Levy Out/ENIC new poll 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy/ENIC in or out?

• In

Votes: 72 23.2%
  • Out

Votes: 239 76.8%

• Total voters

We don't even make it to the top 10. Another wolloping by Villa. And even Everton beats us.

Spend on the team and not the grass.

I don't think ENIC and Levy will want to sell soon. It's a cash Cow that's value won't be decreasing soon. The world's interest in football has grown despite The Plandemic. Why would you sell something that has grown in a world that almost everything has shrunk?

And it's all Thanks to your support.

:contekiss:

We don't even make it to the top 10. Another wolloping by Villa. And even Everton beats us.

I don't think ENIC and Levy will want to sell soon. It's a cash Cow that's value won't be decreasing soon. The world's interest in football has grown despite The Plandemic. Why would you sell something that has grown in a world that almost everything has shrunk?

We were not spending due to the stadium for most of that time- we're up around the top 3 or 4 since it opened last time i checked (after summer window))

We were not spending due to the stadium for most of that time- we're up around the top 3 or 4 since it opened last time i checked (after summer window))
We jumped up the list because we suddenly became shit at selling players at their peak and bought a load of dead wood. "Big net spend" isn't automatically the positive some on here think it is.

We jumped up the list because we suddenly became shit at selling players at their peak and bought a load of dead wood. "Big net spend" isn't automatically the positive some on here think it is.

It shows that we can spend x amount without having to raise money though sales - it's exactly what people think it shows. If we had been 'good' at selling players we'd have had more money to play with.

Unless you think it's a coincidence that since the stadium started bringing in revenue and the final costs were known that we started spending again?

True but ENIC put out a statement (can’t find it now but it was early Poch period) back then saying that the stadium would have no impact on transfer budget. I wish they where more honest and just said it would, but the long term we will be in a better position to finance the team. Not doing so made fans think we would always be net spend zero team.

True but ENIC put out a statement (can’t find it now but it was early Poch period) back then saying that the stadium would have no impact on transfer budget. I wish they where more honest and just said it would, but the long term we will be in a better position to finance the team. Not doing so made fans think we would always be net spend zero team.

The way i look at that is that you're basically asking the club to tell the footballing world that they are strapped for cash for the foreseeable- i can think of one or two problems that might come from doing so.

It is what it is, the stadium had an affect on what we could spend, thats plain to see. Both before and now after we have spent essentially what money is available - i don't think anyone can really have an issue with that. The issue now is that we have had several seasons of spending money badly, which brings other problems. Hopefully Paratici can keep up the good work of the last couple of windows (+ Gil & Romero from the first)

The way i look at that you're basically asking the club to tell the footballing world that they are strapped for cash for the foreseeable- i can think of one or two problems that might come from doing so.

Issue is it dumped all the issues on Poch. I remember on this forum when not signing players, fans blaming Poch thinking he was happy with the squad then not giving any time for a rebuild. The perception of a club that never spends also sits on Levy/ENIC. It was also a flat out lie.

Issue is it dumped all the issues on Poch. I remember on this forum when not signing players, fans blaming Poch thinking he was happy with the squad then not giving any time for a rebuild. The perception of a club that never spends also sits on Levy/ENIC. It was also a flat out lie.

Well i mean there were fans that were understanding of the situation, it's on the ones that were pissed off that they couldn't see the reasoning as to why - like i say i think the clubs public position was justifiable and looking back at other clubs that built stadiums (Woolwich) they said publically the same thing and didn't spend either (for a much longer period than us iirc)

What's more important fans being told the 'truth' (and who would likely moan about it anyway) or the club not putting itself at a disadvantage for any future financial negotiations?

I remember that statement too

Must be around somewhere

He did definitely say that.

It was when the build was in its early stages iirc.
Either he was lying, or the stadium being a year late and massively over budget was the cause.
All on Levy whichever was the cause.

He did, but it was caveated (see bold below). From ESPN, October 2018:
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy said the increased cost of the club's new stadium will not affect transfer policy, in a meeting with the club's supporters trust, and that the project was unrelated to the lack of summer signings.

Spurs were targeting a September opening for their new home, which was expected to cost £850 million, and some reports suggested that those costs led to a summer window in which Tottenham made no new signings.

Since then there have been costly delays to the construction scheme, and the current target to begin play is Christmas. But Levy has insisted that transfers are budgeted separately and stated that the difficulty in selling players was the bigger issue during the close-season.

The chairman met with representatives of the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters' Trust (THST) in a board-to-board meeting. The minutes say: "[Levy] explained that the club had based the summer window on certain assumptions that some players might be leaving and certain targets would be available."

The minutes add that "[Mauricio Pochettino] didn't want to sign someone for the sake of it. He felt there were sufficient players in the squad, and that those coming back from injury would be like new signings.

"[Levy] said that, concerning budgets, the stadium won't directly impact on the transfer policy. There is a certain amount earmarked for transfers and the club can only spend what is available. [Levy] also said that transfers were complicated with several variables so it was not possible to work out in advance how much you could spend in a given window.

It shows that we can spend x amount without having to raise money though sales - it's exactly what people think it shows. If we had been 'good' at selling players we'd have had more money to play with.

Unless you think it's a coincidence that since the stadium started bringing in revenue and the final costs were known that we started spending again?

They coughed up a lot of money in the January after Redknapp arrived as we were close to the bottom 3.
When the need arises, the money appears.
Even ENIC can't act as though losing players for nothing/next to nothing can be fixed with a nil net spend.
The worry of course is they become even more cautious with the signings

Interesting that the in-proportion has been growing since our last defeat as we've won the last 2 without any goals conceded.

Will make a note to check back at the poll in the days after the NLD.

The thing is spending on a player doesn't mean your club loses money. The value (i.e. capital) is technically held in club like buying a machine for a company (yes you spend cash but the machine goes to your capital). Levy understands this more than anyone hence the hatred of selling for less than bought price; the accountants have to reflect it on the books.

The thing is spending on a player doesn't mean your club loses money. The value (i.e. capital) is technically held in club like buying a machine for a company (yes you spend cash but the machine goes to your capital). Levy understands this more than anyone hence the hatred of selling for less than bought price; the accountants have to reflect it on the books.
Players also depreciate in value like a machine. The length of contract being a big, but not the only factor.
That is also reflected in the books.

Back
Top Bottom