Liga Portugal 2023/2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

LisbonLion1906

Sporting Clube De Portugal Fan
primeira-liga-preview-2022-23.jpg

INTRODUCTION:

The league season kicked off last weekend with some really shocking results. Braga who invested heavily in their team lost their home opener, Benfica who are heavy favorites for the title and have the strongest squad in the league lost 3-2, and both Porto and Sporting narrowly won. (Highlights below)

Braga1-2 Famalicao

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eyEOzdTdZU

Boavista 3-2 Benfica

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fxpp9GNXnY

Moreirense 1-2 FC Porto

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvFRcF3Trcc

Sporting 3-2 Vizela

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqzpNaDy50c

TEAM BREAKDOWNS:

Sporting CP:
Sporting head into the new season on the back of a disappointing 2022/2023 season where they missed out on Champions league football. Sporting have lost only one key player (So far) in Manuel Ugarte (PSG) and young striker Youssef Chermiti who left for Everton. One of the key reasons for Sporting's inconsistent season last year came down to one thing...missed chances in front of goal as well as a lack of presence in the box. Well Sporting have gone out to rectify that this season, by paying a club record fee for striker Viktor Gyokeres who scored two cracking goals in his league debut for Sporting. Additionally Sporting purchases Morten Hjulmand from Lecce who looks to make his debut on Friday vs Casa Pia. Both Gyokeres and Hjulmand are our record signings Furthermore Sporting will potentially look to purchase a RWB as they have yet to properly replace Pedro Porro. Young academy player Geny Catamo has looked promising in that right wing back position in pre season and he could end up being an option if Sporting are unable to find someone in the transfer market. Overall Sporting have been able to keep many of their key/star players and unless any other big changes happen they look to have a good squad that is capable of competing this season.

SL Benfica:The defending champions will be looking to repeat this season and have made that very clear with some big summer acquisitions. Benfica are looking to have another solid Champions League campaign and have added real quality with names like Angel Di Maria, Orkun Kokcu, and Jurasek who was signed to replace Grimaldo who departed for Bayer. Benfica did however lose star striker Goncalo Ramos (Sold to PSG) but have replaced him with Arthur Cabral from Fiorentina. Additionally it looks as though Goncalo Guedes will be black at Benfica for another loan deal. On paper Benfica have the strongest squad in the league and are heavy favorited to win the league title once again.

FC Porto: Porto have lost Mateus Uribe (Free Transfer) however they have added Nico Gonzalez from FC Barcelona as well as Fran Navarro who was a breakout player for Gil Vicente last season. Porto are most likely going to lose either Mehdi Taremi our Diogo Costa as they desperately need to balance the books. Additionally Porto have made some good moves by signing midfielder Alan Varela from Boca Juniors and look close to signing veteran Portuguese legend Joao Moutinho on a one year deal,. On paper Porto have possibly the worst squad out of the big three however you can never count out Sergio Conceicao from making Lemons into Lemonade with limited resources. Young players Goncalo Borges and Romario Baro may get a chance to finally break into the first team.

SC Braga: Braga have qualified for the playoffs of the Champions league after comfortably eliminating Backa Topola in the previous round. They will now face Panathinaikos in the playoffs as they to make it into the Champions league for the third time in their history and first since the 2012/2013 season. Champions league qualification could be huge for the clubs growth and attempted approximation to the "Big Three". Braga are making a statement so far by making some marquee signings for the club with names such as Bruma, Jose Fonte, Rony Lopes, and Rodrigo Zalazar all joining the club. After nearly losing Ricardo Horta (Clubs all time scorer) to Benfica last season he now looks fully committed to Braga which is great news for the club. I fully expect Braga to make some additional signings especially if they can secure qualification until the group stages of the Champions league. The clubs ambition is clear as stated by both Jose Fonte and the head coach, Braga want to win the title.

STANDOUT/STAR PLAYERS/YOUNG TALENT: (This section will contain who are in my opinion the most sought after players in our league/standout players and or young talent to keep an eye on). All young prospects will have a star next to their names (21 and under).

