Johan Lange - Technical Director

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Best interview from Technical Football staff to date I think.

Always hard to assess an internal interview as the questions are carefully orchestrated and delivered to be "on message" but I like the message. All the protagonists are aligned and agree with the style of football to be played, so from the academy to the first team they recruit, train and play this way.

It's going to take many years to get this properly embedded across the club but we've not seen/felt this since Poch and McDermott and many from his team left (I also can't state enough the importance of having Mason still here and now the rehiring of Matt Wells who were part of that previous structure - not that their presence has anything significant from the past to bring in how we play today, just that they have been products under what was a coherent development structure).

Two interesting points: there's an effort made to make us an attractive destination for young players, and he describes Bergvall as box-to-box, so I presume he's meant to play in the right sided CM role (Sarr / Bentancur backup I guess). He also confirmed that Bergvall will be in the first team squad next season.
Side note, I miss Ben Haines in 90min Football's podcasts. I have listened to them far less often since he left.

Yep, just keep phoning Paratici at home, he’ll sort out our transfers. Flange can get the contracts ready.
Dunno why you're dismissing Lange, he's done the lion share of the work in building this Aston Villa side that's currently ahead of us in the table.

Let’s hope this isn’t all fart and no poo and we follow through on it……so to speak

Johan Lange on the process of identifying targets:

“It's very important when we are out there watching potential new players that they fit with the style of play, but also with the personality of the group that we want to build here. We are very fortunate to have a head coach in Ange who is crystal clear in how he wants to play and wants to train, which kind of personalities he's looking for to build a squad here as well.
So when the scouting team and myself are out watching players we know exactly what we're looking for, we are completely aligned as a club and how we want to build the squad over the coming years, which is hugely important, but this is not just Ange and myself, this is a club strategy, this is a club alignment, and Ange and I have been brought to the club in different roles to execute this.”

Talks good. Finally feels like we have some kind of cohesive top down strategy.

Head coach with clear ethos we can buy into.

Academy coached to fit that ethos so it better feeds into first team.

A much better recruitment set up. The recruitment geared to fit that ethos (although some misses as well as hits so far IMO) and looking to bring in really good young players as well.

Back
Top Bottom