Like-for-like or something different?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I CAN'T GET TO SLEEP. :mong:

So anyway, as a general rule there a PL squad should consist of two players for each position, plus a handful more (extra GK, extra forward, extra CB, utility midfielder perhaps).

Much has been made of our lack of squad depth at certain times this season. Sometimes this is bad luck, sometimes we've only got ourselves to blame (lack of anyone to play right midfield in Lennon's absence is the one really inexcusable one in my view).

Just wanted to see what people would look for in a back-up, though (apart from a bit of quality and willingness to wait his turn). When we (briefly) had :bentley: and :lennon: playing regularly in 09/10 we had a bit of variety. A pacey dribbler who could get to the byline and someone who could hold back and put in a half decent cross.

In individual games, when both are fit, it's good to have this kind of variety. If we're struggling to break down a team parking the bus we can revert to Plan B and inject a bit of speed into the game, or some quality in the delivery.

However this season the lack of like-for-like replacements for Adebayor, Lennon, Bale etc has sometimes forced us to change our game and lose fluency etc. So over the course of a season the like-for-like replacement seems better, so the understudy can slot seamlessly into the side.

No two players are identical, and any natural right midfielder would be an improvement, but what's the consensus here? How should this club be built?

Get yo' tactical hats on. :nare:

I hope who ever replaces Redknapp tells the players that he has frozen out that they can go, or consider it a fresh start.

I'm a big Bentley fan. Think he could still be a big player for us. Rotating Lennon and Bentley down the right would be ideal for me.

I also think that a new manager could give Gio a new lease of life.

Players like Corluka and Bassong too wouldn't have struggled as much when they did play if they were rotated properly. Not just called upon when they are clearly not match fit.

I've said before I think we would have been more consistent if instead of dropping King or Gallas in when one of them is fit enough to drag their bodies about the pitch, we had stuck with Kaboul and Bassong. Best friends off the pitch so there's a trust and understanding there.

Bassong would have gained confidence from knowing the manager had confidence in him. He'd have regained that sharpness and we'd have been more organised at the back.

He hasn't done well at Wolves, but who has. He's joined a losing team and been asked to make a difference. Impossible task.

Back
Top Bottom