Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In all, this was a positive debut from Walker-Peters and he could become a real attacking asset in the current setup given that the advancing full-backs provide width and support.

Southampton fans reasonably positive on KWP performance where he was up against Dwight McNeil, often one of Burnley's best players.

People always like to maintain reasons like this. It's an ego-protective rationalization and prevents them from having to say "My initial assessment was wrong". But if it works.

Doesn’t mean it’s not true though!

Even if you don’t think much of KWP, difficult to argue he wouldn’t have benefited from a loan at some stage to gain experience and demonstrate what his level is. And that some of his performances need to be taken in context of those lack of minuteS e.g. he was thrown in to start at the Nou Camp having not played a competitive minute for a couple of months.

Even if you don’t think much of KWP, difficult to argue he wouldn’t have benefited from a loan at some stage to gain experience and demonstrate what his level is. And that some of his performances need to be taken in context of those lack of minuteS e.g. he was thrown in to start at the Nou Camp having not played a competitive minute for a couple of months.

He would have benfited from a loan but he still would not be at a better club than where he is.

He just is not good enough for us.

Correct, but the point was not to discount any potential hampering effects of not playing. It is the conventional wisdom but CW is often horseshit. On the flipside one could point to Harry Winks who 'suffered' the same process couldn't they? And how about young Mr Tanganga? So it doesn't mean their position is valid either.

So I ask fine sir, which is more likely the kid not being good enough or his missing of loans preventing him from becoming the next Cafu? Oh, we know the answer there don't we?

So back to my initial point, folks will do a triple mental salchow to avoid admitting they were wrong. This is not behavior you should be looking to excuse. They really don't need permission here as they are gonna do it anyway.

He would have benfited from a loan but he still would not be at a better club than where he is.

He just is not good enough for us.

But would he have been better than Aurier?

Correct, but the point was not to discount any potential hampering effects of not playing. It is the conventional wisdom but CW is often horseshit. On the flipside one could point to Harry Winks who 'suffered' the same process couldn't they? And how about young Mr Tanganga? So it doesn't mean their position is valid either.

So I ask fine sir, which is more likely the kid not being good enough or his missing of loans preventing him from becoming the next Cafu? Oh, we know the answer there don't we?

So back to my initial point, folks will do a triple mental salchow to avoid admitting they were wrong. This is not behavior you should be looking to excuse. They really don't need permission here as they are gonna do it anyway.

Agreed it doesn’t appear based on what we’ve seen that he would be the next Cafu. But he could easily have become the next Ben Davies (note they have different styles etc but I’m referring to his overall standard) which would have meant he could’ve been a viable if not upgradable option for us these past couple of seasons.

The fact that he was consistently highly regarded in every England set up throughout the age groups tells me that those revisionists you speak of did have some basis for their positivity.

I can see us signing Aarons this summer for anything from £25-40m which I’m not against (price tag aside). But I personally can’t help feeling that KWP could have saved us that money had he played 40 champ games and had another 1,000 minutes with us.

Agreed it doesn’t appear based on what we’ve seen that he would be the next Cafu. But he could easily have become the next Ben Davies (note they have different styles etc but I’m referring to his overall standard) which would have meant he could’ve been a viable if not upgradable option for us these past couple of seasons.

The fact that he was consistently highly regarded in every England set up throughout the age groups tells me that those revisionists you speak of did have some basis for their positivity.

I can see us signing Aarons this summer for anything from £25-40m which I’m not against (price tag aside). But I personally can’t help feeling that KWP could have saved us that money had he played 40 champ games and had another 1,000 minutes with us.

Two managers have picked Aurier over KWP. KWP had a run out earlier in the season and wasnt good enough.

Let it go.

Make sure you stick that mental dismount.:allitongue:

But he could easily have become the next Ben Davies (note they have different styles etc but I’m referring to his overall standard) which would have meant he could’ve been a viable if not upgradable option for us these past couple of seasons.
Debatable. Davies is a good player but lacking in athleticism. My only concern with this player is his suitability to the flying FB role. With the bus now in full effect perhaps his areas of weakness will be masked.

This is fallacious reasoning. Being the best of perhaps a bad bunch doesn't mean a player is good ie relative quality does not necessarily mean absolute quality. There are many players in that same England setup that won't see the PL. This is the same faulty reasoning that could make any bad player on a good team good. And the England coaches aren't really going to highlight a player's weaknesses are they? And the biggie...how many English players would be in the PL if there weren't quotas? So what I'm saying is, basically...context is king.

But I personally can’t help feeling that KWP could have saved us that money had he played 40 champ games and had another 1,000 minutes with us.
Bookmarked. Shall I check back with you? I hope the kid makes it but something tells me he won't ever be at our level. He's small and not overly technical. Beyond that he's not a blazer nor does he carry any physical intimidation. Sort of a rather nondescript player that we have been pushing out of the academy to rave reviews from the usual suspects only to have them find excuse after excuse...after excuse when it doesn't work out as they expected or loudly and frequently proclaimed. Yet, they never get to the "I was wrong and according to the evidence he wasn't good enough in the first place" of the evaluation process. This is where the revisionism comes in. This allows them to avoid any cognitive dissonance with their self-perceived ability to spot a player.

Supposedly we lost out on a parade of world beaters with Poch but I've yet to be provided with a list of those players and proof that they were dying to come here. But you can bet your ass those same revisionists will be out in force proclaiming 'victory' the next time some random youth player breaks through at another club but with the most tenuous of previous links to us. That's the key to the revisionist mind, they get it right everytime in hindsight...but in realtime they got a pocket full of extenuating circumstances. If only these kids' talent was as deep they might be on to something.

Last edited:
Lol, er by watching him play you can see he is a good player?

It amazes me the amount of fans that think because a player comes through the academy that they are good.

Use your feckin eyes man. And stop moaning because others can see what you cant
Where have I mentioned the academy?

Did you not watch the games he was MOTM?

Did you miss the run of games he had the most assists?

You're a fucking idiot. I suggest you stop telling posters to give their daughters a slap and start to actually watch games, cunt.

so were sinking into a major cunt off over a 22 year old who has hardly kicked a ball for spurs? FML. Hopefully he gets a good run at Southampton then we will all know. Best case, he just needed a run of games and is indeed the second coming, we take him back and win the league, alternatively hes just a decent RB and we keep him for cover/sell him for £12m. Worst case he's shit and is sold to Rotherham for 12 balls and a set of bibs.
Time, you melts, is our friend.

so were sinking into a major cunt off over a 22 year old who has hardly kicked a ball for spurs? FML. Hopefully he gets a good run at Southampton then we will all know. Best case, he just needed a run of games and is indeed the second coming, we take him back and win the league, alternatively hes just a decent RB and we keep him for cover/sell him for £12m. Worst case he's shit and is sold to Rotherham for 12 balls and a set of bibs.
Time, you melts, is our friend.

No, the worst case is that we're stuck with him on the books till 2023. Not one of Poch's best moments, he hadn't done anything to earn a 5 years 20-30k a year contract. Whenever he's up against anyone decent, he looks horribly out of his depth and simply not up to it physically.

Last edited:
It's not impossible that Rabbit-hutch teaches him how to defend, and that constant game time and some form of legal German roids turn him into an aggressive tough tackling beast. That he also develops an uncharacteristic nasty streak. In which case that five year contract will look like a work of genius....as I say not impossible, just very very fucking unlikely. Still met KWP and he's a super nice lad so fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom