John Motson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

John Motson, Barry Davies, Brian Moore… utter class and their voices were the soundtrack to the game I fell in love with in the 80s and 90s.

RIP Motty

Loved Motty. Sure his jokes got worse with time but you could tell he really loved the game and worked for so many years because of that love. He had top notch football knowledge, unlike so many of the twats these days that just want the pay cheque.
RIP Motty, special thanks for the "look at these scenes, just look at these scenes" commentary after Robbie Keane's equaliser Vs Germany in 2002, my favourite football moment
Actually bumped into him a couple of years ago at the stadium , exchanged hellos , nothing more than that though. I kind of wish he had the sheepskin coat on , but it was a warm day

Last edited:
John Motson, Barry Davies, Brian Moore… utter class and their voices were the soundtrack to the game I fell in love with in the 80s and 90s.

RIP Motty
Not so sure about Barry - I always thought Ice Dancing was more up his boulevard.

Kenneth Wolstenhome, however...

Just seen this and felt a shiver up my spine. Virtually my entire life, Motty was the voice of Football.

Gutted.

The Heaven 11 just got their commentator.

Rest in Peace Legend.

RIP Motty. Had the pleasure of meeting him at one of the Player of the Year dinners we used to hold. He was at our table alongside Ray Clemence and John Moncur Jnr. He was really good company and obviously knew his stuff. As already mentioned, his commentary of Ricky's goal in the Final is legendary, in fact that's the title of Ricky's autobiography.

Loved his commentary at Portsmouth A and Notts County H in the 1991 Cup run. Something about how he emphasised the excitement of Gazza was quality.

Back
Top Bottom