Pedro Goncalves (Sporting)
Marcus Edwards (Sporting)
Viktor Gyokeres (Sporting)
Goncalo Inacio (Sporting)
Angel Di Maria (Benfica)
Goncalo Ramos (Benfica)
Orkun Kokcu (Benfica)
David Neres (Benfica)
Rafa (Benfica)
Mehdi Taremi (Porto)
Diogo Costa (Porto)
Otávio (Porto)
Pepe (Porto)
Ricardo Horta (SC Braga)
*Ousmane Diomande (Sporting)
* Afonso Moreira (Sporting)
*Joao Neves (Benfica)
*Antonio Silva (Benfica)
*Andreas Schjelderup (Benfica)
* Ivan Jaime (Famalicao)
* Oscar Aranda (Famalicao)

**Not sure if there are other Portuguese members on here but if so good luck to your teams this season. For any Spurs fans or fans of other clubs in general I hope you guys enjoy the thread and that we can make it an active one**

primeira-liga-preview-2022-23.jpg

INTRODUCTION:

The league season kicked off last weekend with some really shocking results. Braga who invested heavily in their team lost their home opener, Benfica who are heavy favorites for the title and have the strongest squad in the league lost 3-2, and both Porto and Sporting narrowly won. (Highlights below)

Braga1-2 Famalicao

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eyEOzdTdZU

Boavista 3-2 Benfica

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fxpp9GNXnY

Moreirense 1-2 FC Porto

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvFRcF3Trcc

Sporting 3-2 Vizela

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqzpNaDy50c

TEAM BREAKDOWNS:

Sporting CP:
Sporting head into the new season on the back of a disappointing 2022/2023 season where they missed out on Champions league football. Sporting have lost only one key player (So far) in Manuel Ugarte (PSG) and young striker Youssef Chermiti who left for Everton. One of the key reasons for Sporting's inconsistent season last year came down to one thing...missed chances in front of goal as well as a lack of presence in the box. Well Sporting have gone out to rectify that this season, by paying a club record fee for striker Viktor Gyokeres who scored two cracking goals in his league debut for Sporting. Additionally Sporting purchases Morten Hjulmand from Lecce who looks to make his debut on Friday vs Casa Pia. Both Gyokeres and Hjulmand are our record signings Furthermore Sporting will potentially look to purchase a RWB as they have yet to properly replace Pedro Porro. Young academy player Geny Catamo has looked promising in that right wing back position in pre season and he could end up being an option if Sporting are unable to find someone in the transfer market. Overall Sporting have been able to keep many of their key/star players and unless any other big changes happen they look to have a good squad that is capable of competing this season.

SL Benfica:The defending champions will be looking to repeat this season and have made that very clear with some big summer acquisitions. Benfica are looking to have another solid Champions League campaign and have added real quality with names like Angel Di Maria, Orkun Kokcu, and Jurasek who was signed to replace Grimaldo who departed for Bayer. Benfica did however lose star striker Goncalo Ramos (Sold to PSG) but have replaced him with Arthur Cabral from Fiorentina. Additionally it looks as though Goncalo Guedes will be black at Benfica for another loan deal. On paper Benfica have the strongest squad in the league and are heavy favorited to win the league title once again.

FC Porto: Porto have lost Mateus Uribe (Free Transfer) however they have added Nico Gonzalez from FC Barcelona as well as Fran Navarro who was a breakout player for Gil Vicente last season. Porto are most likely going to lose either Mehdi Taremi our Diogo Costa as they desperately need to balance the books. Additionally Porto have made some good moves by signing midfielder Alan Varela from Boca Juniors and look close to signing veteran Portuguese legend Joao Moutinho on a one year deal,. On paper Porto have possibly the worst squad out of the big three however you can never count out Sergio Conceicao from making Lemons into Lemonade with limited resources. Young players Goncalo Borges and Romario Baro may get a chance to finally break into the first team.

SC Braga: Braga have qualified for the playoffs of the Champions league after comfortably eliminating Backa Topola in the previous round. They will now face Panathinaikos in the playoffs as they to make it into the Champions league for the third time in their history and first since the 2012/2013 season. Champions league qualification could be huge for the clubs growth and attempted approximation to the "Big Three". Braga are making a statement so far by making some marquee signings for the club with names such as Bruma, Jose Fonte, Rony Lopes, and Rodrigo Zalazar all joining the club. After nearly losing Ricardo Horta (Clubs all time scorer) to Benfica last season he now looks fully committed to Braga which is great news for the club. I fully expect Braga to make some additional signings especially if they can secure qualification until the group stages of the Champions league. The clubs ambition is clear as stated by both Jose Fonte and the head coach, Braga want to win the title.

