Lucas Moura

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wonder - under Poch the players were exhausted, having to "dominate" and when not in possession needing to enforce a high press.
Under Mourinho, you get to sit back - you have to concentrate mentally, but surely it is significantly less punishing physically.
Perhaps that means Lucas can be "released" at the right time, full of beans and ready to show exactly what he can do.

He was pretty terrible under Mourinho up until two games ago. I think he just has had a decent run of form more than figuring anything out. Even in these good games you see a lot of the old Moura starting to creep in and cause trouble.

Not exactly unearthed to be fair Mrs. P., PSG signed him from Brazil for more than we paid for him. Comparatively he was definately good value though.

I don't ever recall him working that hard when he was on the pitch under Pochettino tbh.

Vs Barca at Wembley.... He's been a battler ever since.

I don't remember every questioning his work ethic, his smarts and abilities for sure.

In fact I think at times he may try to do too much which causes him problems. When he has stayed out wide and not tried to come into the middle playing the ball too much and just getting in the way he has been much more effective.

He's also getting space to run into as opposed to try and weave in and out of deeply packed defenses..... It was painful watching him alongside Kane in Poch's diamond and also why I was so frustrated with the way we played against Sheff & B'muff.

If he's staying out wide more, I wouldn't expect more goals.

He does look good out wide. Putting in a tackle and his passing has improved a fair bit. It used to make me cringe watching him dribble into three defenders with his head down in the middle.

You can almost pinpoint to the minute when his legs give way. He really does give it his all. Can you imagine being a defender tasked to keep an eye on him and as soon as he starts getting leggy, Bergy tags in.

:mourhandlaugh:

If he's staying out wide more, I wouldn't expect more goals.
So who do you expect goals from? You cannot just rely on 2 players Kane and Son. Dele is far from certain to regain his position and if he does who does he replace, Moura, lo Celso, Winks or Sissoko. The others are not scoring and in my view if Moura is not scoring then either Bergwijn or Dele should replace him. The last few games have been better but Previous matches our goal attempts were dreadfully low. We used to expect goals from Kane, Son, Dele and Eriksen. We need Moura to score more goals if we are to be successful.

So who do you expect goals from? You cannot just rely on 2 players Kane and Son. Dele is far from certain to regain his position and if he does who does he replace, Moura, lo Celso, Winks or Sissoko. The others are not scoring and in my view if Moura is not scoring then either Bergwijn or Dele should replace him. The last few games have been better but Previous matches our goal attempts were dreadfully low. We used to expect goals from Kane, Son, Dele and Eriksen. We need Moura to score more goals if we are to be successful.

I agree we need goals from more than just Harry & Son in the longer term.... I just don't think it's accurate to look at Lucas the individual rather than how he's being deployed. Logically if you take a player further away from goal he'll score less...... The team is evolving. The incoming players that many anticipate will put further differing onus on different positions. I'm keen to find out what we'll see next season....

Thriving in his current role. Much more effective player when he picks up the ball deep in the field as he's undoubtedly a remarkably skilled dribbler, he's just very ineffective when the game requires deft work against a packed defense. Up for keeping him around for use in games when we set up to counter attack, he seems to be well drilled on when to press and tackle. Very committed and loves the club. Might be recency bias because I've been immensely frustrated with him in the past, but I'd certainly keep Lucas over Lamela.

O'Hara having a nice chat with Lucas on TS right now...

Ambitions: He wants to win a trophy here as he has with every other club he's been at.
Amazon doc: Took a while to get used to the cameras but it's been a lot of fun..... Plenty there for the fans to enjoy.

Keep 'em peeled for the whole thing being uploaded....

Lucas Moura is not my favourite player, but I have huge respect for the professional he is. And he's in very good form: 10 tackles against Woolwich and direct involvements in all three goals against Leicester. Let's hope he continues to do well next season.

Last edited:
Can't fault his workrate and effort. A good team man and definitely someone you want in the squad. Just needs a bit more end product to get to the next level. He should be aiming for double figures in either goals or assists. That's really become a standard for wide forwards nowadays.

I like the guy, he's got a fantastic engine and Mourinho obviously loves him for that - but 4 goals & 4 assists in the PL is a really poor return, especially when you consider Dele, who has been getting absolute pelters (rightly so) still managed 8 goals & 4 assists with nearly 400 minutes less game time.

He has to be aiming to hit the level Son did last season but I worry he's just too mercurial.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom