Looking ahead to 2014/15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problems we have are deep, and regardless of the manager we get, I can't see us doing much better than this year. In fact, I see next year as year we start building again. In one sense it would be a nice to have a giant clear out, lose a fortune on the donkeys we bought last summer, and bring in 6 players. Of course, we all know how long it takes for a team to gel. Alternatively we can hope the manager changes the poor attitude many of our players have, and bring the best out in them. My guess is that Levy will go for the latter, and then sack the manager because he can't work miracles.

Eriksen needs three players in front of him to make those through-balls, not one, and I disagree on Naughton, he's a decent backup for Walker, but otherwise I agree.

I think we have the players to have a great season, we just need a man who can bring the best out of them.. We need a couple of tweaks here and there but on the whole it is a decent squad.
If the next appointment is the right one then I have hopes. If it's bland and like the last few then expect much of the same..

I think we have the players to have a great season, we just need a man who can bring the best out of them.. We need a couple of tweaks here and there but on the whole it is a decent squad.
If the next appointment is the right one then I have hopes. If it's bland and like the last few then expect much of the same..

Really mate, we don't. I believe we actually over performed, because I think we have the 7th best squad in the prem. If we get a top 4 spot with the squad we have, the new manger will deserve a knighthood.

Really mate, we don't. I believe we actually over performed, because I think we have the 7th best squad in the prem. If we get a top 4 spot with the squad we have, the new manger will deserve a knighthood.
not so long ago we i belive had third best squad in the prem. :levywhoa:

could truth everybody, dont lie to yourself, our squad is better than Liverpool, Scum and Everton.
Just think aobut it.
Pool has their stikers.
Everton has team spirit.
Scum has..more scum.

Okay here we go:

First thing's first; I don't think we have a crisis at the club. If we do have a crisis then I think it's this expectation for immediate results akin to what they're getting at Chelsea, Man City etc. Those clubs have all kinds of money injected into them on a regular basis by moneybag Chairmen and loads of Japanese, Korean etc. fans. We just don't have that at Spurs and, if I'm honest, I'd rather have what we've got than any other thing. However that comes with a few necessary things: patience, development, patience, and patience.

Every ill we have at this club is born out of impatience and an unwillingness to accept our lot. We are a great club: I love Spurs with all my heart and I always will (N.B. I was not born into Spurs, I'm Canadian and have lived in Canada all my life. I chose to support this club because I love what it represents and the football we have played over the years has been tremendous). We are not, however, a rich club who can afford to spend liberally on replacement players. We need to, as the article and others have suggested, bring in our promising young talent who are ready for first team experience to provide cover. Harry is an incredibly good example of that and I think it's paying off. If we can do that, I think we stand a better chance of keeping those players once they start playing well and becoming stars in their own rights -- call me naive, but I actually believe that a player who has come up through the youth ranks and is really ingrained in the club will stay there for love of the club.

So what do we need next season? A manager with a proven track record of working with and fostering youth, a Chairman who will trust his chosen manager to sew some seeds that can be harvested in a few years' time, reasonable expectations, a Centre Back to come into the first team, to slim down the midfield, and a full back. Okay, some of those are easier said than done but I think we largely have the capacity to do that. If the talk of bringing De Boer in is credible and he is really an actual option, then that's positive (I don't know why everyone seems so negative about Frank, he's a good manager who is proven to do wonders with young players). Pochettini is decent as well. I really would love nothing more than to see Daniel get to hire someone he trusts and then, well, trust him. As for reasonable expectations: consolidate our position in the league table, make the FA Cup final, and make it to a Europa League semi-final. I think that's incredibly reasonable and would be a good result for us. The next year: finish the league in top 5, win the FA Cup, and make the Europa League final. Then it's finish top 6 in the league, win the FA Cup and win the Europa League -- then we're in the Champions' League and we get top-level European football.

We don't need to get rid of Jan and Hugo -- we just need a manager who can show them the plan exists, is reasonable and will lead to us getting to the top level of European Club football and soon.

As for players, I say we need a left back to come into the first team. Danny has shown some real glimpses of brilliance but he's not a regular first team starter yet. Luke Shaw is great but he's in the exact same boat as Danny except with, probably, more potential. Someone like Baines would be a good signing. We don't need to get rid of Jan but Younes should probably go. He's out of a contract at year's end and could bring in a decent fee. Not his best year this year and it might be best for both parties to see him out. Fryers coming in to provide cover is good, Chiriches is not ready for first team football either. Dawson is too slow to be a constant presence as well. Something has got to give there. Vertonghen stays in the first team, but we need to bring in a decent first team CB. Caulker would be great -- I hate that we sold him in the first place. We can also sell Gylfi, as much as I'm loathed to do so, and a few others in the midfield who are extraneous to requirements. We have way too many midfielders and not nearly enough defenders. A clear squad imbalance that can be corrected this summer.

I hope that wasn't way too long.

Back
Top Bottom