Joe Rodon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really enlightening analysis of his play over the last two seasons from The Extra Inch, they just made this one free: https://www.patreon.com/posts/42962525

I love how strong he looks in the air (maybe not surprising because of his height, but he actually gets power on his headers) and how composed he is on and off the ball; he never looks panicked in any situation which is a calmness I'd especially appreciate in our backline right now. The other thing is that he's actually nimble - he's not just pacy in a straight run (which he is, as the earlier The Athletic piece highlighted), he's actually really agile and fleet-footed unlike Dier. Not easy to turn.

The main fear though - and why I think it might've taken us so long to sign him, and at such a reduced price - appears to be how badly his injuries have affected him, because he's definitely looking less nimble in those 1v1 clips after his injury. I'm hoping that that's something physical therapy and our medical staff can help him recover though because we have more resources and better facilities than Swansea. Maybe just have him train 1v1 over and over against Sonny, if he can handle Sonny he's good to go :)

The other thing is that (at least at Swansea) it looks like he's used to pushing up high, and likes to do some pretty risky long passing, some of which don't come off (81% pass completion). So we have to be patient with him because I guarantee we're going to concede to some mistake by him sooner or later. His partner probably has to be the more "conservative" CB (they suggest Dier as the potential best fit), and I think having PEH helps (for some reason it often looked like Swansea's CBs didn't have an outball, which is odd), but I can also see Mourinho encouraging him to keep raking those long passes for Sonny or Bale down the wings as a tactic.

The main fear though - and why I think it might've taken us so long to sign him, and at such a reduced price - appears to be how badly his injuries have affected him, because he's definitely looking less nimble in those 1v1 clips after his injury. I'm hoping that that's something physical therapy and our medical staff can help him recover though because we have more resources and better facilities than Swansea. Maybe just have him train 1v1 over and over against Sonny, if he can handle Sonny he's good to go

Not sure I have huge confidence in our medical team, sorry if it sounds harsh but i'm not convinced. Players seem to be sidelined for ages or have regular setbacks. I know it happens to every club and can be player specific but when it happens time and again you need to start looking at the reasons why.

Really enlightening analysis of his play over the last two seasons from The Extra Inch, they just made this one free: https://www.patreon.com/posts/42962525

I love how strong he looks in the air (maybe not surprising because of his height, but he actually gets power on his headers) and how composed he is on and off the ball; he never looks panicked in any situation which is a calmness I'd especially appreciate in our backline right now. The other thing is that he's actually nimble - he's not just pacy in a straight run (which he is, as the earlier The Athletic piece highlighted), he's actually really agile and fleet-footed unlike Dier. Not easy to turn.

The main fear though - and why I think it might've taken us so long to sign him, and at such a reduced price - appears to be how badly his injuries have affected him, because he's definitely looking less nimble in those 1v1 clips after his injury. I'm hoping that that's something physical therapy and our medical staff can help him recover though because we have more resources and better facilities than Swansea. Maybe just have him train 1v1 over and over against Sonny, if he can handle Sonny he's good to go :)

The other thing is that (at least at Swansea) it looks like he's used to pushing up high, and likes to do some pretty risky long passing, some of which don't come off (81% pass completion). So we have to be patient with him because I guarantee we're going to concede to some mistake by him sooner or later. His partner probably has to be the more "conservative" CB (they suggest Dier as the potential best fit), and I think having PEH helps (for some reason it often looked like Swansea's CBs didn't have an outball, which is odd), but I can also see Mourinho encouraging him to keep raking those long passes for Sonny or Bale down the wings as a tactic.

A few other points come across (but admit I didn't have time to watch all the 50 minute video):

- Rodon can play as both a left sided CB and a right sided CB, although he's naturally right sided. Of the other CB's we have neither Alderweireld nor Sanchez are comfortable on the left, whilst Tanganga played a lot of games in youth as LCB despite being right footed, and Dier can also play as both LCB and RCB. I suspect he would be able to play with all the other CB options which is good (eg IMO Alderweireld and Sanchez do not pair well together as neither play well on the left)

- Decent short and long passing (the long passing isn't quite as Aldereweireld levels but thay can be coached - great to start an attack with as Toby used to do with Dele, but can also be to a fast winger), whilst a decent header.

- Surprisingly less tackles in the video than I might have expected, but ones in the video he was fine on.

- Generally getting into the right position and reading the game all seemed to be good, although PL will be faster than games on this video, so he will have less time to read the game and react. But as he seems pretty mobile/athletic don't think this is a problem, although might take a bit of time to adjust.

Not the finished article, but at age 22 soon to be 23 still time to improve. Hope that Mourhino sees both Rodon and Tanganga as potential starters so both come through into the first team as I think in summer Alderweireld will move on (MLS ?) as he's slowing up and Sanchez has this season to iron out his mistakes.

