January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Nobody I can see is forgetting that.

What has changed is the undeniable opportunity presented by Klopp leaving at the end of the season.

The question is, are we going to capitalise or not?
I have seen many examples of fans "forgetting" this is a rebuilding season. Of course, that does not mean expectations at the start of the season cannot or should not be adjusted to good football and good results.
What exactly has Klopp quitting Liverpool after this season anything to do with Spurs this season itself?

I have seen many examples of fans "forgetting" this is a rebuilding season. Of course, that does not mean expectations at the start of the season cannot or should not be adjusted to good football and good results.
What exactly has Klopp quitting Liverpool after this season anything to do with Spurs this season itself?

This season? nothing.

Next season? plenty

Yep, Levynomics. That’s why he won’t substantiate his views here.

Lowest cost base (Wages/Turnover).

We should 100% be about to mix it with the old guard of “Big Boys” constantly (excluding City due to doping, Utd and Liverpool due to huge worldwide support and likely higher revenues year to year aligned to this, Utds FFP issue will get resolved summer no doubt due to the 25% injection and multiple huge earners going).

Levynomics is the elephant in that room that was being swerved for sure.

Levynomics has provided a comfortable crutch to hang onto when we haven't won things. And now it's been a thing to celebrate because it has seen us spend when others can't.

In the summer, it's ironically the gust of wind bringing the high pressure to win back in. Thanks to Levynomics and FFP, we now have the level footing to compete financially and no excuse not to. With Klopp going fate has provided us with another Gilt Edged opportunity to win.

Will Levynomics be reason we don't go and get the Van Dijk/Allison type game changers to push us over the edge? Or will we be able to get them and stay within Levynomics?

For me that is where we are at.

The market will always have premium players and let's face it, that is what this squad is missing now.

A premium attacking player to compete with Son, play with Son and eventually replace him.
You're missing the point. Premium players have been going for North of £80M for a while now, so even middling players were commanding £40-50M price tags for the last few years. We still have clubs putting those £50M pricetags on now and no one, bar Brentford, is biting.

These selling clubs could put that down to being a Jan window, where little business gets done anyway. So, if they don't get their inflated sum now, they'll still be looking to get it in the Summer. However, 6 months won't change much in relation to P&S, so those not biting now, still won't be biting in the Summer. I reckon it'll take half the window for them to realise this, then we'll see prices drop to more realistic levels.

Selling clubs will still need to sell to balance their books. There are a huge amount, especially across Europe, who are reliant on player sales to balance those books. When demand is curtailed by P&S, there is only one way those prices can go, it becomes a buyers market, but it won't happen overnight.

I can't wrap my head around this window.

JUST £55m spent by PL clubs so far.
And we have spent nearly half of that on our own,

And we have one twenty one year old backup defender for that.
And we've spent just over half our January 2023 spend.

FFP is (finally) crippling everyone.

You're missing the point. Premium players have been going for North of £80M for a while now, so even middling players were commanding £40-50M price tags for the last few years. We still have clubs putting those £50M pricetags on now and no one, bar Brentford, is biting.

These selling clubs could put that down to being a Jan window, where little business gets done anyway. So, if they don't get their inflated sum now, they'll still be looking to get it in the Summer. However, 6 months won't change much in relation to P&S, so those not biting now, still won't be biting in the Summer. I reckon it'll take half the window for them to realise this, then we'll see prices drop to more realistic levels.

Selling clubs will still need to sell to balance their books. There are a huge amount, especially across Europe, who are reliant on player sales to balance those books. When demand is curtailed by P&S, there is only one way those prices can go, it becomes a buyers market, but it won't happen overnight.

I get you and agree with all of that.

Still think clubs will be prepared to drop 80m + on premium players in the summer but the volume of transfers overall will bring average prices and wage offers down eventually.

Well, we certainly seem to have changed how we identify players for a start, and consequently players like Sarr, Udogie etc have come in and been very successful.

Then there is the myth that we never spend money. There was of course a period during the stadium build when we didn't spend much, but that's definitely changed in the last few years with pretty big money being spent.

We've also taken opportunites in more difficult periods - for example, bringing in Bentancur and Kulu in a January window, something that would have been unlikely a couple of years before that.

Generally it seems Paratici's involvement has been a massive plus too.

Honestly mate, there has been plenty to dig out ENIC / Levy for over the years, but anyone peddling the narrative that over the last couple of years we have got worse in terms of transfer policy, surely that's just ostensibly nonsense, well for me anyway - I guess others are welcome to take an opposite view, but when comparing to a few years ago, I can't understand how anyone can't think that part of our operation has improved, unless of course they expect every single signing to be a success, which is just not realistic for any club.
But is any of this change going to be any different to when we last brought in a new recruitment team? Or the time before that, or the time before that?

Udogie and Sarr, yes they have turned out to be good players, but for every Sarr there’s a Gil, for every Udogie there’s a Spence. The club have always attempted to sign young cheap low risk players in the hope they turn into top stars. This practice was in place long before Paratici et al arrived.

People similarly bang on about Kulu and Bentancur. They were signed because we had a very angry Italian coach banging down the door demanding new players. Paratici then rang up his pals at Juve and said lads, who have ye got. Anyone who genuinely believes there was any plan or long standing scouting of them players is deluded beyond help.

And also for the record, I’m not saying that our recruitment has gotten worse in recent years, I just think behind all the bluster and talk of data driven approach fluff, it’s still the same old low risk, bare minimum approach we’ve always seen from ENIC. It will keep us as a club in and around the top 6, but to actually break the glass ceiling and win trophies? I just can’t see it.

I can't wrap my head around this window.

JUST £55m spent by PL clubs so far.
And we have spent nearly half of that on our own,

And we have one twenty one year old backup defender for that.
And we've spent just over half our January 2023 spend.

FFP is (finally) crippling everyone.

Otherwise known as Levynomics :sonpoint:

What's the diff. between "goal conversion" and "shot accuracy"; anyone?

Goal conversion would be about shots becoming goals

shot accuracy would be shots on target.

Darwin has a goal conversion rate of 14%. Can you even call yourself a striker with that? Maybe he's a box to box forward? or forward playing midfielder?

Alvarez being that low for goal conversion is a shocker as well.

Gotcha. Knew you wouldn’t be able to resist!

99O9.gif
🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom