Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm going to make it into a GIF, but it'll take time!
Would be cool! Was looking if one already existed on the internet when i saw this one, first time ive seen it.
Like .... Kyle ... how on.. ?
ENG0-1GERa.gif

As much as people continue to take the piss out of Arry, the truth is, whoever comes in still has to steal his crown as our best manager since the mid 80's.

So Van Gaal can come in, but we should remember that Harry took one full season to get 4th (which he got twice in three years) and a 1/4 run in the CL.

Im not going to sit here and listen to people saying the next manager (if he's supposedly world class or a top bollocks tactical genius) needs 15 years to gel.....

Cos "Arry the Clown" certainly did'nt...

As much as people continue to take the piss out of Arry, the truth is, whoever comes in still has to steal his crown as our best manager since the mid 80's.

So Van Gaal can come in, but we should remember that Harry took one full season to get 4th (which he got twice in three years) and a 1/4 run in the CL.

Im not going to sit here and listen to people saying the next manager (if he's supposedly world class or a top bollocks tactical genius) needs 15 years to gel.....

Cos "Arry the Clown" certainly did'nt...
Yer, but that's Harry's forte, short-term improvement, long-term instability and inconsistency. It's the reason he's never got anywhere elite level. You judge each manager on their own merits, not on whether they sort a team out immediately. Harry is known for short-term mid-level achievement. LvG known as a medium-term consistent elite level achiever. Judge them on what they are, not all with a universal yardstick. That's not how it works.

Yer, but that's Harry's forte, short-term improvement, long-term instability and inconsistency. It's the reason he's never got anywhere elite level. You judge each manager on their own merits, not on whether they sort a team out immediately. Harry is known for short-term mid-level achievement. LvG known as a medium-term consistent elite level achiever. Judge them on what they are, not all with a universal yardstick. That's not how it works.

I'll judge Harry on what he did for THFC....not calculate his average league place finishes over 30yrs.

He offered short term improvement that went beyond all expectations.

As I said, 1/4 final at the Bernabau in his second full season.

If the next mamager is lauded as world class, while Redknapp is considered as unstable and inconsistent, and nowhere near elite, then why shouldnt I expect the far better manager to achieve more in the same time?

Why should a world class manager need 2 years to build a squad, when a "crap" one got 4th with what he had, and by signing the odd "over the hill clogger"...

I'll judge Harry on what he did for THFC....not calculate his average league place finishes over 30yrs.

He offered short term improvement that went beyond all expectations.

As I said, 1/4 final at the Bernabau in his second full season.

If the next mamager is lauded as world class, while Redknapp is considered as unstable and inconsistent, and nowhere near elite, then why shouldnt I expect the far better manager to achieve more in the same time?

Why should a world class manager need 2 years to build a squad, when a "crap" one got 4th with what he had, and by signing the odd "over the hill clogger"...
Because there are too many variables to do that. If LvG comes in he will have a weaker squad than Harry had.

It also took Harry more than a season to achieve 4th, so if we're being pedantic, we could argue that LvG wouldn't have to achieve 4th next year. I know exactly what Harry achieved, hard to forget.

I'm not sure if you are suggesting Harry is on LvG's level, because that's absurd.

Why should a world class manager need 2 years to build a squad? Careful, Sammy, comments like that makes you sound like those entitled Spurs fans that want everything on a plate immediately. LvG is known for his structured revamping which achieves excellent results between season 2-5. That's why you judge him differently, because his history suggest that and if he were to sign, that would be why.

Because there are too many variables to do that. If LvG comes in he will have a weaker squad than Harry had.

LOL....Bale and Modric were utter shit before Redknapp came.

The squad Harry inherited:

Gomes
Hutton
Bale
Zokora
Bentley
Hudd
Lennon
Jenas
Pav
Bent
Gilberto
Palacios
Modric
Keane
Gunter
Dos Santos
Campbell
Taraabt
Dawson
Chimbonda
Corluka
Cudicini
OHara
Defoe
King
Alnwick
BAE
Bostock
Woodgate
Parrot
Mason
Obika

Stronger than now? Are you fucking having a laugh?

Edit....he brought back Defoe, Keane and Chimbonda, and signed Palacios. What he inherited was even weaker.

Last edited:
Would be cool! Was looking if one already existed on the internet when i saw this one, first time ive seen it.
Like .... Kyle ... how on.. ?
ENG0-1GERa.gif

That one was in a thread on here I'm sure, somewhere?

