Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The difference that I have observed between their fans and our fans is that the majority of us don’t take anything for granted. The sense of entitlement of the United fanbase is what drove them to view Jose that way. No one team is entitled to win the premier league or challenge the premier league whilst playing beautiful football! This is the toughest league in the world! Building a team is the toughest thing and Jose has shown it over and over again that if given the support and trust, he will build a competitive team. He was basically allowed to do his job with one arm tied round his back and when it got towards the end of his tenure there, he pretty much had two arms tied behind his back. So, he fought the problems openly!

What’s worse, they wanted Jose to challenge and compete for the league whilst playing the “United Way” which many of them define as fast, attacking, beautiful flowing football, while bringing through their academy players! Like some for the pundits such as Gary Neville have said, before they know it, it’ll be 20 years before they challenge for the title again.

When Jose was battling player power and the lack of support from his bosses, the fanbase sided with their shiny social media elite players and their most hated Ed Woodward!

I hope I’m right about our fanbase here:)
Agree they have a sense of entitlement we don't have. But i hope when we lose games playing the 'Jose' way there isn't a total meltdown over his tactics.

If we get behind him now, i don't think there is any manager out there that is more likely to win something for us. And we need to become a trophy winning club.

There’s a massive difference between the 2-0 last season and The 2-0 this season though.

I have no problem being reactive but when you are, you’ve gotta carry a massive threat when it’s your time to strike.

Today we did that and largely dictated what areas we wanted them to have the ball - a massive difference between that and hanging on for dear life and only doing something once they went down to 10 men
Only 5 players started yesterday who started in the reverse Fixture last season and we was without Kane ,
But yeah last season I think we got lucky and the sending off helped massively , yesterday after watching it back without the stress knowing we had won it looked like the team executed Jose’s plan to perfection

New here. Following Jose since his Porto days. Well not really, my wife does. Super intelligent, best tactician in football today. Love his character, his work ethic and his brutal honesty. I hope he will deliver for us. He needs this, we need this.

It's okay to hate opposition managers and perfectly natural. It's even okay to not like Jose as our manager, but you have to respect him and his record- the guy has won more trophies in his career than we have as a Club. Let's hope we're not the one he doesn't win something with!
Quietly confident

Rival fans are saying "wait till Harry Kane or Son get down injured" yet ignoring what makes them injured in first place. back then it was because Poch told them to harrass and press as much as they can till they are all knackered , Mourinho play with a style that have the least chances of getting players injured. And now we have Vinicius so Kane doesn't have to play all games.

The difference that I have observed between their fans and our fans is that the majority of us don’t take anything for granted. The sense of entitlement of the United fanbase is what drove them to view Jose that way. No one team is entitled to win the premier league or challenge the premier league whilst playing beautiful football! This is the toughest league in the world! Building a team is the toughest thing and Jose has shown it over and over again that if given the support and trust, he will build a competitive team. He was basically allowed to do his job with one arm tied round his back and when it got towards the end of his tenure there, he pretty much had two arms tied behind his back. So, he fought the problems openly!

What’s worse, they wanted Jose to challenge and compete for the league whilst playing the “United Way” which many of them define as fast, attacking, beautiful flowing football, while bringing through their academy players! Like some for the pundits such as Gary Neville have said, before they know it, it’ll be 20 years before they challenge for the title again.

When Jose was battling player power and the lack of support from his bosses, the fanbase sided with their shiny social media elite players and their most hated Ed Woodward!

I hope I’m right about our fanbase here:)
You are absolutely right about their annoying fanbase. Did they ever watch how Sir Alex set his team ?
he was as pragmatic as Jose, that's why most of his iconic goals were counter attack , he let the likes of arsene wenger have all the possession while he himself tell his team to camp on their area to pounce on counter attack, He had the likes of Giggs and Beckham , Irwin and Neville on the wings so when things get tough he told those players to spam crosses as much as they can while putting all the players in opposition box . He told Jones , to specifically man mark Fellaini when he realize how annoying fellaini was in their previus match against everton, told park ji sung to hunt down Pirlo. This is the man who adapt his tactic according to his opposition which is the same as Mourinho , not the man who play tiki-taka beautiful football ala Pep. When he was up against Mourinho's real madrid, if you look at the stats only , you would have swore he managed real madrid while mourinho was the one managing United.

