Jozy's June: 4 goals, American Hero, Mexican Refs, and Handballs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its about promoting the game to the bigger population base and that's not insulting New Zealand because we know they box above their weight. Australia is seen as the next frontier to conquer I guess, bit like USA>
There's money playing in Asia that there isn't playing in the OFC, and it's not as though FIFA "promoted" Australia (as Arcspace suggests). Rather, the Australians had been lobbying for an invitation. New Zealand can surely follow in their footsteps… or, rather, they can try. But I'll let The Age explain it:
The Age said:
After more than three decades of failed attempts to leave the Oceania region and move north to Asia, anxious Football Federation Australia officials yesterday received the news they believe will transform the game in this country.…

The AFC is fast becoming world football's biggest economy, representing 3.7 billion people in countries stretching from Syria to Guam.…

Crucially, the AFC has been convinced that adding Australia to the mix will substantially increase the value of future sponsorship and television rights.

Meanwhile the Oceania executive will meet in New Caledonia early next month to sanction Australia's departure, despite some lingering misgivings from New Zealand.…

Australia will officially become an Asian member from 2006, and will then be able to compete in regional competitions at all levels from the World Cup qualifiers down to youth, women's, futsal (indoor) and club competitions.

It is a new World Cup qualifying path that arguably holds the greatest appeal, not least for Socceroo coach Frank Farina, who said yesterday: "This is fantastic news for the national team. Under the present system we can't afford one bad day at the office. The whole four years comes down to two matches in seven days. This way we can have a few bad days at the office and still qualify. It's a much fairer system."

Even more pathetic of an excuse - expanding the 'market'. Do me a favour

Idiotic logic and double standards - but this is now going in circles so be it

I understand the 'facts' - simply suggested the logic is flawed - else countries can begin 'applying' to compete in whatever zones suit them best financially and competitively

Don't take this personal on a patriotic level - simply using an example, that is all

I understand the 'facts' - simply suggested the logic is flawed - else countries can begin 'applying' to compete in whatever zones suit them best financially and competitively

Don't take this personal on a patriotic level - simply using an example, that is all
I agree. It's illogical.

But it's not my doing.

And I'm British, living in England (although I was living in Oz at the time they played off against Uruguay in 2001 and lost). For what it's worth, I thought they were playing the spoilt brat, to be honest.

I don't know why "logical" is an assumption to make in the first place. This is football politics. Why should logic play a role? All that did until the Havelange took over was money and racism, and now at least racism no longer plays an official role.

I don't know why "logical" is an assumption to make in the first place. This is football politics. Why should logic play a role?

Because last time I checked this was a football discussion board offering the platform to share, discuss, and debate different topics and opinions. If you find the subject matter trivial - remember that 'ignore' function you mentioned earlier?

If you think 'applying' to join a federation irrespective of context is acceptable - that is your prerogative.

If you think 'applying' to join a federation irrespective of context is acceptable - that is your prerogative.
But there is context, namely the consent of the parties involved.

I mean, other than "Well, they already participate in Eurovision", there's nothing "logical" about Israel's being in UEFA, but there is a very good contextual reason for why they are. Geographically, they belong in the AFC. They're closer to a CAF nation (Egypt) than to any UEFA nation, as well. But there was a political situation, and it resolved itself politically.

If San Marino wants to petition to play in OFC, then more power to them. Their FA willingly joined UEFA (they weren't forced into it by logic), and if UEFA lets them leave and OFC accepts them, well, big deal?

So you believe countries should compete is whatever federation 'suits' them irrespective of geographical location?

So you believe countries should compete is whatever federation 'suits' them irrespective of geographical location?
That's not at all what I said.

I think that if both confederations and the FA in question agree for the FA to move, then I don't consider that some kind of terrible thing, but, rather, typical football politics.

Good Evening,

Jozy Altidore is the first American to score in four consecutive matches. Today's match against honduras was your typical Concacaf affair, ugly and blatantly biased against the US. No matter how hard or flagrant the call against the US....it was never called, and apparently using your hands in the box isn't a penalty. All 11 honduran "players" decided to sit behind the ball. The only thing separating honduras from Stoke was height.

Regardless, all that matters is that Jozy scores the winning goal and the US basically just have to exist through September in order to qualify for Brazil. The following is presented for your entertainment:

iznpLAbmrl2lC.gif

jozy-2.gif

USAgoal_medium.gif

USMNTgoal_medium.gif

WE BRING THE NOISE WE BRING THE RUCKUS USA AINT NOTHING TO FUCK WITH

PS. Zusi and Bradley have looked incredible. Zusi's crossing in particular is top notch, utter class.

Terrible marking in three of those.

Back
Top Bottom