Kyle Walker

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He said in his 5live interview that some players 'might fancy a change' or feel Spurs are a 'nearly club' and that they've done enough.

He also said he was told a few months ago these next two or three windows are going to be the ones where full-backs are going to go for a lot of money.

Indeed. He's put up a run of posts on Instagram celebrating his time at Spurs, I don't doubt for a second that he has love for the club and that this is an emotional departure for him. I'm absolutely gutted to see him go but hope that our fans will show him respect in the future (presuming he continues to show it to us). I'm not down with all these people on social media calling him a snake and all that shit. He's actually handled this with class IMO. Just sad that he's just made City a much better team!
Have always liked his personality. Seems to have a deep love for Sheffield United & for us. He's also a fun loving kind of guy as his antics on SpursTV shows.

Que sera etc.

I wish the lad well.

He said in his 5live interview that some players 'might fancy a change' or feel Spurs are a 'nearly club' and that they've done enough.

He also said he was told a few months ago these next two or three windows are going to be the ones where full-backs are going to go for a lot of money.

I don't call him Danny Rose I call him the Oracle.

That doesnt equate to what was implied above.

Besides, that was a standard issue non-commital, politically correct response from Danny.... All players drop that line.

Told by whom....This meant to be part of the same interview?

Is this not just more retrospective reinterpretation?

I missed the begining but i vividly recall the part cited in your first paragraph...

(More generally, isnt it 'Funny' how peeps suddenly "knew it all along"... "KWs days were always numbered since he lied to Poch"... "he's crossed Poch twice now".... Some of the shite posted on here today would put the so-called ITK merchants to shame.)

It's going to take a little getting used to not having him around. Wish him the best I. I trust the formation to not be dependent on one player, even one quite as fast as Walker.
This is something that slightly troubles me. A lot of our success with the 3-5-2 formation favoured by Poch has been down to the power & pace of Rose & Walker on the flanks-it is a defenders nightmare to have that relentless threat out wide, from both sides of the pitch, for 90 minutes. Trippier simply does not have that explosive pace or athleticism & therefore we lose that dynamic on our right flank.
Poch obviously sees Trippier's passing ability as a counter to his lack of Walker-esque pace, but we are without a plan B on our right side & our lack of pace to burn could make us predictable.

I'm therefore hoping we can use a portion of the Walker cash for someone with lightning speed that Poch can mould into another top class full back. His record suggests he will find that player & train/convert him.

:avbpray:

This is something that slightly troubles me. A lot of our success with the 3-5-2 formation favoured by Poch has been down to the power & pace of Rose & Walker on the flanks-it is a defenders nightmare to have that relentless threat out wide, from both sides of the pitch, for 90 minutes. Trippier simply does not have that explosive pace or athleticism & therefore we lose that dynamic on our right flank.
Poch obviously sees Trippier's passing ability as a counter to his lack of Walker-esque pace, but we are without a plan B on our right side & our lack of pace to burn could make us predictable.

I'm therefore hoping we can use a portion of the Walker cash for someone with lightning speed that Poch can mould into another top class full back. His record suggests he will find that player & train/convert him.

Danny Rose? And stick Davies on the other side? My gut tells me we're due a right back in the window soon. People have touted Periera.

Danny Rose? And stick Davies on the other side? My gut tells me we're due a right back in the window soon. People have touted Periera.
The overview from Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb seemed pretty promising about Pereira.

We've got to be careful not to snub Trippier now & he deserves his crack at being first choice.

However, he isn't "quick" & we stand to lose fluidity in our attack if his passing is off. I don't want us to appear laboured or unbalanced on one side of the pitch, which I think we presently risk without Walker. We have genuine pace on the left with Rose/Son (but not Son as a LB ever again) but I'm struggling to think of anyone we currently have on the right hand side who has the pace to stretch midfielders & demolish defenders

To those who think that this somehow shows that our club's primary goal is to sell our players to maximize profits: if that is what we are trying to do, we are fucking terrible at it. Why sell our 9th or so most valuable player? Why not sell Dele, Kane and Dier for a combined 325 million? Why not sell Eriksen or Rose or Toby or Hugo or Sonny? They'd all probably go for more than Walker.

It's because the manager and the chairman are making decisions based on footballing considerations first and foremost. None of those other players have nearly as good replacements in the squad. Walker (consummate professional that he always has been) was the least valuable regular to the squad on the pitch. If we need to sell before buying, the least disruptive way to raise funds was to sell Kyle Walker.

Levy is simply not in money grab mode. While we can reasonably debate the merits of the decision to sell Walker, I don't think we can doubt that the club's motivation here is to improve the squad.

