Let’s Face It - We’re Barely a Top 10 Team Now

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Where do you rate our First 11?

• Total voters
You really can’t claim “ years of under investment “ if you include Romero and Gollini as buys which they pretty much are it’s £350m over 3 seasons. That’s decent by anyone standards. Is it City Chelsea levels no, but it’s more than Liverpool. We’ve just spent on the whole terribly. Ndombele and Lo celso were key signings they basically were the replacements for Eriksen and Dembele and they’ve flopped. £30m on Sessegnon looking a waste of money. Bergwijn hardly a success, Reguilon gone backwards. We’ve just made an utter pigs ear of things off the back of a CL final and a fantastic position. But it’s nowhere near as simplistic as just money spent.

The most worrying aspect of it all though is I just cant see a way out for this squad.

Can anyone give me a credible explanation of how we are going to consistently win games by any competently achieving any of the following;
A) Press and not concede at the back?
B) Defend and play effectively on the break?
C) Play possession football and work the ball, break their lines and score?
D) Lump it up field and take our chances.
E) Any other recognised game plan?

We just look absolutely clueless at the moment. The passing has been horrendous. Literally champo level. No one believes in this team or this manager. I'm worried we are heading for a dark place. Because for all I don't believe they can do any of the above...... I am absolutely certain that they will not rise to a relegation battle, Not this lot.
We have a large group of players who would not be out of place at Southampton. I can't see a way forward at the moment that doesn't involve nuking this squad and buying competent footballers who can cover the ground.

can you name the 13 good players?
Calculate Figure It Out GIF by Originals

You have top 4, then about 7 others that are much of a muchness. I dont see us as any better than West Ham, Aston Villa, Everton and despite the hilarous first 3 games Woolwich. In fact their side has a better balance to it, but like us they have no squad and an average manager.

The Palace game was an embarrassment. Getting a draw away at Rennes is not a bad result.

We moved on a number of players over the summer whose performances have deteriorated over the years. More work to do But I thought our transfer window was good but lacked a backup striker.

If we had a decent backup striker I would be playing him as Kane is off his game and needs a kick up the backside.

So there are problems and not everything is rosy but a loss to Chelsea is not the end of the world, which is where this thread started.
Losing to Chelsea can happen. But we're not creating any chances. We've scored 3 goals in 5 games, 1 a pen and 1 a free kick which wasn't even intended as a shot on goal. We've conceded the most shots of any side in the division and created the least chances. It all looks a bit of a mess to me.

Mate we just lost to an oil-money fuelled Chelsea who are arguably the league's best and Europe's best team right now, and all of a sudden we're barely a top 10 team? Fuck me the reactionary posting on here is embarrassing.

Have a couple pints lads and try not to crumble, christ.

Last season we were 3 points off 10th place. And we had Bale getting double figures in the league, and Jose's solid run at the start of the season where everything was golden for a bit. We also had a committed Kane who got golden boot and top assister, and anyone who thinks he's producing that this season for us is kidding themselves.

So hardly melting down or unreasonable to suggest we might be worse off this season. And it's not based entirely on this result. The Palace performance was beyond abysmal, and yeah we won vs Watford and Wolves, but anyone who thinks those were even slightly good performances are kidding themselves.

Our only genuinely half-decent performance of the season was against City, where we basically played Mourinhoball. If a few mid table teams improve, we could absolutely find ourselves struggling to get top 10. I don't know why people think we're above this or why you have your heads in the sands when we've declined for multiple seasons now.

The last few seasons we have edged closer and closer towards not being a top half side. This isn't 'crumbling', it's just reality. The point tallies are showing this. If teams like Everton/Villa improve even marginally, they will be above us.

It's time for some of our fans to wake the hell up.

Nuno is a 7th place manager at best. He managed to get a tune out of his Wolves players for a couple of seasons. If he can’t get a tune out of this lot, 9-12th place. He’s out of his depth. And the squad really don’t look that bothered. Aside from the City game and the first half today, our points tally actually flatters us.

First half we were alright but Chelsea were poor. The moment they found something like their true level, well, we all saw what happened. 0-3 flattered us in the end. Anyone else but Werner and it finishes 5 or 6.

You have top 4, then about 7 others that are much of a muchness. I dont see us as any better than West Ham, Aston Villa, Everton and despite the hilarous first 3 games Woolwich. In fact their side has a better balance to it, but like us they have no squad and an average manager.
West Ham have a game plan and are a very physical and well drilled side, that alone should be enough for them to see us off.

We melt under the slightest bit of pressure

Mate we just lost to an oil-money fuelled Chelsea who are arguably the league's best and Europe's best team right now, and all of a sudden we're barely a top 10 team? Fuck me the reactionary posting on here is embarrassing.

Have a couple pints lads and try not to crumble, christ.

Let's face it. Our management will know the ability of our squad and what they are likely to achieve. Going into this season, I am sure they will fully understand that Top 4 will be very very hard to achieve with prime City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea.

How much would we really need to spend to break into that top 4? 200/300m and it would still be a lottery.

So, what is the strategy this season? I would say - Domestic cup / Europa League qualification are realistic targets.

Time will tell if not selling Kane and reinvesting was the right thing to do. My suspicion is that we would have sold him in the summer had our offers for other strikers come through.

Looking forward to the next few years; we will likely time our attack on the top 4 carefully, but it is realistic that for the next couple of seasons we won't see any champions league at Spurs.

City - Pep likely to take sabbatical
United - The PE teacher will be replaced at some point
Liverpool - How will they replace ageing Salah and VanDyke
Leicester - Can they score goals without Vardy?
A few seasons ago we were firmly in the top 4 & levy chose to not improve the squad for 500 days . Any chairman with ambition would have pushed on , he decided to stagnate , players grow older , their ability declines , we should have been building to turn good seasons into great seasons. His ambition lay in property development.

Those teams will get players in who will be first team players not potential.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom