Jimmy Greaves

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was referring to his goals in England
I'm not entirely sure anyone will, no.

What I will say though, is 21st century football is not the same as it was in the 60's when he was knocking them in for fun.
Back then they seemed to play 3-2-5 or 3-2-4-1
If we did that today, Kane would score more for sure, but it would be a nightmare at the back

I'm not entirely sure anyone will, no.

What I will say though, is 21st century football is not the same as it was in the 60's when he was knocking them in for fun.
Back then they seemed to play 3-2-5 or 3-2-4-1
If we did that today, Kane would score more for sure, but it would be a nightmare at the back
True, but then that should also apply to other countries.
Messi and Ronaldo have broken records.

True, but then that should also apply to other countries.
Messi and Ronaldo have broken records.

I have a theory on why those two scored so many (and why some others have in their time in Spain)

The La Liga table goes on head to head before goal difference.
Bottom clubs won't care about getting hammered 5-0 against Barcelona. They're likely to get beat and the score just doesn't matter.
In the PL, goal difference matters, so teams shut up shop. Getting beat 5-0 does matter compared to getting beat 1-0

The same applies to Serie A as well btw. Hence Ronaldo continuing to score for fun.

I don’t really agree with the honours system either but on this occasion yes as he gave so much pleasure to millions

I will never forget him and his partnership with Alan Gilzean
The. ‘G’ men

Great time to be a Spur

Reading through this thread has reignited an anger that has burned inside me for 28 years now, the shameful resetting of records to accomodate the fucking "Premier League Era", that at a stroke airbrushed so many greats from football history for most.

Let us pause to remember another leviathan, Sir Dixie Dean, whose monumental feat of 60 goals in a season has been largely forgotten beyond Goodison Park.

But hey, Mohammed Salah scored 32 a couple of years ago, which is far more noteworthy

Reading through this thread has reignited an anger that has burned inside me for 28 years now, the shameful resetting of records to accomodate the fucking "Premier League Era", that at a stroke airbrushed so many greats from football history for most.

Let us pause to remember another leviathan, Sir Dixie Dean, whose monumental feat of 60 goals in a season has been largely forgotten beyond Goodison Park.

But hey, Mohammed Salah scored 32 a couple of years ago, which is far more noteworthy

Agree with you but was ever thus. When I was younger they used to quote records of the post war era, now it's the PL era. Think you need a sort of modern era but also remember the all time records. Such as Jimmy Greaves 266 Spurs goals.

As I alluded to earlier in the thread, the game changes beyond recognition, probably every decade.
I hate to say it, but even Clive Allens 47 in a season a season can't be compared to modern football.
That isn't to say he wouldn't do that now, or that modern footballers would do it then. IT's just not a fair comparisson.

There are different rules. There are different ideologies (IE, teams defend differently now). There are variables such as pitch condition, ball material, player fitness, training styles etc.

I suspect that's why we had markers such as pre/post war and 20th century
We weren't the first team to win the double for instance. We were the first to do it in the 20th century.

ElMserwWkAIdYFU

It's quite ridiculous that Lewis Hamilton is going to become a Sir.

And this guy isn't.
Isn't he a tax exile?

Like Andy Murray, Kelly Holmes, etc , it's ridiculous that they get the top honour just for doing their job, albeit very well - they already have received the reward and glory for their victories.

As I alluded to earlier in the thread, the game changes beyond recognition, probably every decade.
I hate to say it, but even Clive Allens 47 in a season a season can't be compared to modern football.
That isn't to say he wouldn't do that now, or that modern footballers would do it then. IT's just not a fair comparisson.

There are different rules. There are different ideologies (IE, teams defend differently now). There are variables such as pitch condition, ball material, player fitness, training styles etc.

I suspect that's why we had markers such as pre/post war and 20th century
We weren't the first team to win the double for instance. We were the first to do it in the 20th century.

Clive Allen scored 49 goals in 86/87

Re the MBE he prbly should do a John Lennon and refuse it. 55 years too late and and basically England best goal scorer, part of WC team/squad, top scorer for spurs and probably one of this countries best ever goal scorers is on par with other sports people who also received MBE. They prbly all deserve it for their contributions but would you equate Jimmys football career with a former British no 1 women’s tennis player?

Back
Top Bottom