STANDOUT/STAR PLAYERS/YOUNG TALENT: (This section will contain who are in my opinion the most sought after players in our league/standout players and or young talent to keep an eye on). All young prospects will have a star next to their names (21 and under).

Pedro Goncalves (Sporting)
Marcus Edwards (Sporting)
Viktor Gyokeres (Sporting)
Goncalo Inacio (Sporting)
Angel Di Maria (Benfica)
Goncalo Ramos (Benfica)
Orkun Kokcu (Benfica)
David Neres (Benfica)
Rafa (Benfica)
Mehdi Taremi (Porto)
Diogo Costa (Porto)
Otávio (Porto)
Pepe (Porto)
Ricardo Horta (SC Braga)
*Ousmane Diomande (Sporting)
* Afonso Moreira (Sporting)
*Joao Neves (Benfica)
*Antonio Silva (Benfica)
*Andreas Schjelderup (Benfica)
* Ivan Jaime (Famalicao)
* Oscar Aranda (Famalicao)

**Not sure if there are other Portuguese members on here but if so good luck to your teams this season. For any Spurs fans or fans of other clubs in general I hope you guys enjoy the thread and that we can make it an active one**

No Rio Ave 😤😤😤

I used to live in Vila do Conde,so watched them many times and they’re my favourite Portuguese team (even though they are pretty shit)
Oh that's amazing !

I actually love Portuguese soccer history and have a big respect for historic clubs like Belenenses, Maritimo, Setubel, Leiria , boavista, academica, and Atletico de Portugal .

People don't actually know about this because the Portuguese FA is "funny" but there have actually been more then just two teams who have won the league besides the "big three"

Belenenses(4x)
Boavista (1x)
Maritimo (1x)
Olhanenses (1x)
Carcavelinhos (1x)

Does not seem like the forum has too much interest in the league but I will keep updating for thee few interested.

Braga with a tough 4-2 win away to Chaves where they could have easily lost the game. Chaves was very impressive and were unlucky to concede two late goals.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0wbVk4ubkc

Benfica as well with a hard fought 2-0 win at home to Estrela da Amadora. Took a 80th minute goal and a goal in extra time to seal the win.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX3Ges_42Yg

The smaller clubs seem to be giving the big clubs a very hard time in the opening games so far. I hope this continues as it will make the season far more interesting.

LisbonLion1906 LisbonLion1906

I have a random question that I've always wondered when watching your league: Why do the managers wear an armband, usually all the way down on the wrist with the club logo? I can't recall seeing it anywhere else and Google refuses to give me an answer.

LisbonLion1906 LisbonLion1906

I have a random question that I've always wondered when watching your league: Why do the managers wear an armband, usually all the way down on the wrist with the club logo? I can't recall seeing it anywhere else and Google refuses to give me an answer.
Their is not a specific reason to be honest haha

It is just something Portuguese coaches tend to do in the league without any real significance and not all of them do it.

Need Sporting to get Fresneda. Barcelona, Bayern, Woolwich, Chelsea, Dortmund all have shown interest before. Would be a huge signing. I'd give Valladolid Fatawu

Diomande, Fresneda, Inácio all in the defence would be incredible. All could be world class in the near future

Need Sporting to get Fresneda. Barcelona, Bayern, Woolwich, Chelsea, Dortmund all have shown interest before. Would be a huge signing. I'd give Valladolid Fatawu

Diomande, Fresneda, Inácio all in the defence would be incredible. All could be world class in the near future
Ya he looks like the natural replacement for Porro.

The kid looks very talented and it seems like the deal is possible. Would be another great signing after Gyokeres and Hjulmand.

Always loved Braga's stadium

Very unique
Apologies for the pedant alert but it's Friday night. Something cannot be 'very unique'. It's either unique (i.e. there's nothing else is like it) or it's not unique. You can have somethings that are 'almost unique', implying that there are at least 2 things which are almost unique but are the same.

Back
Top Bottom