Not sure we play 3-5-2, anyway pace is overrated, we break as quickly as anyone. We're up against teams that defend with 10 men, and we pass it around their box probing for an opportunity. Walker, for all his fabled pace, rarely figures in these moves, because when it all gets tippy tappy he's not going to find a killer pass. Trippier can do that. He's a smarter footballer.

And don't take my word for it - Poch has decided that's the case, and he knows more about it than gibbsy - amazing as that sounds.

Last edited:
Not sure we play 3-5-2, anyway pace is overrated, we break as quickly as anyone. We're up against teams that defend with 10 men, and we pass it around their box probing for an opportunity. Walker, for all his fabled pace, rarely figures in these moves, because when it all gets tippy tappy he's not going to find a killer pass. Trippier can do that. He's a smarter footballer.

And don't take my word for it - Poch has decided that's the case.
I'm not sure it's 3-5-2 either if I'm honest. But it's widely acknowledged that we often play 3 at the back with the fullbacks bombing on down the wings & the 3 CB's splitting. The system is more fluid than a simple 3-5-2, granted, but I wouldn't underestimate the value of the relentless pressure that pacy players like Walker & Rose put on opponents. I think Trippier gives us more guile but we do need to have an option to overrun oppo defences. Part of the reason many teams sit back with men behind the ball (I think) is because they are aware of getting shredded down the flanks. We no longer have that option down the right with our current playing staff & I hope we don't become too lop sided in our approach play.

And don't take my word for it - Poch has decided that's the case, and he knows more about it than gibbsy - amazing as that sounds.
Gibbsy is pretty knowledgeable! : ostrich:

I'm not sure it's 3-5-2 either if I'm honest. But it's widely acknowledged that we often play 3 at the back with the fullbacks bombing on down the wings & the 3 CB's splitting. The system is more fluid than a simple 3-5-2, granted, but I wouldn't underestimate the value of the relentless pressure that pacy players like Walker & Rose put on opponents. I think Trippier gives us more guile but we do need to have an option to overrun oppo defences. Part of the reason many teams sit back with men behind the ball (I think) is because they are aware of getting shredded down the flanks. We no longer have that option down the right with our current playing staff & I hope we don't become too lop sided in our approach play.

Trippier isn't that much slower than Walker and he's a cleverer passer and a better crosser, of course we still have that option down the flank - why wouldn't we?

It's going to take a little getting used to not having him around. Wish him the best I. I trust the formation to not be dependent on one player, even one quite as fast as Walker.
Freuds, he's a City player now. He'll be doing his level best to beat us and spoil our weekends. Not for me I'm afraid. "Tottenham till I die"? Thick, Yorkshire mug - even City fans don't believe him, and there's no dimmer set of fans than them. Most of them are American teenagers who joined bluemoon in 2014 and spell defence 'defense' that's how you can tell.

Hope you're well, and that the Everest attempt goes smoothly. Stock up on Loperamide, that's the mistake I made when I attempted it, and I didn't get further than Lukla. Cheers F!

Last edited:
Trippier isn't that much slower than Walker and he's a cleverer passer and a better crosser, of course we still have that option down the flank - why wouldn't we?
I think he's quite a bit slower than Walker, but would be interested to see their relative 100m times- maybe it's not that much between the two-Again, can Trippier do this relentlessly from end to end for 90 minutes where necessary? Agreed that his passing ability is better- I think he was the top assist provider in the Burnley team the season before we signed him, & equal to Walker last year having played fewer games. So I suppose it's swings and roundabouts- what we maybe lose in pace, we gain in precision. And Walker is soooo Pre July 14th. So yeah, bollocks to Walker. He's made his choice to join the oil barons. The future is bright. The future is Trippier.

(Really hope he nails RB. He's a local lad to Bolton (well, Bury) & apparently a really decent bloke. He's waited for his chance patiently & hasn't let us down when he's played)

I'm not too bothered about this transfer to be honest. We got a world-record fee for a defender who wanted out, while Walker was probably only the 4th or even 5th best defender on our team. We have a very good replacement ready in Trippier, who at certain aspects of the game is actually a superior player than Walker. Certainly in terms of passing and crossing the ball.

Obviously selling him doesn't exactly make us stronger, certainly not in terms of depth, and it strenghtens one of our rivals, but overall it's a good deal for us. We'll miss his pace and physical strenght, but Walker wasn't the perfect right-back either. Defensively he's quite good apart from the occasional brainfart, but offensively he wasn't nearly as effective as he should've been.

The main problem now is depth, Trippier is a fine replacement, but we'll have to see if KWP can step up as the second-choice in that position, if he can't we might need to buy someone.

Back
Top Bottom