Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He’s playing very well that has to be said, but I’ve been impressed by him since he came into our side, so the difference hasn’t been great for me.
Although we should remember the quality of the opposition he's faced so far hasn't been of the standard of the top premier league or European teams we need to compete against. The next one or hopefully two games will be a sterner test

If Poch plays him in a back four I wouldn't shed a tear.

Back it up pipes aye lad. Nothing more cunty than splashing the x's from behind the sofa.

Mate, he's been border-line calamitous in many games this season. People praising his crossing that hasn't found a Spurs player, most coming from deep, not getting behind the oppo etc., etc... He's rarely played this high up the pitch, the only time I can recall him being so advanced was against Madrid made easier by a huge hole vacated by an absent Marcello (that sounds bad on him, not meant to be he played well in that game but Marcello was a reason why). When he's played well I've come on here and deliberately made a point of that (because I've never rated him). I'd say I've done that 5 times the season just gone, that ain't a lot. For me that's nothing to get excited about.

Now, if Poch play's him like Southgate does, I'm all in 100%. But he simply has not played like this at Spurs, if he had I'd have been all over it waiving his metaphorical flag.

Played in a back four for with Sanchez, Davies and Jan for about 75% of the season going 20 odd games unbeaten and beating the likes of Chelsea away.

Calamitous, rightio.

I can guarantee you that he will firmly be our first choice RB next season, and will continue to impress and excel.
I trust the manager and I trust the player.

You've already admitted you have an agenda on this, I think Trippier is speaking for himself on the pitch.

You keep saying Poch hasnt played Trippier like Southgate does:

Hmmmmm.....seem to have missed a lot last season, Marcello seems very present to me...also played the same way in the Liverpool 4-1.

You called his crosses aimless punts......but now you love it?

Last edited:
Although we should remember the quality of the opposition he's faced so far hasn't been of the standard of the top premier league or European teams we need to compete against. The next one or hopefully two games will be a sterner test

See the video above.......did we not beat Chelsea, Utd, Woolwich and Liverpool with Trippier in the side?

Played in a back four for with Sanchez, Davies and Jan for about 75% of the season going 20 odd games unbeaten and beating the likes of Chelsea away.

Calamitous, rightio.

I can guarantee you that he will firmly be our first choice RB next season, and will continue to impress and excel.

You've already admitted you have an agenda on this, I think Trippier is speaking for himself on the pitch.

Hmmmmm.....seem to havent missed a lot last season

You've just posted a vid of a game where I've acknowledged he was good in, not sure what that does to the debate here??? What it does show is that in a back three he can perform, as he is doing so now. In a back four he's poor, he's mainly played in a back four with Spurs. So, as I said in my previous post, if Poch wants to play him in a back 3 I'm all in 100%.

He's been as calamitous in as many games as he's been good in (bit of guesswork here, I'm not going through an entire season review) but I'd make that about 5 a piece, the thread will no doubt bare this out should anyone be so inclined as to go through it.

Calamitous, rightio.

Hmmmmm.....seem to have missed a lot last season, Marcello seems very present to me...also played the same way in the Liverpool 4-1.

You called his crosses aimless punts......but now you love it?

With Trippier he is a brilliant technical player but is just not lighting fast. In defensive situation that can cause issues if he faces a really fast winger.

However in a back three with Alderwierd or with England Walker he is covered. As a wing back I think Trippier is most suited, in a back 4 if we play Liverpool with Mane for example it can cause issues.

Simply saying he is a great player but I love him most when we play him wing back with a back 3.

You've just posted a vid of a game where I've acknowledged he was good in, not sure what that does to the debate here??

You said he was good because Marcello didnt play though, which is clearly false.
In a back four he's poor, he's mainly played in a back four with Spurs. So, as I said in my previous post, if Poch wants to play him in a back 3 I'm all in 100%.

Was he poor in the Utd 2-0, Chelsea 3-1 and Woolwich 1-0 in a back 4? And most of the games from about December onwards when we went three months unbeaten with a back 4?

What are you on about?

All this back three stuff too.....whats he doing differently? What, in a back 3 his crosses and assists are great, but in a back four his crosses and assists are "aimless punts into the box"

With Trippier he is a brilliant technical player but is just not lighting fast. In defensive situation that can cause issues if he faces a really fast winger.

However in a back three with Alderwierd or with England Walker he is covered. As a wing back I think Trippier is most suited, in a back 4 if we play Liverpool with Mane for example it can cause issues.

