Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I mean this with maximum respect, but every time I see him, I can't shake the feeling that he'd make first casting call as the demolition man for a heist movie.

Toby would be the muscle.

Hugo, the brains. :llorishowudoin:

If anyone deserves a pay rise and the respect of the fans I reckon it's Tripps. The way he knuckled down when he was little more than a bench player for so long is really paying off for the lad. Always acted like a true pro determined to make the most of his chance at a big club.
And we didn’t pay the Earth for him. Just shows that there are very high quality players to be had without spunking 10’s of millions just to say you’ve bought an expensive player. To my mind, it’s far more rewarding to see a player like him blossom, & demonstrates what a fantastic manager we have in developing someone to be the best they possibly can be without relying on buying a ready made superstar to slot into a position where the team is a little light

I was glad to see him on corners and free kicks. He's earned that after the summer.

Corners weren't the best but to tell Eriksen to step off and then put that free kick in from 30 yards was just excellent.

Needs to do more with the ball though - sooooooo many wasted crosses yesterday. I thought Davies was actually better offensively than Trippier was yesterday.

And we didn’t pay the Earth for him. Just shows that there are very high quality players to be had without spunking 10’s of millions just to say you’ve bought an expensive player. To my mind, it’s far more rewarding to see a player like him blossom, & demonstrates what a fantastic manager we have in developing someone to be the best they possibly can be without relying on buying a ready made superstar to slot into a position where the team is a little light
Not gonna disagree wuth your general point on this one. Its always nice to see a player develop and flourish at your club, of course it is. But sometimes buying a ready made superstar, as you put it, is what you need at that particular moment to help take you that extra yard when you need it. It's something a club of our size and wealth should be able, but is seemingly unwilling, to do.
That's been my argument over recent years.

Not gonna disagree wuth your general point on this one. Its always nice to see a player develop and flourish at your club, of course it is. But sometimes buying a ready made superstar, as you put it, is what you need at that particular moment to help take you that extra yard when you need it. It's something a club of our size and wealth should be able, but is seemingly unwilling, to do.
That's been my argument over recent years.
United could do with the extra yard their summer signings have given them. Same for West Ham. Sometimes having patience & faith in what you have is eventually rewarded.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but was Christian's last free kick goal for us about 2-3 years ago?

Can't see why Kieran hasn't moved right up in the order given his WC displays but technically is he not 1 for 1 with us now haha. Let him carry on. Or they can share and maybe he'll of made Eriksen more determined to bang one in now ?

That aside I thought he was fantastic today and while his final ball wasn't always on point he was a constant thorn in Fulham's side and , ok possibly due to 3 CB's , he didn't ignore his defensive duties while attacking to a point that we were clearly "exposed" down his side.

Love his down to earth demeanour as well. Top lad. Yet another reason for opposition fans to envy us

Wasn't there a late winner vs Palace or Swansea away; be it last season or the year before I can't recall....

I love how 3 months ago there was literally a fucking thread talking about how our "weak" full backs won't ever allow us to win anything.

Nothing has changed in those months, Tripps wasn't better for England than he was for Spurs. He's always been a fantastic full back when he's played for us and I'm grateful we have him.
Tbf his free kicks for England have added something we never knew he had in his locker, apart from that I agree

Totally agree. I was thinking Joe Bryan from Fulham yesterday was quite useful. Poch would make him a player... 6 million quid.

I was glad to see him on corners and free kicks. He's earned that after the summer.
Corners weren't the best but to tell Eriksen to step off and then put that free kick in from 30 yards was just excellent.

Needs to do more with the ball though - sooooooo many wasted crosses yesterday. I thought Davies was actually better offensively than Trippier was yesterday.
Tbf his free kicks for England have added something we never knew he had in his locker, apart from that I agree
hqdefault.jpg

big_1478374470_image.jpg

Just sayin'
:gazza:
#samefuckingbladeofgrass

As his biggest detractor on here I thought he had a good game. His crossing however was shit, very wasteful with only one of his well into double figures attempts finding a Spurs player, Davies crosses were far better but didn't get as far forward or have anything like the volume as Tripps. But I can watch him when we are 3ATB.

Stunning free kick and his corners have the right mix of pace and depth, hit flat which I also like (Lamela also does this).

I know it's easy to claim "great crossing" when they go into good areas, but there aren't spurs players in those areas, and that's not great when a player actually has the time to look up and aim, and there were a couple of bad ones yesterday, but there were also some where he didn't have the time and still actually put them into great areas and no-one had gambled and gone central, they'd either hang at the back or gone near (or both). But this is still a shit load better than Walker continually just miss hitting them into he first man.

