Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Proud of Kieran tonight...

I've been one of the less convinced among us in the past so credit where it's due. Even though the oppo were gash, for me he was one of few that showed consistent quality in their respective position tonight and as others have noted if not for HK he'd have been MOTM. I hope once the dust settles he'll enjoy the irony that it was 'the £50m man' whom in fact put our result (which otherwise would have been a dead cert) in jeopardy tonight.

Obv. Harry is GOD, but Dele was looking good til the twinge became apparent mid 1st half too.

Dem Yido's reprazentin', innit bruv!:pochohshit:
I do find it a little funny that in order to fit both Kieran and Kyle into the 11 Southgate has opted to move Kyle out of position instead of the other way around

I do find it a little funny that in order to fit both Kieran and Kyle into the 11 Southgate has opted to move Kyle out of position instead of the other way around

It seems that in your view the tail wiggles the dog.

I do admire Tripps as a professional and have been defending him here on numerous cases, but I have huge doubts that this tactical line up was specially designed to fit both Walker and Tripps to the pitch. It was more to do with the situation of central defenders. I mean it makes sense to convert atheltic Walker to RCB if the alternative would be old and leggy Cahill for example...

That being said, Tripps deliveries and decision making on the attacking side is two heads above Walker. I have said it often and seems that have to keep reminding it for forseeable future as well.

Walker is basically playing in this set up because he’s fast.
Trippier is the superior footballer...he has a football brain, actual skills that go beyond push the ball past the man and run like hell, and is all over the pitch finding space and creating.
He’s a leader at the back and orchestrates those around him.

If he was as fast as Walker people would call him world class....Walker benefits from a massive dose of Walcott-itis....oh look at him runnning. Shame about the end product though and the fact he’s a rather crap defender.
But at least he doesn’t put loads of “meaningless” balls into the box though to make chances eh, God forbid.

Walker is a miles better player than Trippier, especially against top class opponents. It's not just his pace, it's also his strength - and while he has a cock-up here or there, he is actually quite a good defender on the outside. Trippier gets bullied by more athletic wings simply because he's not big enough or fast enough to deal with them at all.

Love Trips but he's a limited player who makes the most out his strengths (that lovely right foot!). He's a valuable member of the squad, but against absolutely top opponents his limitations really hurt him.

Walker is a miles better player than Trippier, especially against top class opponents. It's not just his pace, it's also his strength - and while he has a cock-up here or there, he is actually quite a good defender on the outside. Trippier gets bullied by more athletic wings simply because he's not big enough or fast enough to deal with them at all.

Love Trips but he's a limited player who makes the most out his strengths (that lovely right foot!). He's a valuable member of the squad, but against absolutely top opponents his limitations really hurt him.

It’s a myth that gets clearly laid bare when they are on the pitch together.

What top opposition is Walker superior against? I clearly remembering him fucking up against Liverpool in the CL while Trippier was equally impressive as last night, if not better against Real.

If Walker had the same pace as Trippier, he’d be playing for Reading.

He was great yesterday, we need to let him take some corners instead of Eriksen sometimes.

It's not just his outstanding delivery though. He has excellent control, good decision making, doesn't switch off, good under pressure, surprisingly good with his head.

What I dislike is Walker as a CB. That will continue to cost us in this tournament.

It’s a myth that gets clearly laid bare when they are on the pitch together.

What top opposition is Walker superior against? I clearly remembering him fucking up against Liverpool in the CL while Trippier was equally impressive as last night, if not better against Real.

If Walker had the same pace as Trippier, he’d be playing for Reading.
To be fair mate, it's Walker that is the player that is accommodating Tripps, he's not a CB but playing CB, in fact this is only the 3rd time he's played this position. Do you think Tripps would make a good CB? (FWIW I don't think it was a pen either, he didn't throw out an arm he was protecting/shielding the ball as he was letting it run out to Tripps, fair play to their player for winning the pen, had that been Dele I'd had been delighted).

I thought Tripps was MoM last night but doesn't add anything to a Walker Trippier debate, may as well compare Trippier with Stones & Harry Maguire seeing they were also playing in the same position as Walker last night.

To be fair mate, it's Walker that is the player that is accommodating Tripps, he's not a CB but playing CB, in fact this is only the 3rd time he's played this position. Do you think Tripps would make a good CB?