Simply saying he is a great player but I love him most when we play him wing back with a back 3.

Its being blown all out of proportion to suggest Tripper cant play in a back four....its face saving. We just finished 3rd with him in a back 4 for 3/4s of the season.

We beat Chelsea away with him in a back 4....apparently he was calamitous.

Its being blown all out of proportion to suggest Tripper cant play in a back four....its face saving. We just finished 3rd with him in a back 4 for 3/4s of the season.

We beat Chelsea away with him in a back 4....apparently he was calamitous.

Yeh he can play in a back 4. We just got used to Walker with his power and pace or Aurier (when his minds on the game) giving us brutal blunt protection. Trippier can defend he is just not out and out quick.

I also feel you get the best out of Trippier as a wing back rather than right back because of the attacking ability he has.

You said he was good because Marcello didnt play though, which is clearly false.

Was he poor in the Utd 2-0, Chelsea 3-1 and Woolwich 1-0 in a back 4? And most of the games from about December onwards when we went three months unbeaten with a back 4?

What are you on about?

All this back three stuff too.....whats he doing differently? What, in a back 3 his crosses and assists are great, but in a back four his crosses and assists are "aimless punts into the box"
I said he was good against Madrid, said it at the time, said it in my post (I chose to point out the the fact Marcello was obliging, which he absolutely was, all analysis of the game slate's either Marcello directly or pointed the finger at RM being reckless in their tactics by not getting him to drop back).

To generalise: In a back 3 he's more advanced, he's behind the oppo, defence has been turned, facing their goal. In a back four his crosses are from deep/further back, less influential, the the oppo facing the direction the ball ergo easier for them to defend. Then in a back three he doesn't have to spend the entire game bombing up and down the wing (like Walker and Rose do so well). He absolutely still has to focus on defensive duties but there is more help available, more cover from midfield and more cover from one of the CB's, he isn't so exposed defensively than when playing in a back four.

He's looked poor or just ordinary in a back four. As I said has had approx 5 great games for us, which ain't a lot and approx 5 bad games. The remainder have been average I guess. Which in a team that when it's on song, playing amazing football is defined by the athleticism of our fullbacks (since Poch has been manager), it's been our hallmark. Baring in mind you haven't been waxing lyrical about many of our games this season too, which is a bit at odds as to perhaps over-stating his greatness this season???

I say again, give me this Tripps that we are seeing and I have absolutely zero problem with it, he's in for a shout as one of the tournaments best players given that he's consistently performed well in every game. I don't have an issue saying this, I hold no, or trying hard not to hold, a conformation bias with him.

I think he's been poor to average most of the season for Spurs, I think he's been great for England in the World Cup (include one or two of the lead up games for England too). The difference for me is the system, he's better suited to a back three than a back four, at Spurs we've mainly deployed a back four in the season just gone.

If you can stand Craig Mitch, he's been interviewed today.

Anyone else think Trippier constantly saying that he 'kept putting it in the same spot' in training before that penalty shootout is potentially a mind game? If you were Croatian, you'd hear that and assume he'd put it in the bottom left again.

It's not a binary thing: just because someone thinks he's performing BETTER at the WC than he did during the season, doesn't mean that person thought he was shite. Just an acknowledgment of an improvement down to a combo of hitting form; a system that works to his strengths; and on balance probably weaker opponents.

I really like him as a person and think he's decent and have been very impressed with him these last few weeks. But on the balance over 17/18 I felt he wasn't quite quality enough and was frustrated at KWP's lack of opportunity at his expense.

Anyone else think Trippier constantly saying that he 'kept putting it in the same spot' in training before that penalty shootout is potentially a mind game? If you were Croatian, you'd hear that and assume he'd put it in the bottom left again.

Tripps went high with his pen. Keeper never stood a chance. I think I'd be inclined to stick there if I was him. It's a very difficult place to save a pen even if the keeper guesses right.

Last edited:
It's not a binary thing: just because someone thinks he's performing BETTER at the WC than he did during the season, doesn't mean that person thought he was shite. Just an acknowledgment of an improvement down to a combo of hitting form; a system that works to his strengths; and on balance probably weaker opponents.

I really like him as a person and think he's decent and have been very impressed with him these last few weeks. But on the balance over 17/18 I felt he wasn't quite quality enough and was frustrated at KWP's lack of opportunity at his expense.

That’s fair enough but many think he’s mid table and have said so on numerous occasions over the season.

Back
Top Bottom