Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we treated all our CBs equally and froze them out like we froze out Foyth after his mistakes then we would have no playing CBs left as they've all fucked up pretty badly at a number of times this season and last.

The lad is very young and has basically been given games in batches of 1s and 2s to try and break in, which for 90% of the time he has looked very promising. It's just the errors that people remember mind you, so obviously he is good for nothing.

Whatever happens with this player will happen, but I can't help but think he has been misused by the club and if we sell him it would be a mistake.

If we treated all our CBs equally and froze them out like we froze out Foyth after his mistakes then we would have no playing CBs left as they've all fucked up pretty badly at a number of times this season and last.

The lad is very young and has basically been given games in batches of 1s and 2s to try and break in, which for 90% of the time he has looked very promising. It's just the errors that people remember mind you, so obviously he is good for nothing.

Whatever happens with this player will happen, but I can't help but think he has been misused by the club and if we sell him it would be a mistake.

He trains every day with all the others and hasn’t convinced the coach that he is better than any of the alternatives.

It’s best for his career to take a step down and get regular football somewhere. There’s no shame in that. Lo Celso was deemed not good enough for PSG, loaned out to Betis, now he’s at Tottenham and is now seen as the future of our midfield. Having to leave a big club to play regularly does not make someone a bad player, the right circumstances (and performance level from him) just never came together at the right moment.

All the CB'S this season have been pretty poor
Foyth made 1 big error
But Toby , Sanchez and Jan have made a dozen of errors each.
No one has impressed me at CB.
We clearly need a CB in the summer otherwise are defensive will never be solid.

Foyth made 1 big error
He came on against Bournemouth in a game where we really needed points and were down to 10 men ... and got himself sent off after 2 minutes for making a ridiculous challenge. I doubt if that has helped.

I still think there's a player in there somewhere. Not so sure that he has the build for a centre back, but he maybe deserves a crack at DM or FB, as these are such problem areas for us. All I know he hasn't had that much playing time to build up confidence and experience, so he needs that before we can really judge him. Whether that is with us or out on loan, is up to the coaching staff.

Foyth made 1 big error
To be honest Jan and Toby have been so poor they drag Dav down and will do the same to Tanganga.

Imagine having to do your own job while trying to figure out what your experienced partner will do or can do, what you'll have to do to cover them and yourself etc.

Toby and Jan have been so shocking this year, i honestly don't know what happened, and don't know what we do going forward

To be honest Jan and Toby have been so poor they drag Dav down and will do the same to Tanganga.

Imagine having to do your own job while trying to figure out what your experienced partner will do or can do, what you'll have to do to cover them and yourself etc.

Toby and Jan have been so shocking this year, i honestly don't know what happened, and don't know what we do going forward
Exactly , people don't call Toby out enough
He's been average at best

From what I've seen of him, his ability on the ball is not quite good enough to tip the balance in his favour with his awareness and decision making going against him, especially for a defender.

He looks silky at times on the ball, but I personally always get the impression that he is on the ragged edge of his skill level and so is only one poor touch away from disaster. When and where he decides to carry the ball is an issue, he makes poor decisions...he's just not switched on enough IMO.

Far too many times I've seen him either ball watching, getting zoned out on one opponent/situation in front of him or choosing the wrong option to close or mark. I really don't see it at defensive midfield for him as he has a real problem with people running behind him. Although quick, I don't think he's agile enough for midfield.

I can see why they've tried to turn him into a full back, not quite tall enough, not quite strong enough, not quite switched on enough...I don't even think he looks a good player at right back really. I'd prefer Serge there and I honestly fucking can't stand him.

I doubt whether a) the Premier League is the right competition for him and b) whether he will become good enough for the highest level or at least the Champions League. Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up at a midtable side in La Liga.
He's already first choice for his country, picked ahead of Tagliafico of Ajax (who I know is primarily an LB but has also played RB too). I'm certain that he will be playing at CB when Otomendi will lose his spot to him.

HE'S just turned 22!!! He's already made more league apps and played more league mins than Kane had at the same age (who didn't make his international debut until he was 22yrs old).

He's already first choice for his country, picked ahead of Tagliafico of Ajax (who I know is primarily an LB but has also played RB too).
Ajax' Tagliafico has never played at right-back, at least not for Ajax or Argentina, always on the left. Still a regular starter for Argentina and even their vice-captain behind Messi if I'm not mistaken.

Paulinho has played 60 times for Brazil, but would be a disaster at any team in the Premier League.

Last edited:
I don’t understand your question
He did not have the full backing of Poch and Jose, yet he has been the Argentine managers first pick of late and been in their best just about every game, yet you say he is a calamity. Back the guy in, what are you rubbishing him for?

Ajax' Tagliafico has never played at right-back, at least not for Ajax or Argentina, always on the left. Still a regular starter for Argentina and even their vice-captain behind Messi if I'm not mistaken.

Paulinho has played 60 times for Brazil, but would be a disaster at any team in the Premier League.
Has played on the right according to a couple of stats sites, maybe he's switched mid-game to cover an injury?? I don't know.

Nothing on Kane's comparative mins at the same age?

Last edited:
In my opinion he epitomises the club in the last 18 months. Inconsistent, unconvincing, lacking confidence and average.

Take Son, Kane and a couple others out of that, and they have not been brilliant and we have been pretty dire.

Not sure how Foyth can be expected to have risen above mediocrity.

Let's be honest he hasn't impressed too much at CB , hasn't impressed too much at RB .
Still young so will have some value .
In the premier league not physical enough and makes too many errors whether it be his ball playing or ball watching.

I guess he'll be leaving then..

In my opinion he epitomises the club in the last 18 months. Inconsistent, unconvincing, lacking confidence and average.

Take Son, Kane and a couple others out of that, and they have not been brilliant and we have been pretty dire.

Not sure how Foyth can be expected to have risen above mediocrity.
If he hasn't played much during that period (only 4 apps this season) then he's hardly responsible for how the team has looked. That surely should be down to those selected and those that are responsible for putting the team out.....like the manager.

He did not have the full backing of Poch and Jose, yet he has been the Argentine managers first pick of late and been in their best just about every game, yet you say he is a calamity. Back the guy in, what are you rubbishing him for?

I’ve also said he needs to go out on loan and learn to eradicate his mistakes with another team. Both Poch and Mourinho tried to get the best out of him but he let them down or wasn’t as good as other options.

He may be argentina’s starting right back but that’s only because of a lack of options. I saw a couple of his games and he didn’t look that special, let alone their best player.

Back
Top Bottom