Man United away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Wait a minute. None of those matches were during the transfer window though so that can't be the reason we didn't get Champions League football. All I've heard the past few weeks is that we miss out on Champions League football because we start slow in the league and don't get our business done early.

2014/2015: Opening 3 games, Won 2, lost 1 (To Liverpool, who had finished second the previous year)
2013/2014: Opening 3 games, Won 2, lost 1 (To Woolwich, in a North London Derby)

There could have been a point made to 2012/2013, which was three years ago but you could argue it was pretty hard to replace van der Vaart, Modric and Ledley King. We did start the season awfully slow though and it ended up resembling our play come the end of the season. The loss at home to Fulham gets all the blame though, criminal.

Read the post mate. No mention of first three games, or Transfer Windows. We perennially lose those games even though we had better teams than those clubs. By the way I despise the Money League with a passion for what it has done to our game, and the F.A. Cup.

Read the post mate. No mention of first three games, or Transfer Windows. We perennially lose those games even though we had better teams than those clubs. By the way I despise the Money League with a passion for what it has done to our game, and the F.A. Cup.
I'm aware it wasn't mentioned, but throughout the board you can see people saying how we miss out on Champions League football by a few points and this is usually due to the fact we don't get our transfers done early and make slow starts to the league.

No pass is necessary. But Pochettino wants us to pass it at tempo. That's why Mason and Bentaleb became his first choice.

He could play Dembele who takes all day interviewing each player about his objectives before he passes it on. Capoue and Paulinho could have passed it sideways all day. That's not what Pochettino wanted.

Bentaleb will give the ball away on a bad day because of the way is encouraged to play under Pochettino. Dier passed it straight to a United player on the edge of our box after 2 minutes. No goal from it. No one remembers it.
Yes true. It's easy to see things in isolation isn't it? I do agree though and believe it will improve. Still think we need a bit more pace/urgency/creativity but as someone said, maybe Alli is the answer? I certainly think he deserves a go.

Yes true. It's easy to see things in isolation isn't it? I do agree though and believe it will improve. Still think we need a bit more pace/urgency/creativity but as someone said, maybe Alli is the answer? I certainly think he deserves a go.

The thing is we've never had problems with Bentaleb in the middle before. His passing is usually more reliable even when trying to play at tempo. Perhaps with Dier alongside him Bentaleb is under instructions to be the one to make something happen, to try the riskier passes. Some people werent happy with how often Mason give the ball away last season. I always thought he was under instruction to try something. Maybe Bentaleb is just playing the Mason role now.

just a quick reply about the Manure game.
As an Aussie its was great to watch a game at a decent time and not some mental time like 1.30am.
Some very promising signs from the team with Toby (cant spell that name) and Eriksen and Harry looking promising.
I'm not sure about Bentaleb twice gave away cheap possession in midfield. At times he looks a little lost. The jury is still out for me on Mason looks all hustle and bustle but does he have the quality for the EPL?
Being such a young team we will need to be patient during the season.
COYS

Fuck everything else, how good did Poch look yesterday, a trillion dollars!!

n_rcd_espanyol_mauricio_pochettino-10216870.jpeg

Mauricio-Pochettino-Inginkan-Tambahan-Pemain-640x360.jpg

The thing is we've never had problems with Bentaleb in the middle before. His passing is usually more reliable even when trying to play at tempo. Perhaps with Dier alongside him Bentaleb is under instructions to be the one to make something happen, to try the riskier passes. Some people werent happy with how often Mason give the ball away last season. I always thought he was under instruction to try something. Maybe Bentaleb is just playing the Mason role now.

Riskier passes to create chances and space maybe, not passing blindly to the opposition 6-7yds away in your own half.

Mistakes happen, ok let's not all call Bentaleb out on it for a one off but let's not pretend it is a one-off, he did this a few times last year and it cost us goals/games.

Given it a couple of days. I doubt very much that what I think hasn't been mirrored on here by someone. The performance was a little too reminiscent of last year at OT, which means we predictably lost shape and confidence after going a self inflicted goal behind.

There is a long way to go before this is a team who can confidently fall a goal behind against a team like United or any of the sides above us, and deal with it by carrying on regardless.

My one main concern is that we start responding that way against weaker opposition and we'll be in trouble. Last season that was a strength of ours (Villa, Hull, Swansea etc) going behind but finding a way to win. Saturday we could, and possibly should have won that match but I didn't think that was ever going to happen once we went behind.

This is a coaching issue as much as a players one.

Back
Top Bottom