No I dont think he would but neither does Walker.....so the reality is that Walker is there for pace, and Trippier offers more as a wing back which is why hes been picked to play there.

(FWIW I don't think it was a pen either, he didn't throw out an arm he was protecting/shielding the ball as he was letting it run out to Tripps, fair play to their player for winning the pen, had that been Dele I'd had been delighted).

Personally I think we are very quick to accept Walkers mistakes and limitiations, but just as quick to point out Trippiers. It was a text book Walker moment.......gifting a goal from nothing.

I thought Tripps was MoM last night but doesn't add anything to a Walker Trippier debate, may as well compare Trippier with Stones & Harry Maguire seeing they were also playing in the same position as Walker last night.

It added loads to the debate. It showed that Trippier is a better footballer, with a better brain and better delivery.
Walker played CB, yet when he did overlap on the wing late on, he was ineffective and wasteful

Last edited:
No I dont think he would but neither does Walker.....so the reality is that Walker is there for pace, and Trippier offers more as a wing back which is why hes been picked to play there.

Personally I think we are very quick to accept Walkers mistakes and limitiations, but just as quick to point out Trippiers. It was a text book Walker moment.......gifting a goal from nothing.

It added loads to the debate. It showed that Trippier is a better footballer, with a better brain and better delivery.
Walker played CB, yet when he did overlap on the wing late on, he was ineffective and wasteful
BUT Tripps didn't play CB, so we will never know and simply can't make that comparison. Again, may as well introduce and compare Stones and Maguire, they were also playing CB, but no one is doing that because I suggest that's because they were playing CB too. (Again your position is based on the fact that you thought he was at fault for the pen, that's fair enough and accept some will hold that opinion, but I don't, I don't think Walker fucked up, so I can't beat him up for it).

It's right to compare and debate the two wingbacks, as they play the same position, Young was really poor, he backed up the advanced AM but did nothing when on the ball, unlike Tripps who was on it, and was a genuine threat almost every time he was on the ball.

Walker says hello remember my CL brain-farts .... what other 'top class' opponents are you talking about?

Trippier displays a vastly superior footballing brain ... for example, when was the last time Trippier defending a cross, chucked an elbow, when under no real pressure, in the box, un-sighted, whilst facing the wrong way, against a 2nd rate striker (sure Walker might have been playing CB but it's a position FB's are in all the time) .... Walker is a quality player but he's also an accident waiting to happen ... quite happy with our boy thanks .....

Last edited:
BUT Tripps didn't play CB, so we will never know and simply can't make that comparison. Again, may as well introduce and compare Stones and Maguire, they were also playing CB, but no one is doing that because I suggest that's because they were playing CB too. (Again your position is based on the fact that you thought he was at fault for the pen, that's fair enough and accept some will hold that opinion, but I don't, I don't think Walker fucked up, so I can't beat him up for it).

But my views stand for when Walker is playing wing back and full back too. I think Trippier is a superior footballer and if Walker wasnt fast he wouldnt look out of place in the championship

Don't really get the people saying "without pace and power Walker is nothing." That seems a bit ridiculous to me, like saying without speed and agility Messi would be nothing. Walker HAS these traits and they're what make him arguably the best right back in Europe.
But class performance from Tripps last night btw, delighted for him.
:pochhail:

But my views stand for when Walker is playing wing back and full back too. I think Trippier is a superior footballer and if Walker wasnt fast he wouldnt look out of place in the championship
Fast and strong.

If Trippier couldn't cross a ball as well as he sometimes does........?

I think we were blessed when we had all 4 full backs.

Aurier has yet to compensate for Walker's loss and we wait to see if Rose regains the form that made him the best left back in the Premier.

But talk of what players would be like if they did not have a particular attribute is somewhat limiting to sensible discussion in truth.

Don't really get the people saying "without pace and power Walker is nothing." That seems a bit ridiculous to me, like saying without speed and agility Messi would be nothing. Walker HAS these traits and they're what make him arguably the best right back in Europe.
But class performance from Tripps last night btw, delighted for him.
:pochhail:

Its not the same at all. Messi isnt fast for one, but he has a sense of position, he has composure and doesnt just react like an amature time and time again. He also has great skill.

Walker best attribute is nothing he had to learn, and one that saves him from getting caught out from the lack of other attributes.

Back
Top Bottom