Where Trippier is much better than Walker is actually getting his head up and seeing a pass into that inside channel and playing it, perfectly weighted, he does it regularly, did it several times yesterday, including for the first goal, and it's just as good - sometimes better - than a good cross.

Yup, strangely though he scored a few good free kicks for both Barnsley going back to 2011 and his next club Burnley, but I think he must have improved them a lot since (whilst at Spurs) because although everyone kind of knew Trippier being a great crosser at Burnley when he joined Spurs nobody seemed to recall his skill at free kicks or corners.

I didnt actually think his delivery was all that bad yesterday. Considering the amount he was hitting first time. We weren't getting a huge amount of runners into the box.

Looking at how narrow Chelsea have been playing and how pathetic Arsenals attempt at a high line was yesterday then Trips could be a very useful player for us this year

I know it's easy to claim "great crossing" when they go into good areas, but there aren't spurs players in those areas, and that's not great when a player actually has the time to look up and aim, and there were a couple of bad ones yesterday, but there were also some where he didn't have the time and still actually put them into great areas and no-one had gambled and gone central, they'd either hang at the back or gone near (or both). But this is still a shit load better than Walker continually just miss hitting them into he first man.

Where Trippier is much better than Walker is actually getting his head up and seeing a pass into that inside channel and playing it, perfectly weighted, he does it regularly, did it several times yesterday, including for the first goal, and it's just as good - sometimes better - than a good cross.
Whether a cross goes over everyone and sails over to the far stick or hits first man there is no difference, the cross is/was inaccurate, the result is exactly the same. (the same too from a corner, people would only site the "can't beat first man" bollocks which is the same result as a cross missing everyone and going far side and yes that also includes a cross hit "into the mixer" bullshit which people seem to approve of, despite it being easily claimed by the 'keeper or defended with ease by a 10 vs 4. When a cross doesn't beat the first man it's not because a player can't kick a ball that far, it's because they are aiming for an invisible tiny area at the near post, this invisible slot has to be far enough away from the 'keeper, high enough to beat the jumping defenders but still hit hard enough and low/flat enough for one of our players to get in-front of the oppo, is there any wonder why it's low percentage football??). I will forgive any cross that is inches away from a head or toe of one of our players running onto it, or produce the finger tips of a 'keeper to take it off the head of an attacker and obviously one that finds the head of it's target but they fail to connect well with it, all others are simply incomplete passes or shite. Trippers crossing yesterday was shite, any defence of his crossing yesterday simply isn't credible.

I 100% agree with you on his "key passes", often played around the oppo finding a run from one of our players going from in to out, these are an excellent well rehearsed passage of our play, I could watch those all day, it's much better football to watch and far more effective than just lumping it into the box, be they hit first time or not. If they are defended then we still are in a position to counter-press the defender with both Trips himself or the player he was passing to, and all in a very dangerous area of the pitch too with a panicked defender on the ball, lovely jubbly let's rejoice these, let's see more of these, those are actually better and more effective than a cross.

Don't want to make this a Walker vs Tripps debate mate, nothing personal, it's just I'm so bored of that and I've posted far too many times and my views haven't changed, suffice to say picking up on Walkers "not beating the first man" with his crosses is again utter bullshit when you ignore a) the above about what is being aimed at, this also applies to Tripps too, who regularly fails to beat the first man as was evidence yesterday b) failing to acknowledge that Walkers threat was to commit a defender because he had the ability to take on his opponents in 1vs1's and thus creating space for the likes of *insert attackers man here c) that he would more often than not cut the ball back which was by far his most effective creative part of his game (just as Trippier is with his key passes to a runner moving in to out). It's bullshit to ignore this.

This is where Poch works wonders, up until a month or so Tripps had NEVER taken on and beaten an opponent, so Poch has us adapt and we've found away around that and getting Tripps effective high up the pitch with his key passes. With Walker it was the same with his cut backs once he had beaten his man and had got behind. (I hate crosses be they from Walker, Tripps, Rose or Davies as the result is largely the same, it's nothing to do with each's ability to kick the ball, it's just they are low percentage and very rare that something actually comes from from them. Most of what I am talking about here is a cross from outside of the box, I note this as obviously if we are in the box then a cross is acceptable ball to play, the odds are significantly improved, just to make that clear what I'm against and my definition of a cross that's low percentage).

Back
Top Bottom