Joint UK & Ireland bid for 2030 World Cup

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, 2026 is using 16 stadiums across North America with a minimum capacity of 40k. If we stuck with 16 you could have something like this:

SCOTLAND:

(Possibly redeveloped) Hampden Park, Glasgow
Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh

WALES:

Millenium Stadium, Cardiff

IRELAND:

Lansdowne Road, Dublin
Redeveloped Windsor Park, Belfast

ENGLAND:

Wembley Stadium, London
Old Trafford, Manchester
Anfield, Liverpool (or New Everton Stadium)
St James' Park, Newcastle
Villa Park, Birmingham
Hillsbrough, Sheffield (very minor expansion/reconfiguration needed)
Elland Road, Leeds (very minor expansion/reconfiguration needed)
Expanded King Power Stadium, Leicester
New Bristol City Stadium, Bristol
Expanded Stadium:MK, Milton Keynes
Expanded Home Park, Plymouth

All of those English venues were part of the England 2018 bid except Leicester - they had a new ground in Nottingham instead, but Forest redeveloped the City Ground while Leicester have obviously come to prominence in the same region and are already seeking planning permission to expand their ground. It gives a good geographical spread and they're still all very good venues. It also means you have big grounds elsewhere from Manchester to Sunderland to London as very capable backup venues if any of the construction projects go wrong.
Ohhhh and apart from fuck Milton Keynes, I don't think they will go for the old styleb 4 sided box stadium if they can help it, apart from the dippers, cos it's not worth the whining, and Newcastle cos they would have to keep the Geordies there somehow

Fuck Milton Keynes.
They included it in the 2018 bid and it makes a fair amount of sense. Very very easy to expand because of the location, good accomodation options, easy one for security and police, and an area with no other appropriate venues. The only downside is transport but in terms of the organisational problems in hosting a World Cup that's nothing major.

They included it in the 2018 bid and it makes a fair amount of sense. Very very easy to expand because of the location, good accomodation options, easy one for security and police, and an area with no other appropriate venues. The only downside is transport but in terms of the organisational problems in hosting a World Cup that's nothing major.

I was at a Rugby World Cup game at Milton Keynes and they had buses (lots of buses) especially laid on for getting to and from MK Station to MK Stadium. Was organised really well. Got there really easily, on the way back from the stadium had to queue for about 10mins.

I was at a Rugby World Cup game at Milton Keynes and they had buses (lots of buses) especially laid on for getting to and from MK Station to MK Stadium. Was organised really well. Got there really easily, on the way back from the stadium had to queue for about 10mins.
Good to hear that, the transport certainly isn't a deal-breaker.

Fuck Milton Keynes. Franchise FC. Fuck them. Their existence is a stain st English football

Fuck Milton Keynes dongs

Oh. I thought that would be the answer, had to check though.
I used to play for team whose home ground was Haydon's road. I was the only non Wimbledon supporter. The greatest irony is, it was all a lie. They still don't own a ground, winkleman does. They went against every recommendation of the fa report,and broke every promise they made.

Honestly, suggesting places like MK would probably sink the bid. Who the hell would want to go there whilst one of (if not the) newest and nicest facility in the country sits unused.

FIFA cares about one thing - money. If the British isles want the tournament they'll select the 16 biggest stadiums in the largest (and therefore lucrative for add on sponsorships) metro areas, period. The FA(s) and residents might care about spreading things around for everyone and ticking historical boxes...but that's why the FA hasn't been able to get anywhere in decades with FIFA. Especially after all the tickets and money spun up in 2026, if you think FIFA is playing a WC match in MK you're having a laugh.

Back
Top Bottom