there is no such thing about "united way" = playing beautiful , flowing football

At United, Mourinho has to deal with the board who prefer economic over football, pull a player power over manager, he asked for new CB in his 3rd season there because he only got 2 fit CBs and the rest were a sicknote, wanted to get rid of lazy player such as Pogba and Martial but were refused by their board because those players are popular within the fanbase.

he has players who undermine his authority by saying "we are united, we have to attack attack attack" because the fckin guy are just too lazy to defend, had all the pundits criticize him no matter what the result. and finally , have stupid brainwashed fanbase who back all those against him.
any manager would turn toxic in such environment, except you are just a manager who are happy to be there, not challenging for anything and know that this is his last chance to manage a top football club with huge salary ala Ole.

Last edited:
MY WIFE IS PREGNANT... MY SON WILL BE CALLED JOSÉ FUCKING HARRY SON MOURINHO
🤩

Jose fucking Harry.
Come on, that's too much for me, reading this while drinking my coffee Monday morning.

Oh, congrats on little Jose Fucking, I think he will be a Höjbjerg kind of player.

Last edited:
Mourinho is a big match manager and knows how to prepare his team tactically for these situations. This was probably his best "Mourinho" performance since he arrived and getting a goal less than 5 minutes in was golden.

I think the reasons for the recent resurgence are quite straightforward:

1) Harry Kane is fit and healthy for the first time since he got injured in the 6th round of the FA Cup against Millwall in March 2018.

2) Mourinho done an excellent job of not only identifying squad needs but being flexible in the market to meet those needs.

3) His defensive tactics are becoming second nature to the entire squad and the team is getting better at counter-attacking.

If he can overcome his conservative nature and trust his system with more well-rounded personnel against some of the less talented squads, then we'll be cooking with gas.

Agree with everything what you said...
But would add on to Kane point that Mou has substantially changed his role in the team.

It even surprises me to some extent, that Poch never thought of it. Kane intelligence and brilliant game reading abilities paired with his wonderful ability to execute very good passes were all so obvious. As was the fact that Son is more explosive and quick from the two. So to push Son constantly higher and to have Kane pulling the strings at times and then again popping up in dangerous areas while defenders have forgot him for split second - this is just brilliant move.

And fact that he has gathered 7 goals and 9 assist (16 goal involvements!!!) in 9 games (!!!) is testament to that change. Between 1st game of the season and now, I'd say that there is no other striker in Europe who would have better return than him. Not even Lewa, not even Haaland, not even Ronnie, not even Messi, not even Neymar nor Mbappe.

I don't mind holding up my hand and saying that I wasn't a fan of his appointment and I also don't mind telling you why. Hopefully sammyspurs won't try to murder me.

It wasn't because I don't like him personally. In fact, I pretty much always did like Mou as a person, even from his first stint at Chelsea, and one example of this I can still remember is when he played Scunthorpe in the FA Cup. I don't know where they are now, but at the time he was reigning Premier League champion, and they were League Two, and after he beat them he gave his full scouting report on them to their coach and went into their dressing room to praise them on their football. Stuff like that made me think that while he might be this brash, arrogant arse to the media, he's actually a solid bloke underneath it all. The only time I've personally wanted to punch him was when he giggled about poaching Willian from under our noses, but apart from that I've never been set against him just because he was a huge part of Chelsea's success.

It wasn't his track record, either. In fact, while half the footballing world was laughing at him after the mess at United, I often chirped up to point out that he has been successful everywhere he has gone, and that the whole 'he leaves clubs in tatters' narrative is simply not true. His man management is legendary. So that wasn't it either.

That said, I did buy into the narrative that, well, maybe his tactics really were a bit yesteryear, and that maybe he had become a bit obsolete in the face of young, progressive coaches like Poch and Klopp, who seemed to be the future. Our whole team philosophy, even going back to AVB, was to try to become a sophisticated, elite club with attractive, progressive football the likes of which was all the rage on the continent among clubs like Dortmund etc. In that regard, I did consider Mourinho to be the least appropriate replacement for Poch outside of Tony Pulis. I didn't think it would work, I thought Levy would be too conservative in the transfer market for his liking, and I predicted another sad breakdown between coach and squad.

I don't mind saying I was wrong. I don't mind saying that I should have paid more attention to his track record than the media narratives about him. I don't mind admitting that losing Poch still left a bitter taste in my mouth, and that likely colored my opinion that I thought the club had made a bad decision.

