Juan Foyth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Foyth showed promise and can bring the ball out and make a good forward pass. However he has made lots of mistakes and many lead to conceding goals including one this season in front of Mourinho. Not sure he can recover from that in Mourinho's eyes who is the one he has to convince. He will need a break forcing Mourinho to play him like Bale got and then has to cut out the mistakes by knowing when he can bring the ball out and when it is too dangerous to do so.

It was absolutely incredible how posters on here were blinded by the fact that he was decent on the ball completely forgetting how much of a liability he was and the mistakes he made. People talk about Aurier making mistakes?? This guy made double the amount yet got nowhere near the criticsm. The clown gave away 2 fucking pens in a game and people said he was decent in that match loooooool.

It was absolutely incredible how posters on here were blinded by the fact that he was decent on the ball completely forgetting how much of a liability he was and the mistakes he made. People talk about Aurier making mistakes?? This guy made double the amount yet got nowhere near the criticsm. The clown gave away 2 fucking pens in a game and people said he was decent in that match loooooool.
Juan Foyth is 21/22 years old.
Aurier is 28 years old.

That was his first game for Spurs in starting eleven.

Foyth had mistakes. Still, I would rather have him in the squad then Aurier.

He was 19yrs old when he first started to play for us for fucksake!!!

Toby didn't make a regular in a top league until he was the age of 25 same with VVD!! Could list many, many more.

He was 19yrs old when he first started to play for us for fucksake!!!

Toby didn't make a regular in a top league until he was the age of 25 same with VVD!! Could list many, many more.
So? What's your point?

A player can be be whatever age if a Cb gives away 2 penalties in a match he did not under any circumstances have a decent game ffs.

Foyth literally made errors near enough every game he played yet people wanted him to start the next game based on the fact that he looked decent on the ball, it was baffling.

I remember having many disagreements with people about him. I said Poch absolutely favours him and it was my honest opinion nationality had a part to play. I said he would be dropped and nowhere near the first team if another manager was in charge and that has proven to be the case.

So? What's your point?

A player can be be whatever age if a Cb gives away 2 penalties in a match he did not under any circumstances have a decent game ffs.

Foyth literally made errors near enough every game he played yet people wanted him to start the next game based on the fact that he looked decent on the ball, it was baffling.

I remember having many disagreements with people about him. I said Poch absolutely favours him and it was my honest opinion nationality had a part to play. I said he would be dropped and nowhere near the first team if another manager was in charge and that has proven to be the case.
The point is CB's tend to nail down a starting spot late, not until around the age of 25 or so. He was 19/20/21!!!

YOUNG players MAKE MISTAKES, so allow for this.

He was behind one of the best CB pairings in Europe for fucksake. The same pairing that once our midfield stopped dealing with the oppo made mistakes almost every game too, especially Toby the past couple of seasons.

The point is CB's tend to nail down a starting spot late, not until around the age of 25 or so. He was 19/20/21!!!

YOUNG players MAKE MISTAKES, so allow for this.

He was behind one of the best CB pairings in Europe for fucksake. The same pairing that once our midfield stopped dealing with the oppo made mistakes almost every game too, especially Toby the past couple of seasons.
Are you intentionally missing the point?????

Of course age can play a part in a young player making mistakes but its irrelevant when critiquing a players performance. When analysing a game I don't say "oh he played shit but he's 19"....i say "he played shit".
In that wolves game he gave away 2 pens so thats automatically a shit performance but people were stating he was decent.
He had a ridiculous amount of apologists despite mistake after mistake. A luxury Ryan Sessegnnon doesn't get for example.

Anyway he doesn't have his spiritual father as a head coach here anymore so he's being shifted out utterly predictable.

He's 22yrs old!! Just a handful of months older than Tanganga, has 10 more appearances than Tanganga and is a full international for Argentina! He's had to sit behind/compete with one of the best CB partnerships in Europe since he arrived. The way some of you go on is utterly mindboggling, there is absolutely loads of time for him, most CB's don't hold down a spot until around 25'ish.

Well lets look at facts for a sec...