Hopefully a better debut than Foyth

:mourweird:

Was that Wolves away? I was at that game. Mate of mine's dad is die hard Wolves fan so him and my mate and me all flew over to "Fortress Molineux" from Dublin.

Froze my nuts off, Wolverhampton is a dump but we won so....... :tobyarm:

Did have to put up with my mate's dad banging on about the glory years for Wolves in the 60s/70s all in all - worth it!

Not sure I have huge confidence in our medical team, sorry if it sounds harsh but i'm not convinced. Players seem to be sidelined for ages or have regular setbacks. I know it happens to every club and can be player specific but when it happens time and again you need to start looking at the reasons why.
I agree ours doesn't really give you confidence :/ But we should still have more resources than a Championship club like Swansea. Plus he should (hopefully) be under less pressure to rush back - in the Athletic piece one of the reasons he picked up his second injury was because he rushed himself back before he'd fully recovered from his first injury. He's not a starter here so we can wait until he's fully fit.

A few other points come across (but admit I didn't have time to watch all the 50 minute video):

- Rodon can play as both a left sided CB and a right sided CB, although he's naturally right sided. Of the other CB's we have neither Alderweireld nor Sanchez are comfortable on the left, whilst Tanganga played a lot of games in youth as LCB despite being right footed, and Dier can also play as both LCB and RCB. I suspect he would be able to play with all the other CB options which is good (eg IMO Alderweireld and Sanchez do not pair well together as neither play well on the left)

- Decent short and long passing (the long passing isn't quite as Aldereweireld levels but thay can be coached - great to start an attack with as Toby used to do with Dele, but can also be to a fast winger), whilst a decent header.

- Surprisingly less tackles in the video than I might have expected, but ones in the video he was fine on.

- Generally getting into the right position and reading the game all seemed to be good, although PL will be faster than games on this video, so he will have less time to read the game and react. But as he seems pretty mobile/athletic don't think this is a problem, although might take a bit of time to adjust.

Not the finished article, but at age 22 soon to be 23 still time to improve. Hope that Mourhino sees both Rodon and Tanganga as potential starters so both come through into the first team as I think in summer Alderweireld will move on (MLS ?) as he's slowing up and Sanchez has this season to iron out his mistakes.

Yeah, I liked their explanation of why he's rightfooted but can play on the left. We have plenty of RCBs but still no natural LCB so I suspect we'll be mainly seeing him on the left, he looks a bit more natural there than our only other option there in Dier.

Their conclusion (which I agree with) is that our CBs as individual defenders aren't *that* bad, they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, the problem is that we don't have a natural CB partnership that balances out those strengths and weaknesses. Rodon if he makes the step up might be a gamechanger in that regard not just as an LCB but because of his pace, agility, composure on the ball etc. Harry Brooks thinks that Dier is the potential best fit for him as partner, which works out pretty well for us since Mourinho loves having Dier out there in any case 😅I'd love to see Tanganga too but it's probably better to have a more experienced partner for now and sadly Tanganga seems to be dealing with his own injury problems atm.

Yeah, I liked their explanation of why he's rightfooted but can play on the left. We have plenty of RCBs but still no natural LCB so I suspect we'll be mainly seeing him on the left, he looks a bit more natural there than our only other option there in Dier.

Their conclusion (which I agree with) is that our CBs as individual defenders aren't *that* bad, they all have their own strengths and weaknesses, the problem is that we don't have a natural CB partnership that balances out those strengths and weaknesses. Rodon if he makes the step up might be a gamechanger in that regard not just as an LCB but because of his pace, agility, composure on the ball etc. Harry Brooks thinks that Dier is the potential best fit for him as partner, which works out pretty well for us since Mourinho loves having Dier out there in any case 😅I'd love to see Tanganga too but it's probably better to have a more experienced partner for now and sadly Tanganga seems to be dealing with his own injury problems atm.

Rodon/Dier might well be our best partnership by the 2nd half of the season.

However the frequency of games throughout this season (assuming we go deep in all competitions), and not forgetting the odd unavoidable injury, means we need to be able to use all 4 if not 5 CB's and in turn that means putting together CB pairings who work well together.

And as you say each of the CB's will have their own strengths and weaknesses - so for example speed can be important, and I'd guess that Rondon, Tanganga and Sanchez are fast whereas Dier is more medium paced, so in some games against a very fast attacking side Dier might not be our best choice. So I think its going to be better for Mourhino to evaluate ( probably both in training and in matches) the strengths of the various pairings of CB's (and even 3 CB's if he plans on playing formations like that in some matches).

Back
Top Bottom