Anyway... Spent far too much time on these, but hey ho:

Here's a GIF of his karate kick
dll6.gif

The spent far far far too much time turning it into a Mortal Kombat move

yi4.gif

And then thought I'd add an extra scene in

rzl.gif

Why should a world class manager need 2 years to build a squad? Careful, Sammy, comments like that makes you sound like those entitled Spurs fans that want everything on a plate immediately.

Nice edit of the point I was making.....

And how so?

Im the one backing Sherwood....:paulinhofacepalm:

What Im saying is, that why do we give the supposed better manager's 2-5 years, but turn on the "crap" ones within 2 months....who's the entitled one's here?

The ones craving LvG, Id say....

LOL....Bale and Modric were utter shit before Redknapp came.

The squad Harry inherited:

Gomes
Hutton
Bale
Zokora
Bentley
Hudd
Lennon
Jenas
Pav
Bent
Gilberto
Palacios
Modric
Keane
Gunter
Dos Santos
Campbell
Taraabt
Dawson
Chimbonda
Corluka
Cudicini
OHara
Defoe
King
Alnwick
BAE
Bostock
Woodgate
Parrot
Mason
Obika

Stronger than now? Are you fucking having a laugh?
I meant in his first full season, as that's the season you're applauding Redknapp for.

Where Bale and Modric were excellent, Lennon found his feet and King played a full season. The names may not have been up there with this squad. But I'd sacrifice our squad now for one with a firing Bale, Modric, Lennon and King. It was a squad that knew each other well.

I attribute the success of that squad to Harry, no doubt. But after 18 months with this squad, I'd expect and suspect LvG to have done better.

I'd also argue that Harry didn't have a strong Manchester City to deal with in his first full season, because even you can't deny we wouldn't had got 4th if they were strong.

Nice edit of the point I was making.....

And how so?

Im the one backing Sherwood....:paulinhofacepalm:

What Im saying is, that why do we give the supposed better manager's 2-5 years, but turn on the "crap" ones within 2 months....who's the entitled one's here?

''supposed'' - there's no supposed about it. LvG is far, far, far superior to Tim Sherwood. I haven't turned on anyone. I simply saying that LvG is a better option for us and putting forward my reasons why.

How so? Because you just said you'd expect immediate results from LvG and would be dismissing him if he didn't achieve 4th in the same timeframe as Harry. Like I said, things aren't universal in football.

Not sure what's entitled about wanting a manager of LvG's ilk at your club.

Where Bale and Modric were excellent, Lennon found his feet and King played a full season. The names may not have been up there with this squad. But I'd sacrifice our squad now for one with a firing Bale, Modric, Lennon and King. It was a squad that knew each other well.

Are you saying you would swap the two squads happily? Or just hand pick the Bale and Modric of today, and King and wangle them into this squad, as if that somehow proves your point.

Oh funny how they just found their feet....nothing to do with the manager then?

I'd also argue that Harry didn't have a strong Manchester City to deal with in his first full season, because even you can't deny we wouldn't had got 4th if they were strong.

Ok then, lets say we never really played CL football, because City are better now....fucking hell

I, for one, wouldn't give LvG anywhere close to 5 years. If he hasn't shown a positive transformation in the side within the second year with the squad we have at this moment, he's not the solution for us.

We have the luxury of having a very highly-talented squad that many managers would love to inherit and has not lived up anywhere to their potential. I never bought the AVB argument that he failed because he didn't get EXACTLY the players he wanted. A quality coach is able to get the maximum out of the players he has at his disposal. Yes, it can take time to put the pieces together in the right way and tweak your players and formations slightly, but there are others that do far more with far less than us.

Right or wrong, LvG has the experience and pedigree to deserve a longer grace period. That's just the reality of the world. He has demonstrated the ability to be successful every place he has gone while a younger, less experienced player doesn't have a comparable resume. The assumption (again, right or wrong) is that LvG would figure it all out sooner or later and be possibly more successful than someone else when he does.

You dont think its a form of entitlement to want a "world class" manager.....what do you want from him, if not trophies?
Ambition is different to entitlement. One of the best managers of all time is ''open'' to a move to Spurs in the Summer. I'd like that to happen. I don't feel we have a right to have him though. If I did I'd be pissing and moaning about him not being appointed instead of Tim seeing as I'd feel we were entitled to him.

Ambition is different to entitlement. One of the best managers of all time is ''open'' to a move to Spurs in the Summer. I'd like that to happen. I don't feel we have a right to have him though. If I did I'd be pissing and moaning about him not being appointed instead of Tim seeing as I'd feel we were entitled to him.

And Id "like" him to show more improvement, in a shorter space of time, than a manager who is widely regarded as light years below him, did.

I will not cry and stamp my feet if he doesnt. I would just "like" it to happen.

Back
Top Bottom