1) Foyth is born 12.01.1998, and is born and raised in Argentina
Tanganga is born on 31.03.1999, and is born and raised in England
That means age difference of 14,5 months. And I am not sure about the rules, but I am not sure Foyth will qualify as homegrown for us? While Tanganga 100% is. If that is true, it is a massive difference.
2) Sure up to now Tanganga has 11 appearences overall and Foyth 32. But let's revisit this statistic in 1 year and 3 months time. I am quite confident that by then Tanganga has played more than Foyth by now.
3) At the same time - during last season Foyth was not trusted to play more than 262 minutes of senior football while Tanganga earned 952 minutes. I feel he has way more trust credit by now already.
4) "had to sit behind with one of the best CB partnerships in Europe" - what? - in what world are you living mate. Toby and Jan were one of European best pairings years ago. Last season Jan was visibly past it, and in previous season Toby and Jan very rarely played together. 16/17 season is history. Juan joined before 17/18 - yea, maybe during his first season it was hard to get playing time. But last 2 our defense (including CB) has been a mess.
5) Nice way of twisting facts about gametime of other CBs but for example Toby played 45 games within 1 season by the time he was 21! Vertonghen had completed 78 games and was starter for Ajax by 22. VVD had played 66 games before becoming 22... etc. Foyth is 22,5 and has played less than 34 full senior games during his life.It is fact that Foyth has almost no senior matchday experience.

I would love if he would turn out to be world class CB for us at any point in time. Success of Spurs players make me always happy. But let's not get carried away into fantasy land and bend the facts however we like to support this hope.

I'd like to see him stay and at least have the fall to give it a real go at RB. He's really good with the ball at his feet and I've seen him put in some quality crosses. He may not be fast enough and he's got to stop giving away the panic foul when he is in a bad spot.

Are you intentionally missing the point?????

Of course age can play a part in a young player making mistakes but its irrelevant when critiquing a players performance. When analysing a game I don't say "oh he played shit but he's 19"....i say "he played shit".
In that wolves game he gave away 2 pens so thats automatically a shit performance but people were stating he was decent.
He had a ridiculous amount of apologists despite mistake after mistake. A luxury Ryan Sessegnnon doesn't get for example.

Anyway he doesn't have his spiritual father as a head coach here anymore so he's being shifted out utterly predictable.
It was a shit performance against Wolves but this doesn't mean he is shit. (+ it was Tripps who was responsible for one of the situations that led to one of the pens).

Tanganga aside from his debut game against Liverpool has for the majority of games he played afterwards lost most of his 1v1's and really, really struggled. He struggled more than Foyth IMO. BUT I think he's great! I can say this because he's competed well, he may have lost most of his 1v1's but he was a) played out of position (like Foyth has been too) and b) it's clear to see that whilst losing those 1v1's he was still very competitive, gave the oppo a hard time in beating him was doing the right things like showing the oppo a line, having good body shape, making the right choices on when to stand up or make a tackle. The reason why he lost these duels is because he's young and still developing but overall didn't look outclassed (the game that typified this performance was against Watford, were he a 25yr old I would have slated him for being shit but I didn't because despite being beaten up for almost all the game he still competed well, the defining balance of judgement here is his age!)

Look at Gomez, lots of errors this season but largely very encouraging performances (and this is in a team that has a functioning midfield and infinitely more balanced as a result than us), the parts that are encouraging from his game are the same qualities seen in Foyth and as mentioned above with Tanganga.

So, a young player can still lose his 1v1's but still be analysed positively given how they competed.

Well lets look at facts for a sec...

1) Foyth is born 12.01.1998, and is born and raised in Argentina
Tanganga is born on 31.03.1999, and is born and raised in England
That means age difference of 14,5 months. And I am not sure about the rules, but I am not sure Foyth will qualify as homegrown for us? While Tanganga 100% is. If that is true, it is a massive difference.
2) Sure up to now Tanganga has 11 appearences overall and Foyth 32. But let's revisit this statistic in 1 year and 3 months time. I am quite confident that by then Tanganga has played more than Foyth by now.
3) At the same time - during last season Foyth was not trusted to play more than 262 minutes of senior football while Tanganga earned 952 minutes. I feel he has way more trust credit by now already.
4) "had to sit behind with one of the best CB partnerships in Europe" - what? - in what world are you living mate. Toby and Jan were one of European best pairings years ago. Last season Jan was visibly past it, and in previous season Toby and Jan very rarely played together. 16/17 season is history. Juan joined before 17/18 - yea, maybe during his first season it was hard to get playing time. But last 2 our defense (including CB) has been a mess.
5) Nice way of twisting facts about gametime of other CBs but for example Toby played 45 games within 1 season by the time he was 21! Vertonghen had completed 78 games and was starter for Ajax by 22. VVD had played 66 games before becoming 22... etc. Foyth is 22,5 and has played less than 34 full senior games during his life.It is fact that Foyth has almost no senior matchday experience.

