January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Never see him play but, from his highlight reels, Nusa looks genuinely skilled against his opposition— as opposed to a number of reels that I’ve seen where prospects look entirely average. So, in that sense, I’m disappointed.
Given that Chelsea, Newcastle and us were interested and at least one of those clubs could have (and probably would have) matched Brenford’s financial terms, this is obviously about playing time assurances in order to develop. Perhaps, we could have ‘guaranteed’ him a decent loan but obviously not playing time with Son (and probably others) ahead of him.
The other thing to note is that a ‘bidding war’ is only possible if the player agrees to allow it. At the end of the day, he controls his destination and if he refuses to go to a higher bidder then there’s nothing the seller can do other than refuse him the move based on the fact that his preferred club aren’t paying market value. As fans, we out a lot of stock into the the prestige and glamour associated with our club (and others) but to an 18 year old looking to develop, it seems as if the club’s name was less important. Nusa clearly wasn’t holding out for Tottenham.

I won’t fault the kid for making a business decision like that. Gets a move to London, guarantees playing time so he can develop and will likely be getting that time on the pitch in the toughest league in the world*

*I’ll be rooting for Brentford to go down rest of the season because I’m a petty cunt:ange-bored:

it's all revisionist bullshit really isn't it?

Now the "oh Nusa doesn't even start for Brugge" posts appear. Now Ally Gold tells us why he chose Brentford (anyone actually believe he got some insider knowledge on this from Nusas camp ffs?).

Well I imagine if theyve lied to him, he won't be there very long. It's clear not only himself but his entourage are handling his development carefully. Hence why he didn't just sign for Chelsea in the summer and let them loan him out and drag him from club to club.
He won't go anywhere, unless Brentford agree to it
We met with Brugge once and then never returned. Spurs weren't interested in an auction with other clubs and had reservations on whether he was ready or not.
Romano said talks were going to enter key stages and we wanted to push on before other clubs get interested.

Paratici went to Belgium last year

We have tracked him since.

By the time we get to face to face with a club we have done most of the work with intermediaries. That’s how we’ve done business over and over. That’s how we avoid auctions.

We wanted him and didn’t get it done. It sucks but that’s football. We will either regret it or we won’t.

That doesn't mean that the player and club's intermediaries don't continue to speak to other clubs in the meantime. (Nor does it mean that the oppo club can't hold out and delay things in hope of striring up other bidders in the meantime either... Not that I think that's what's happened here.).

If Brentford made an offer to the player that made more sense to him (gametime etc.) and Brentford offer the same money as us; they'll get their man.... Brugge wouldn't give a shit as long as the money is right.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean that the player and club's intermediaries don't continue to speak to other clubs in the meantime. (Nor does it mean that the oppo club can't hold out and delay things in hope of striring up other bidders in the meantime either... Not that I think that's what's happened here.).

If Brentford made an offer to the player that made more sense to him (gametime etc.) and Brentford offer the same money as us; they'll get their man.... Brugge would give a shit as long as the money is right.

I agree

Remind me how long Pep has been at city for?

I expected a better performance but they are a class above us and most teams on the planet right now and have been for a while. Expecting us to be at their level after 5 months with ange is a bit mad.
You didn't understand. I don't expect Ange to be where City is. But what most dont get is that if you are buying youngsters, you need a 3 year plan from when the first youngster is bought. Else you just growing them for teams who will offer them better salaries, who are known title and winners.

Will VDV, Romero, Dragusin, Udogie, Madison, Sarr all be with is in 5 years time? Madrid, Barcelona, City and now The Saudis will come to VDV in 3 years time, knowing he is coming up on his prime and offer him a great salary if he leaves at the end of his contract. Levy knows this, so like most of our Great players, he will let them go at a profit. He'll buy cheap youngsters again and the cycle will continue. Evey two or three years has been a rebuild for us. It's how Levy operates. We will never be on the Level of Liverpool, Madrid and City. Even Woolwich is showing us a real rebuild

Never heard of nusa, had to Google him when were linked:roseunsure:

So no big loss, think he have amassed quite a few young players with potential,both bought and nearly ready to break through from our academy.
To compete with cheats like city we now need 1 or 2 big boy buys imo

Never see him play but, from his highlight reels, Nusa looks genuinely skilled against his opposition— as opposed to a number of reels that I’ve seen where prospects look entirely average. So, in that sense, I’m disappointed.
Given that Chelsea, Newcastle and us were interested and at least one of those clubs could have (and probably would have) matched Brenford’s financial terms, this is obviously about playing time assurances in order to develop. Perhaps, we could have ‘guaranteed’ him a decent loan but obviously not playing time with Son (and probably others) ahead of him.
The other thing to note is that a ‘bidding war’ is only possible if the player agrees to allow it. At the end of the day, he controls his destination and if he refuses to go to a higher bidder then there’s nothing the seller can do other than refuse him the move based on the fact that his preferred club aren’t paying market value. As fans, we out a lot of stock into the the prestige and glamour associated with our club (and others) but to an 18 year old looking to develop, it seems as if the club’s name was less important. Nusa clearly wasn’t holding out for Tottenham.
Highlight reels is what 90% of people here are judging him off i think.

You didn't understand. I don't expect Ange to be where City is. But what most dont get is that if you are buying youngsters, you need a 3 year plan from when the first youngster is bought. Else you just growing them for teams who will offer them better salaries, who are known title and winners.

Will VDV, Romero, Dragusin, Udogie, Madison, Sarr all be with is in 5 years time? Madrid, Barcelona, City and now The Saudis will come to VDV in 3 years time, knowing he is coming up on his prime and offer him a great salary if he leaves at the end of his contract. Levy knows this, so like most of our Great players, he will let them go at a profit. He'll buy cheap youngsters again and the cycle will continue. Evey two or three years has been a rebuild for us. It's how Levy operates. We will never be on the Level of Liverpool, Madrid and City. Even Woolwich is showing us a real rebuild
🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆✔️

So he's not a reliable source any more then?

He can be. Like many other journalists.

However, like many other journalists, he relies on clicks and engagement. He also gets the majority of his info from agents, not clubs directly.

It looks more and more likely like they wanted some kind of bidding war for Nusa and we weren't interested, hence why we only met with Brugge once. Agents would have been pushing him and acting for the club, but Spurs and Brugge met once about it and that was it.

All Fab said from what I remember were that more talks were to take place between Spurs and Brugge. And they never did in the end.

Back
Top Bottom