and Mancity refusing PL bids so very few clubs could have gone to.

Good job no-one made that argument then.

Nor is the argument isn't that we can't afford to buy Lingard.

We're the 5th richest club in the league (when that changes let me know)...... Top 4 requires us to "punch above our financial weight".

If we had brought in two out of the 3 players I mentioned (Ings, Daka and Lingard) we would be closer to a top 4 squad than our scouting of young players will get us.

Daka is more in line with my argument than yours.... He's a young uproven player from the Austrian league FFS!

Our problem is that we didn't scout ANYONE to play ST not that we didn't get DI or JL.

Do you reckon either Clarke or Sessegnon will ever start 10 premier league games for us?

Perhaps not, but Dier, Dele and plenty of other players have..... Grealish was the much fabled one that got away..... Eze is settling in fine.... Bowen & Benrhama doing well at WH..... Souchec from the Czech league........ Leicester won the league with 2 key players that were dug from a French relegation battle......

Sessegnon is the same age as Smith-Rowe and Clarke is the same age as Saka. How come they can do it up the road without loans and we can't?

Its either loans and/or first team experience.

Tanganga has just about succeeded on first team experience, Skipp has improved dramatically with a loan, most Spurs youngsters have been failed by club in recent year by providing neither. And that is down to the coach.

Sure, I think we're on the same page in terms of the opinion we're rejecting here.

Good job no-one made that argument then.

Nor is the argument isn't that we can't afford to buy Lingard.

We're the 5th richest club in the league (when that changes let me know)...... Top 4 requires us to "punch above our financial weight".

Daka is more in line with my argument than yours.... He's a young uproven player from the Austrian league FFS!

Our problem is that we didn't scout ANYONE to play ST not that we didn't get DI or JL.

Perhaps not, but Dier, Dele and plenty of other players have..... Grealish was the much fabled one that got away..... Eze is settling in fine.... Bowen & Benrhama doing well at WH..... Souchec from the Czech league........ Leicester won the league with 2 key players that were dug from a French relegation battle......
Daka was playing in the Champions League and scoring goals.

On the topic of strikers in the January window,

Alfredo Morelos has wanted out of Rangers for a while now and has scored boat loads for them over his stay there. 11 league goals last year, 17 in total. Obviously the step from the Scottish Prem to the PL is a bit steep but Edouard has proven that it is not that hard to make. 25 years old and contract until 2023.

Or do we torpedo Scotty Parker's season and put in a bid for Solanke, who is on 10 goals in the Championship as we speak this season and scored 15 last season?

Sessegnon had a season in the PL where he flopped... and was injured when we bought him.
As for Clarke, what evidence of promise was there for him? He wasn't even in the Leeds team.
Beats me what they saw in Clarke. I have seen him a few times now for us and I don't remember ever seeing him do anything that would make you think there is a top player in there.

Clarke was not a gamble that made any sense.

He cost the same as Olise, who was sensational in the championship last season. Meanwhile when we bought Clarke, he did not even start for Leeds.

Who knows.... Scouts must have seen something in him.

(IIRC he was looking good and started getting games for Bielsa, but then got seriously ill.)

On the topic of strikers in the January window,

Alfredo Morelos has wanted out of Rangers for a while now and has scored boat loads for them over his stay there. 11 league goals last year, 17 in total. Obviously the step from the Scottish Prem to the PL is a bit steep but Edouard has proven that it is not that hard to make. 25 years old and contract until 2023.

Or do we torpedo Scotty Parker's season and put in a bid for Solanke, who is on 10 goals in the Championship as we speak this season and scored 15 last season?
Solanke and Morelos? Jesus fucking wept.

Back
Top Bottom