Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

PICTURED
BUST-ED

Football fans are saying the same thing after statue unveiled in tribute to Argentina legend Diego Maradona​

FOOTBALL fans are all saying the same thing after a new statue of Diego Maradona was unveiled in Spain.

The dodgy design was revealed ahead of the COTIF final in the Spanish town of L'Alcudia.

Football officials posed with an attempt at Diego Maradona's likeness
The artwork didn't quite match the real thing
The artwork didn't quite match the real thingCredit: AP
With Argentina's Under-20s in action, the country's FA president Claudio Tapia was in town to unveil the new Maradona tribute.

Tapia beamed as he posed for photos next to the work, designed by Spanish artist Rafa Ferri.

But fans have been quick to slate the artwork online, likening it from Sylvester Stallone to Bruce Lee.

One social media user wrote: "Have respect for Diego!"

While a second joked: "Oops Diego melted."

A third tweeted: "Hahahaha what is that."

And another questioned: "Nobody saw that lack of respect before presenting it?"

The statue drew comparisons with other botched works from down the years.

Madeira Airport infamously unveiled an awful statue of Cristiano Ronaldo back in 2017.

While a previous attempt at Maradona in Kolkata drew comparisons with Susan Boyle.

Manchester City erected a statue of Sergio Aguero outside Etihad Stadium at the end of the last season - only for Toni Kroos to mockingly point out that it looks more like him.

Cristiano Ronaldo poses next to Madeira Airport's infamous statue
Cristiano Ronaldo poses next to Madeira Airport's infamous statueCredit: Getty Images - Getty
An atrocious effort of Maradona was unveiled in Kolkata in 2017
An atrocious effort of Maradona was unveiled in Kolkata in 2017Credit: Getty - Contributor
Sergio Aguero's Man City statue was compared with Toni Kroos
Sergio Aguero's Man City statue was compared with Toni KroosCredit: PA

PICTURED
BUST-ED

Football fans are saying the same thing after statue unveiled in tribute to Argentina legend Diego Maradona

FOOTBALL fans are all saying the same thing after a new statue of Diego Maradona was unveiled in Spain.

The dodgy design was revealed ahead of the COTIF final in the Spanish town of L'Alcudia.

Football officials posed with an attempt at Diego Maradona's likeness's likeness
The artwork didn't quite match the real thing't quite match the real thing
The artwork didn't quite match the real thingCredit: AP
With Argentina's Under-20s in action, the country's FA president Claudio Tapia was in town to unveil the new Maradona tribute.

Tapia beamed as he posed for photos next to the work, designed by Spanish artist Rafa Ferri.

But fans have been quick to slate the artwork online, likening it from Sylvester Stallone to Bruce Lee.

One social media user wrote: "Have respect for Diego!"

While a second joked: "Oops Diego melted."

A third tweeted: "Hahahaha what is that."

And another questioned: "Nobody saw that lack of respect before presenting it?"

The statue drew comparisons with other botched works from down the years.

Madeira Airport infamously unveiled an awful statue of Cristiano Ronaldo back in 2017.

While a previous attempt at Maradona in Kolkata drew comparisons with Susan Boyle.

Manchester City erected a statue of Sergio Aguero outside Etihad Stadium at the end of the last season - only for Toni Kroos to mockingly point out that it looks more like him.
Good grief, that is awful.

One thing I found strange in relation to Maradona recently was a picture of the Hand of God incident signed by Peter Shilton. It was in one of those signed memorabilia shops and I found it hard to believe that Shilton would sign anything in relation to the HoG since he was the player Maradona directly cheated and has been one of the most vocal in his condemnation of the incident.

I've read Maradona's autobiography and he refers to Shilton as a "thermos head" so not a lot of mutual respect there.

So the ref that officiated the 'hand of god' game snaffled the match ball after the game and is now set to bag at least £3m when it goes to auction........

Cunt was responsible for one of the most heinous decisions of all time; yet now becomes a millionaire off the back of it.....?

Man, life fucking stinks sometimes.........:avbnaa:

hand of god never really bothered me, mainly because the England players were trying to break Maradona's legs every time he got the ball.

I’ve never been much of a fan. I recall “Like a Prayer” being ok, and then the Sex Book stage was alright, but since then… Nothing. Don’t know what all the fuss is about 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I’ve never been much of a fan. I recall “Like a Prayer” being ok, and then the Sex Book stage was alright, but since then… Nothing. Don’t know what all the fuss is about 🤷🏻‍♂️
Lived down the road in Dulwich when she married Guy Ritchie.

Couldn't even get a game for Dulwich Hamlets...

Well overrated...

hand of god never really bothered me, mainly because the England players were trying to break Maradona's legs every time he got the ball.
It's never mentioned how he dribbled through half the team before his 1st goal.

If they could have actually tackled him he would never have got to use the hand of god for that goal.

If they could have actually tackled him he would never have got to use the hand of god for that goal.
It's mentioned everywhere but in England. Fun fact: In other countries, when everyone thinks of Maradona, they think of Napoli and that goal. The "hand of god" doesn't even get discussed anywhere.

And no one ever looks to Shilton and says, You're a goalkeeper who stands at 6ft 1, who allowed yourself to be outjumped by a player who was 5ft 4!!!!!!!
_127070415_gettyimages-.jpg

One of the worst pieces of goalkeeping you will ever see.

I re-watched this game in its entirety a few months/1 year or so ago when it was screened on the tele. Oh my Gosh! We were utterly shit to a man, and genuinely looked and played like a pub team. I don't get the dialogue that surrounds it, we were thoroughly outplayed by a superior team. Hodge ahahahahaaha

I read that the ball in the 'Hand of God' incident is being auctioned by the ref and is expected to get £3million for it. I hope he is going to give it to charity. The idea that he is going to profit by his gross incompetence makes me feel sick.

I read that the ball in the 'Hand of God' incident is being auctioned by the ref and is expected to get £3million for it. I hope he is going to give it to charity. The idea that he is going to profit by his gross incompetence makes me feel sick.

Not a chance sadly.

Steve Hodge got minted too.

I agree, the fact that he allowed Englands leg breaking challenges on Maradona everytime he got the ball was pretty disgusting.

And I guess the allowing the handball was pretty bad too.

Rewatching it, there were 5 england players surrounding him who didnt even bother to mark his run and were literally just staring at the ball.

Then to top it off, Steve Hodge literally flicked the ball to him where he was all by himself in the box and is able to out jump Shilton.

Rewatching it, there were 5 england players surrounding him who didnt even bother to mark his run and were literally just staring at the ball.

Then to top it off, Steve Hodge literally flicked the ball to him where he was all by himself in the box and is able to out jump Shilton.
Half people involved in this passage of play are dead amazed people still arguing it...

Back
Top Bottom