Man City Vs Tottenham - Sat 17th August 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

City are one of those rare teams that don’t have many weaknesses. But Zinchenko could be one - a midfielder playing at left back.

Stones is another potential liability. Often tries to do much and can be pressured into a mistake.

Not to mention Rodri who doesn’t look like he has adapted to the pace of the Prem League yet.

Come to think of it, they’re quite sh!t.

City are one of those rare teams that don’t have many weaknesses. But Zinchenko could be one - a midfielder playing at left back.

Stones is another potential liability. Often tries to do much and can be pressured into a mistake.

Not to mention Rodri who doesn’t look like he has adapted to the pace of the Prem League yet.

Come to think of it, they’re quite sh!t.
Stones looks good when he has time and space to ping the ball about, much less so when pressed and closed down, an accident waiting to happen at times.
I think Zinchenko is much better going forward than actually defending.

The timing of this match isn’t optimal but could prove to be vital!

Imagine if we win + Liverpool struggle without A. Becker in goal due to injury. Saturday will be huge!

A fact often forgotten in Football is that we have up to 14 players in a game and it runs for 90 minutes. It doesn't matter if we miss 100 chances or play crap for 45 minutes, - what matters is the score after 90 minutes.

We had 31 shots against villa; with only 7 on target. City had 14 with 9 on target. So, we are very active in the final 3rd but often come up short when teams park the bus. City of course will not park the bus so we will have less chances on goal but; those chances will ultimately be better as there will be less bodies back defending.

If Moura, Kane can take the chances that come, we can absolutely win this game. I expect we will create 3 or 4 BIG chances and it will be down to the quality of our forwards that will decide the end results.

Not here to make people feel better. 😂. Just telling it as I see it. We have problems, and from what i saw Saturday they haven’t been addressed. Same sideways , slow football.
I totally agree with your 'sideways' comment. As for 'slow', there were slow times, but there were also some amazingly impressive quick, one-touch routines. If we can reduce the 'sideways' stuff and mix it up a bit more with penetrating runs and long balls we'll be sorted.

And congratulations on sorting out your full stops. We can move on to commas now. :)

Son and dele missing this one is helping pep sleep at night, what he doesn’t realise is Moura loves playing in Manchester! 1-2 Lamela and moura Kane with a third but Var calls it back...... :kaneshh:

[FORMATION=4321,Lloris,KWP,Toby,Jan,Rose,Sissoko,Winks,NDombele,Moura,Lamela,Kane][/FORMATION]

1) play Narrow and cover the half spaces...
2) invite City to press and use Sissoko or NDombele as a focal point for counter attacks
3) Lamela to track back to defend
4) Moura to keep running behind the last defender
5) Kane to be as clinical as possible.

Spurs win 3-2 FT

Last edited:
I imagine they will have bernado silva & sterling hugging the touch lines like they did in the 2nd leg of the CL last season.

We know the diamond is suicide against that sort of width, but what is the actual alternative? Maybe a 4231? Lamela, Eriksen & Lucas as the 3, Winks & Ndombele as the 2?

but then we lose Sissoko who is pivotal against possession based sides for his energy and brutal close downs.

I just don't know, all I know is i'm shitting it but have a funny feeling we will win. I believe we can win this title, and I think we will all start to believe after saturday.

Lamela and Sissoko were depressing to watch on Saturday but we need them in this game, they have to start.
Against teams like Villa, who were sitting in and waiting to be broken down, Lamela is pretty useless. But against City, were we need to press them and win the ball back sharpish, Lamela is a good fit.

Sissoko was being used in the wrong position Saturday. As soon as Eriksen came on and he was switched back into the middle he looked more comfortable. He is so good at breaking up play and moving with the ball upfield.

Both will be needed Saturday, but if one is dropped I'd imagine it'll be Lamela for Eriksen.

[FORMATION=4321,Lloris,KWP,Toby,Jan,Rose,Sissoko,Winks,NDombele,Moura,Lamela,Kane][/FORMATION]

1) play Narrow and cover the half spaces...
2) invite City to press and use Sissoko or NDombele as a focal point for counter attacks
3) Lamela to track back to defend
4) Moura to keep running behind the last defender
5) Kane to be as clinical as possible.

Spurs win 3-2 FT
Agree this is the most likely line-up.
Can't see us playing Eriksen and leaving Lo Celso on the bench as it would be backing the guy who says he wants to leave over his replacement. Either play both, or neither.

Back
Top Bottom