I would love if he would turn out to be world class CB for us at any point in time. Success of Spurs players make me always happy. But let's not get carried away into fantasy land and bend the facts however we like to support this hope.
Foyth was INJURED! Also, reported he picked up a knee injury too, I've not seen an update on this.
19/20Meniscal InjuryJun 18, 2020Jul 18, 202030 days7 games
19/20Ankle InjuryJul 31, 2019Sep 22, 201953 days7 games
18/19Muscle ThighJul 21, 2108Sep 22, 201863 days7 games

I'm not talking about just last season!! He's had to get ahead of both Toby and Jan for the past 3 seasons. BTW despite Toby and Jan being "visibly past it" Tanganga didn't get a game at CB, he was played both at RB and LB so what's your point? Are you also going to argue he's shit too because of this?

I believe that he doesn't count as homegrown, wasn't registered with any club affiliated (us) to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21), I don't have time to check and verify this but 80% sure we just missed out??

Read my WORDING again with regards to game-time of other CB's. I specifically state "Top League". The reason I did this is because the Eredivisie isn't in the top four leagues in Europe. Toby didn't nail down a place in a TOP LEAGUE until he went on loan to Southampton (Atlti loaned him on account that he wasn't their first choice (he made only 12 league apps in the year he was there, they then sold him).

I'm not getting carried away, I'm not calling him World Class, WHO THE FUCK IS!?? I'm saying as a young defender he's played well, has shown he has ability. My own personal opinion is that during his appearances he's been better then Tangagnga. I love Tanganga too! I am very excited for our CB options in Foyth, Sanchez & Tanganga (even Davies creeps into the options when playing 3ATB). We do have a conundrum however, both Tanganga and Foyth are not expected to be proper breakthroughs as CB's in a top half Club for a number of years yet.

Last edited:
It was a shit performance against Wolves but this doesn't mean he is shit. (+ it was Tripps who was responsible for one of the situations that led to one of the pens).

Tanganga aside from his debut game against Liverpool has for the majority of games he played afterwards lost most of his 1v1's and really, really struggled. He struggled more than Foyth IMO. BUT I think he's great! I can say this because he's competed well, he may have lost most of his 1v1's but he was a) played out of position (like Foyth has been too) and b) it's clear to see that whilst losing those 1v1's he was still very competitive, gave the oppo a hard time in beating him was doing the right things like showing the oppo a line, having good body shape, making the right choices on when to stand up or make a tackle. The reason why he lost these duels is because he's young and still developing but overall didn't look outclassed (the game that typified this performance was against Watford, were he a 25yr old I would have slated him for being shit but I didn't because despite being beaten up for almost all the game he still competed well, the defining balance of judgement here is his age!)

Look at Gomez, lots of errors this season but largely very encouraging performances (and this is in a team that has a functioning midfield and infinitely more balanced as a result than us), the parts that are encouraging from his game are the same qualities seen in Foyth and as mentioned above with Tanganga.

So, a young player can still lose his 1v1's but still be analysed positively given how they competed.
Tanganga struggled more than Foyth? Unreal. The Watford game where he played as a full back??

Foyth was INJURED! Also, reported he picked up a knee injury too, I've not seen an update on this.

I'm not talking about just last season!! He's had to get ahead of both Toby and Jan for the past 3 seasons. BTW despite Toby and Jan being "visibly past it" Tanganga didn't get a game at CB, he was played both at RB and LB so what's your point? Are you also going to argue he's shit too because of this?

I believe that he doesn't count as homegrown, wasn't registered with any club affiliated (us) to The Football Association or the Football Association of Wales for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons, or 36 months, before his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21), I don't have time to check and verify this but 80% sure we just missed out??

Read my WORDING again with regards to game-time of other CB's. I specifically state "Top League". The reason I did this is because the Eredivisie isn't in the top four leagues in Europe. Toby didn't nail down a place in a TOP LEAGUE until he went on loan to Southampton (Atlti loaned him on account that he wasn't their first choice (he made only 12 league apps in the year he was there, they then sold him).

I'm not getting carried away, I'm not calling him World Class, WHO THE FUCK IS!?? I'm saying as a young defender he's played well, has shown he has ability. My own personal opinion is that during his appearances he's been better then Tangagnga. I love Tanganga too! I am very excited for our CB options in Foyth, Sanchez & Tanganga (even Davies creeps into the options when playing 3ATB). We do have a conundrum however, both Tanganga and Foyth are not expected to be proper breakthroughs as CB's in a top half Club for a number of years yet.

