Liverpool away - 11th Feb - 1730hrs kick off

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

More clueless nonsense. Name one top four side that was able to strengthen with an assured first team starter this past window? Folks like you seem to think there is some warehouse just off the A406 where you can go and easily pick up a top flight player off the shelf at any point during January.

This side is more than capable of beating Liverpool. Crying that we lost this game because the club didn't invest in a typically difficult transfer window is a monumental overreaction.
The other top sides have much stronger depth then Tottenham currently which is sort of his point. Not sure how that equates to clueless nonsense addressing the lack of quality depth is the JTW.

Why don't people like you be a bit patient? Is the massive new stadium, NFL and state of the art training ground not and attempt to lay the groundwork for making us a bigger global brand....which in turn would then make it easier to but the star names you're talking about?

Too many people want it all yesterday. They're not content with us making two steps forward and one step back, gradually over time getting better and better. I mean come on, compare the mid table farce we were twenty years ago to what we are now. Anyone with half a brain should at least be prepared to wait and see how the club approaches things once the stadium is done. But no...

25deb37264f024f7f52fbab75ff172a0.jpg
Don't you think it's a bit off asking Spurs fans to be patient. After all, we haven't won a league title for 56 years. Can you name just one club as big as Tottenham Hotspur that has gone that long without a league title ? I think we're a pretty patient bunch .

The other top sides have much stronger depth then Tottenham currently which is sort of his point. Not sure how that equates to clueless nonsense addressing the lack of quality depth is the JTW.
The other top sides are also a great deal wealthier than us. We are not on their level yet financially. It is harder for us to just go out in January and pick up a top money signing. That is why the club has spent the past few years laying the groundwork for moire income and a grater global presence. Or do you guys not grasp that?

On the train home and deflated!! BUT it's not over, we are still in it and we are still Spurs! Brush it off, learn from it and bring in the next one..... ultimately we would have taken where we are now at this point earlier in the season and you all know it. Gent and Fulham we are coming for you, watch out!!

Don't you think it's a bit off asking Spurs fans to be patient. After all, we haven't won a league title for 56 years. Can you name just one club as big as Tottenham Hotspur that has gone that long without a league title ? I think we're a pretty patient bunch .
Wow, this sense of entitlement right here is what I can't stand.

Tell this to fans of clubs like Nottingham Forest and Leeds. They were once big clubs as well. So was Everton, and they won the league NINE times prior to the Premier League era. Everton haven't won a major trophy in years either. But if a Toffee stomping his feet in front of you and demanded big money January signings, especially with a brand spanking new stadium on the way, you'd laugh him out of the room.

We have no right to anything. We have made significant progress. Part of becoming a solid top side is to become money rich and globally known. That is part and parcel of the modern game, and we are not fully there yet. If we keep going in this direction we will get there and you will get your trophies. The statistics for other clubs prove that.

Patience. We have come so far already.

Happy Clappy brigade: "You can't win every game!"

Our away form 2016-17:
Played 17
Won 5
Drawn 7
Lost 5

Lost to Liverpool (League cup), Monaco, Chelsea, United and now Liverpool again.

1) That record isn't acceptable for a top 6 club, never mind a top 4 and especially not for a title challenger.

Chelsea: 14 away games, won 9
City: 20 away games, won 12
Woolwich: 18 away games, won 11
Liverpool: 17 away games, won 9
United: 17 away games, won 9

Please don't say "We can't win every game, you expect too much". I don't expect to win every game, but no one can say that our performance today and our away record this year is a positive.

2) A major worry is that our away form carries on into Wembley when we move there next season. We struggled in the Champions League there. The only thing propping our season up at the moment is our incredible home form - if we take away next season things could look pretty glum.

3) This causes us to be knocked out of many competitions, most notably Europe.

We got to Dortmund and lose 3-0 - knocked out of EL
We go to Fiorentina and lose 2-0 - knocked out of EL

We're not going to qualify from the CL, get far in the EL and it makes it very difficult for us to win an FA or League cup if you're only winning 1 third of your away games.

I don't expect us to win every away game, but our away form is a huge worry right now. It's regressed from last season. And before you cunt me off, saying I talk shit, before the game Poch said, “We are looking at that,” Pochettino said. “[We struggle at] top-six clubs because we have had some draws and some losses. It’s true that this is a good opportunity to change that stat.”

After the game Poch said that we will "Need to fight for top 6". Top 6. This speaks volumes and clearly shows he's worried about the top 4. Luckily many of our games left are home games.

I'm not sure Davies did so badly really- they pressed hard and found mane out wide, in space and Davies with little support. I'm sure Rose would have done better, but I don't necessarily think he would have fully shut him down.

Playing a back 4 was always risky compared to when we are able to run a legit 5. We are used to playing with the extra man and seemingly failed to compensate.

I love Rose, but there is no way we shouldn't be able to win important games without him. We failed to find a solution to the problem before us this time is all.

