Martin Jol's Blue and White Army

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kenny really does just look like he stinks of piss, b.o., old special brew and cheap cigarettes attempted to be covered up by an old car air freshener. Madonna, on the other hand, strikes me as Hugo Boss character, adding copious amounts to mix in with the sweet, sweet scent of cocaine.

Martin Jol clearly wears some form of gangster cologne and possibly has a whiff of a Martini (ironic on a few levels) with maybe the odd bit of gin and tonic and a hint of lemon (coupled with distant cigar).

_57572872_jol.jpg

I don't think enough people take into consideration the blatantly incorrect smell of a person based on looks before calling for them as a manager. It is why Fergie is the best manager around, everyone knows you can inhale the mix of spearmint and peppermint miles away. Wenger used to have the youthful fragrance of under-age sex slaves, however it has just resulted in what is now commonly referred to as a "Fritzl stench" for the past 7 years.

For me Redknapp is a toss up between a full English fry and a random faint smell of dodgy oil, methylated spirits and petrol for no clear apparent reason that only he will know. Most people like a little bit of those smells but too much exposure can get sickening.

Mourinho is probably the best smelling man around though. He is incapable of human sweat and actually emits most of the list of fragrances you get in those toilets at fancy clubs where a Chupa-Chup and a paper towel can cost anything between 20p and a tenner depending on the conversation you strike and the amount of change you have with the toilet attendant who for some strange reason is your new best mate.

David Moyes constantly looks like he has diarrhea, not sure on Brendan Rodgers yet, maybe gonorrhea...

Brendan+Rodgers-cropped

I'd like our next one to be a mixture of freshly cut grass and industrial sized lube.

I'll echo Flav's sentiments on how enjoyable it was under Jol. He was the first manager I knew as a Spurs fan so I'll always love the big guy. I also see what he's doing at Fulham and it isn't too far different than what he did at Spurs. Have an amazing result one week and then get tonked by Swansea the next. Inconsistent, maybe, but it would be interesting to see what he'd do with THIS squad.

The fact is, he LOVED Spurs. LOVED. Loved everything about the club. I miss that in our current Spurs manager.

Still not sure if I'd have him over Redknapp though. Jol couldn't beat an upper tier side to save his ass except for the Chelsea game in Nov 06.

I love Jol - of course, the reasons are obvious - but I always doubted his air of authority. Can only speak on a subjective level but if I imagine Jol being my boss, it's more difficult to imagine him commanding the same respect in his staff, for some reason. If he had a squad like our current one at his disposal I'd be a little bit dubious at first to see how the relationship would develop between him and the players.

Always Loved the last home game of the season when he used to talk on the pitch after.

In "short"...

Post the summer 2004 clearout Jol (plus Arnesen and Comolli) did a lot of the groundwork for where we are now. Gave us some pride back and some good league performances and cup runs. He was probably right to be moved on when he did, although it should have been done in the summer if the board had made their minds up (which they obviously had, chasing Ramos 2 games into a season) even if I feel he deserved that season as his last chance to deliver CL football and/or a trophy.

Jol was excused some "failures" as we had been rubbish for years and he came across as a no nonsense kind of bloke who loved the club and promoted a very good image for THFC. I've never had much time for Redknapp the man but would I take Jol back over him? Not for a second. Redknapp, for all his flaws (and he does have some) has a massively superior managerial record at THFC and that's the bottom line, regardless of which team/squad was better...success breeds success and builds a better team and I don't think the 2010 Harry CL team was that much better than say 2006/7 which was probably Jol's best team and one that never got near to top 4 despite the final league table (won 8 of last 12 to finish 5th on the last day - queue rousing Jol speech on the pitch etc).

I'd rather be having this kind of debate/conversation than going back and being reminded of Jol's short-comings and that things aren't always as great as you remembered them. Note Keegan & Dalglish as the modern examples.

Back
Top Bottom