Top league or not top league. You need playing experience. Also from mental side. To have tens of thousands of people in stands to cheer you to notice how you put your foot in every milisecond of the game... I am totally fine with players getting this experience from lesser league. It is far more valuable to play for top club in say Eredivise every week rather then to just train for Spurs. You can point out "nailing down starting place" in top 4 league as much as you want, but none of the VVD, Toby nor Vertonghen wouldn't have made it just by training. They got their experiences and lessons there and used it later in bigger league. Foyth virtually has no experience in any league whatsoever.

But interesting that you are coming with lie when I point out previous ones. "Tanganga did not play as CB".
Do explain what position he filled in following games -
- 10.03.2020 vs Leipzig
- 01.03.2020 vs Wolves
- 05.02.2020 vs Soton
- 24.09.2019 vs Colchester

In all those 4 games he played as part of 3 men CB trio. And in neither of those Foyth played... any position.

I was not saying that he nor Tanganga is shit because they have not getting many starts. I was disputing the excuse like there would have been some kind of world-class CB pairing in front of them when this clearly was not the case in at least past 2 seasons.

Fact is that Foyth is foreign player (essentially with him we are wasting one way more limited places in the squad), is extremely inexperienced despite being 14,5 months older than Tanganga and despite those 2 facts got a lot less playing time last year as well. Injuries might have not helped him, but if he keeps injured and has virtually 0 practice for one reason or the other, I just don't see how he could start to become starter for us ever. I see very little probability that he ever becomes starter for us in that point.

He hasnt "played well" for the most part that's an absolute myth. He has shown he has technical ability and is good on the ball for sure but the brain fart moments (similar to Dier) were every game. He demonstrated that he was nowhere near ready to play as a centre backing this league.

Tanganga struggled more than Foyth? Unreal. The Watford game where he played as a full back??
Well, don't just say "unreal", back it up if you disagree. What games was Tanganaga not outplayed in? (I've already named checked his debut against Liverpool). Yes, he was played at LB against Watford, not his position but he's only ever played CB once I think (Liverpool). Foyth too played quite a few games out of position as RB. I've already mentioned this, so what's your point?

Top league or not top league. You need playing experience. Also from mental side. To have tens of thousands of people in stands to cheer you to notice how you put your foot in every milisecond of the game... I am totally fine with players getting this experience from lesser league. It is far more valuable to play for top club in say Eredivise every week rather then to just train for Spurs. You can point out "nailing down starting place" in top 4 league as much as you want, but none of the VVD, Toby nor Vertonghen wouldn't have made it just by training. They got their experiences and lessons there and used it later in bigger league. Foyth virtually has no experience in any league whatsoever.

But interesting that you are coming with lie when I point out previous ones. "Tanganga did not play as CB".
Do explain what position he filled in following games -
- 10.03.2020 vs Leipzig
- 01.03.2020 vs Wolves
- 05.02.2020 vs Soton
- 24.09.2019 vs Colchester

In all those 4 games he played as part of 3 men CB trio. And in neither of those Foyth played... any position.

I was not saying that he nor Tanganga is shit because they have not getting many starts. I was disputing the excuse like there would have been some kind of world-class CB pairing in front of them when this clearly was not the case in at least past 2 seasons.

Fact is that Foyth is foreign player (essentially with him we are wasting one way more limited places in the squad), is extremely inexperienced despite being 14,5 months older than Tanganga and despite those 2 facts got a lot less playing time last year as well. Injuries might have not helped him, but if he keeps injured and has virtually 0 practice for one reason or the other, I just don't see how he could start to become starter for us ever. I see very little probability that he ever becomes starter for us in that point.
What actually is your point?

I've not said you don't need not to play
I've not said he wouldn't get this experience playing outside of a top league
I've not said it's not viable to play in the Eredivisie
The point I made about Toby not nailing down a place in a "Top League" was factual, he didn't achieve it when he left Ajax and went to Atleti. The point being made was about age and nothing else in any case.
I've not claimed Foyth has experience in any league.

I fucking know he's a foreign player, I haven't been brought this into the debate, you have and I'm not disagreeing with it.

I've ONLY referenced his AGE.

I completely forgot we still had him. I honestly thought we had sold him somewhere along the line. Which is good news: we still have the opportunity to sell him and spend that money on a player who can actually help us.

Back
Top Bottom