Wow, this sense of entitlement right here is what I can't stand.

Tell this to fans of clubs like Nottingham Forest and Leeds. They were once big clubs as well. So was Everton, and they won the league NINE times prior to the Premier League era. Everton haven't won a major trophy in years either. .
Hang on. You misunderstood my post. In reply to your request for patience, I asked you to name a bigger club than Spurs that ain't won the title since 1961. The 3 you mention have all won the title in that time.

Just musing about the "stellar signings" argument.
We've had stellar signings over the years- in my time starting with 2 World Cup winners in 1978.
Since then we've had the likes of Gascoigne, Lineker, Klinsmann, Ginola, Modric, Berbatov, Bale etc. And we still haven't won a league title. I'm just resigning myself to the fact that getting the balance just right which leads to winning things is fucking hard.
And who should we have bought, in January, that would have guaranteed a win at Anfield today- a ground where we have won 8 times in our lifetime as a club? Today was a shit show. End of. It's ruined my weekend before Saturday night. But we won't play as badly as that again this season. And a highly paid superstar wouldn't have prevented Mane from tearing Davies a new one today. Having Rose & Verts available may have done though.

Too many draws have hurt our chances way more than losing away at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford & Anfield. Maybe a Bale would have turned some draws into wins? But maybe they wouldn't.

It's all speculation. But if someone had said in August, that we would get to the end of February only having lost 3 times in the league, how many people would have grabbed that with both hands?

I certainly would have done.

Ah the memories last Boro same side and to me a poor display paper the cracks and move on ,we are not at that level to switch to a four ,and to miss 3 players who would in the spine of the side,to narrow to tight and square pegs in round holes ,and sad to say for a Spurs team far to slow ,we need or one must step up and be able to take games and lead us ....................where are you .

Our away form 2016-17:
Played 17
Won 5
Drawn 7
Lost 5

Lost to Liverpool (League cup), Monaco, Chelsea, United and now Liverpool again.

1) That record isn't acceptable for a top 6 club, never mind a top 4 and especially not for a title challenger.

Please don't say "We can't win every game, you expect too much". I don't expect to win every game, but no one can say that our performance today and our away record this year is a positive.

2) A major worry is that our away form carries on into Wembley when we move there next season. We struggled in the Champions League there. The only thing propping our season up at the moment is our incredible home form - if we take away next season things could look pretty glum.

We're not going to qualify from the CL, get far in the EL and it makes it very difficult for us to win an FA or League cup if you're only winning 1 third of your away games.

I don't expect us to win every away game, but our away form is a huge worry right now. It's regressed from last season. And before you cunt me off, saying I talk shit, before the game Poch said, “We are looking at that,” Pochettino said. “[We struggle at] top-six clubs because we have had some draws and some losses. It’s true that this is a good opportunity to change that stat.”

After the game Poch said that we will "Need to fight for top 6". Top 6. This speaks volumes and clearly shows he's worried about the top 4. Luckily many of our games left are home games.

I agree with your point that our away form is subpar, but I don't think it's necessarily Poch's fault.
We've seriously had bad injury problems this season, and 100% of our ~60 millions worth of offensively-oriented signings fail to pan out so far.
The set up he put out seems to have been too offensive today. Maybe he gave stricter instructions to defend to Son and Eriksen and they simply failed to perform- we don't really know.

We do seem to struggle outside of WHL, it probably has to do with pitch size, and we should be worried about playing on a bigger pitch for all and not just some of our games next season.

Assuming Janssen/Sissoko form drought continues, and Lamela fails to return to form this season, we've got some serious work to do in the transfer market this summer.

Kane looks very tired to me these days. He needs a rest. I pray to God that England leaves him completely alone this summer.

Our away form 2016-17:
Played 17
Won 5
Drawn 7
Lost 5

Oh, what a surprise. Look who's here to pile on the negativity AGAIN. I could've pout money on this post appearing. I swear you only come here to troll and feed of their melters.

[Jayc1]"We're in second place, unacceptable dammit!!!!"[/Jayc1]

I can take at least some sort of argument for gloom. But cunts who come on here and start saying "we're assured to crash out of the EL, FA Cup and fail to qualify for the CL" while sitting in second place, are just trying to shitstir. No more, no less.

I'd say fuck off and support the chavs, but if you did that you'd be crying every week on their forums about how Roman's money wasn't good enough because they haven't won the quadruple every year.

The other top sides are also a great deal wealthier than us. We are not on their level yet financially. It is harder for us to just go out in January and pick up a top money signing. That is why the club has spent the past few years laying the groundwork for moire income and a grater global presence. Or do you guys not grasp that?
Hey. That's all well and good. just pointing out your original point is a little flawed since Spurs clearly have the least amount of quality depth vs the the top sides. Or do you not grasp that ?

Back
Top Bottom