If I've changed my mind, and now I'm a believer, am I now officially Wrong for the rest of time? Should I hang my head my head in shame, until sammy decides that I've paid a suitable penance for my disloyalty?

I don't think so. I'm good with it. And, at the end of the day, I'm just happy that we seem to truly be on the right track to chase our ambitions. Having not been part of whatever fireworks this forum has seen over the matter, but still being someone who fits the description you gave, can't we just march on together, and all say COYS?

Just asking, because frankly I'm still on a high from yesterday and I don't think it's going to come down just because once upon a time I had doubts about Jose. This isn't a row which needs to happen, right now, imo.

:mourthumb:
Perfectly summarises my thoughts on the matter.

When he was appointed, I was lamenting the prospect of watching us play football under Jose, if I’m honest.

Very happy to be proven wrong.

Some of the “I know better” chat around here is fucking laughable tbh.

I don’t care if you still hate Mourinho, I’ll celebrate with any cunt cheering for spurs - I’ll just think you’re wrong about him. I was.

Perfectly summarises my thoughts on the matter.

When he was appointed, I was lamenting the prospect of watching us play football under Jose, if I’m honest.

Very happy to be proven wrong.

Some of the “I know better” chat around here is fucking laughable tbh.

I don’t care if you still hate Mourinho, I’ll celebrate with any cunt cheering for spurs - I’ll just think you’re wrong about him. I was.

I suspect a lot of the fans that think Mourinho plays boring football, get that opinion from watching their team get beat by Mourinho. They're ignoring just how good his Chelsea, RM and Inter teams actually were. How many goals they scored, how many games they won, how many points they got, how many trophies they won.

I'm actually looking forward to the game against Liverpool as I think Klopp and Pep are both far more 1 dimensional than Mourinho when all squads are their own.
Mourino will adapt to the opposition and set up differently to get the result. He'll also make early changes if it's not working and learn from those mistakes for the next game.
Klopp and Pep are bullishly "this is how we play" and City are starting to see the negative side to that.
Liverpool have already had a twatting this season by a team that sussed them out and adapted to their formation.

I don't mind holding up my hand and saying that I wasn't a fan of his appointment and I also don't mind telling you why. Hopefully sammyspurs won't try to murder m
Nothing wrong with having doubts and my venom isn’t at people who simply didn’t want him.
It’s against the hypocrites who cried their eyes out and slated anyone who felt Poch had lost his mojo, defended an 11 month away winless run. ELEVEN MONTHS.
Defended shit football, shit tactics, shit man management, shit team selections and blamed everything poor on the chairman and squad and called everything good a miracle.

Then, while claiming 5.5 years isn’t enough time, turned on Jose after three months despite us climbing the table.

Nothing wrong with having doubts and my venom isn’t at people who simply didn’t want him.
It’s against the hypocrites who cried their eyes out and slated anyone who felt Poch had lost his mojo, defended an 11 month away winless run. ELEVEN MONTHS.
Defended shit football, shit tactics, shit man management, shit team selections and blamed everything poor on the chairman and squad and called everything good a miracle.

Then, while claiming 5.5 years isn’t enough time, turned on Jose after three months despite us climbing the table.

My relationship with Poch went like this

1) Spurs linked with Poch as coach. NO WAY. He's AVB Mk2. 4231 obsessed with posession and high lines, will get found out.
2) Initial 6 months - See above.
3) Finished 5th, unspectacular. Usual mullerings by City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, and even Stoke.
4) 15/16 start slow, loss, 3 draws, looking pretty poor tbh. We then pick up and work up to 2nd and start looking like we're a force. Do the double over City included a 4-1 home win. Stuff Untited and get revenge on Stoke.
5) Wobble at the end of the season, in line woth Poch historically. No wins in the last 4 and a truly scary 5-1 thrashing by 10 man relegated Newcastle.
6) 16/17 season - unbeaten at home, blew away almost all that came in front of us but just finished behind a freakishly good Chelsea team. We're going places, Poch is the love of my life, I was wrong
7) 17/18 Moved to Wembley with high expectations.
8) Had a fairly solid season despite moving to Wembley. Finished 3rd and looking foward to 18/19
9)18/19 No signings, no one. Rumours that Poch couldn't find players better than what he had. Didn't like that at all. That's not how squads work. Lost 20 games in all competitions, had a disastrous start to the champions league group stage and had to pull a miracle out of the hat.
10) Despite not knowing where our next home game would be most weeks, we worked up to 2nd and like a possible title challenge was on the cards and then by January we come down with the decorations. Finish with 7 losses out of 12 and some horrible, turgid football.
11) Champions league final!!!!! How did THAT happen!
12) 19/20 - 0-1 at home to Newcastle is one of the worst football matches I have ever seen. We can't play against teams who defend. We have no answer, no plan. Eriksen is playing despite saying he wanted to leave and being truly woeful. His time looks up to me. Performances are unwatchable often even when we win. Battered to death by Bayern, should go, doesn't, battered a few days later, needs to go, doesn't. Just leave, go, resign. You don't want to be here, You've lost the squad. This goes back further than this season. By the time he's sacked, we haven't won away since the wheel was invented and the PPG was relegation form.

