Jimmy Greaves

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I didn't realise that Greaves hadn't been recognised by the honours system. I just took it for granted that he already had.

It seems an insult to such a great player that he is given the lowest of the honours for services to football when he hasn't played in the top tier for 50 years.

Why award it now? Because he's old and frail and next year might be too late?

I'll say it again. It's an insult.

I don't like the honours system but if there is to be one then there should be some kind of consistency to them.

Chiwetel Ejiofor (a good actor but let's not get carried away here - awarded a CBE when he was 37)

Jimmy Greaves (awarded the MBE when he was 80)

What a joke.

For fuck's sake... Harry Kane!!

A great, great player but he was born FIFTY THREE YEARS AFTER Greaves and he STILL got the MBE before Greaves did!!!

Just ridiculous.

It's quite ridiculous that Lewis Hamilton is going to become a Sir.

And this guy isn't.
Agree personally but alas, I can see why they've giving Hamilton one now.

If only being an irritating cunt (and tax dodger) made him exempt.

Edit: just to comment on Greaves, one assumes this is all a result of him being injured and therefore not going down as part of that 66 World Cup winning side. A damn shame - he's essentially missed out twice.

Jimmy Greaves is a legend in every way imaginable.

The State can think what they want.

I used to watch Saint and Greavsie as a kid and before I really knew anything about Tottenham's history.

I guessed that Ian St John was a former player but I assumed the balding, chubby but lovable guy that worked with him was just a broadcaster with a common touch who was able to connect with the everyday fan.

I didn't realise that the balding, chubby but lovable guy was one the greatest goal scorers of all time.

Without doubt, a genuine legend in every way imaginable.

Interesting that people are aggreived that Hamilton is being acknowledged.
Much like Greaves, he's the most successful English/British person at what his sport.
Neither of them are particularly well known outside of their sport for what they do. Greaves turned to the bottle and did a bit of TV work, but he wasn't exactly an ambassador for the Sport. He played. He scored. He got paid.

I could throw a guess as to why it took so long for the acknowledgement - He did what he was paid to do and, with every passing year, he becomes more legend like as players come and go and fail to score as many goals. Maybe in the 60's and early 70's no one knew how long his records would stand?
He was also probably very unfairly treated because despite getting England to the WC final, he didn't play and Hurst did.

When Tommy Cooper was being presented to The Queen at the Royal Variety Performance he actually asked The Queen if she was interested in football.
She said "Not really" so he said can I have your cup final tickets please Maam?
He always was a tight fucker

Funny as fuck though!

He always was a tight fucker

Funny as fuck though!

Whenever Cooper got out of a taxi, he'd tip the driver.

He'd say 'Have a drink on me' as he slipped the tip into the driver's breast pocket.

When Cooper was gone, the driver would look in his pocket and there'd be a tea bag!

Genius!

Whenever Cooper got out of a taxi, he'd tip the driver.

He'd say 'Have a drink on me' as he slipped the tip into the driver's breast pocket.

When Cooper was gone, the driver would look in his pocket and there'd be a tea bag!

Genius!
Used one I bet!

Back
Top Bottom