But the worst thing was the cult fans who absolutely couldn't see 10 and 12 were really, really poor and the club was on a downward cure at an alarming rate. They were furious he was sacked and now they're all hiding under a rock waiting for a reason to come out. They may have a long wait, as despite all the tools and weapons Poch had, despite the high tempo football and the media love in, he wasn't top for more than a week and didn't win a game for 4 subsequent matches, Every chance we had at winning something we bottled. 2 or 3 chances to go top during our 2 best seasons, bottled.

We are better now and they (cult fans) know it.

My relationship with Poch went like this

1) Spurs linked with Poch as coach. NO WAY. He's AVB Mk2. 4231 obsessed with posession and high lines, will get found out.
2) Initial 6 months - See above.
3) Finished 5th, unspectacular. Usual mullerings by City, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, and even Stoke.
4) 15/16 start slow, loss, 3 draws, looking pretty poor tbh. We then pick up and work up to 2nd and start looking like we're a force. Do the double over City included a 4-1 home win. Stuff Untited and get revenge on Stoke.
5) Wobble at the end of the season, in line woth Poch historically. No wins in the last 4 and a truly scary 5-1 thrashing by 10 man relegated Newcastle.
6) 16/17 season - unbeaten at home, blew away almost all that came in front of us but just finished behind a freakishly good Chelsea team. We're going places, Poch is the love of my life, I was wrong
7) 17/18 Moved to Wembley with high expectations.
8) Had a fairly solid season despite moving to Wembley. Finished 3rd and looking foward to 18/19
9)18/19 No signings, no one. Rumours that Poch couldn't find players better than what he had. Didn't like that at all. That's not how squads work. Lost 20 games in all competitions, had a disastrous start to the champions league group stage and had to pull a miracle out of the hat.
10) Despite not knowing where our next home game would be most weeks, we worked up to 2nd and like a possible title challenge was on the cards and then by January we come down with the decorations. Finish with 7 losses out of 12 and some horrible, turgid football.
11) Champions league final!!!!! How did THAT happen!
12) 19/20 - 0-1 at home to Newcastle is one of the worst football matches I have ever seen. We can't play against teams who defend. We have no answer, no plan. Eriksen is playing despite saying he wanted to leave and being truly woeful. His time looks up to me. Performances are unwatchable often even when we win. Battered to death by Bayern, should go, doesn't, battered a few days later, needs to go, doesn't. Just leave, go, resign. You don't want to be here, You've lost the squad. This goes back further than this season. By the time he's sacked, we haven't won away since the wheel was invented and the PPG was relegation form.

But the worst thing was the cult fans who absolutely couldn't see 10 and 12 were really, really poor and the club was on a downward cure at an alarming rate. They were furious he was sacked and now they're all hiding under a rock waiting for a reason to come out. They may have a long wait, as despite all the tools and weapons Poch had, despite the high tempo football and the media love in, he wasn't top for more than a week and didn't win a game for 4 subsequent matches, Every chance we had at winning something we bottled. 2 or 3 chances to go top during our 2 best seasons, bottled.

We are better now and they (cult fans) know it.
Pretty much nailed every single point......As you say they’re under a rock or trying to wriggle out of their disastrous narrative that winning two trophies in 2017 means Jose was from a bygone era.

While they fawned over lost finals, some of us started dreaming of winning something under Jose.
Now they have the audacity to want to all “celebrate together” if we do win.

But fail, and guess who’ll be there, slagging off the club and the people who backed Jose....worms

Back
Top Bottom