Match Ratings - Swansea (H)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Giving Adebayor a 7 ? For what exactly ?

Yeah he was solid holding the ball up, but he is getting 100K to create chances and bags goals.........I can't think of one example vs Swansea where Ade created either.

6 for me on another dismal performance from Ade

Adebayor did a decent job of drifting to the left when Dempsey came inside, giving us an option, and linking play.

Also, as I was impressed by Defoe chasing back at left back last week, I was impressed by Adebayor doing the same this week.

I'll bite on this one :klinsmann:

My rating is based on the fact, that he still struggles with the positional part of his defending, which against passing sides is a whole lot of defending. The upside is, that Kyle is a monster when defending against wingers one-on-one. Even Routledge, who's grown into a clever little winger, resorted to giving Kyle a few stepovers and then cutting in looking for a 3-point pass most game and Davies kept a wise distance too.
That's great and a symptom of him most games now.

However his backpost defending is still awful, their RB cross for Routledge in the first half was decent but Kyle was all over the place, doesn't know his zone, didn't know where his winger was, didn't attack the cross either. Shambolic. And that too, unfortunately, is a symptom.

Btw 6 is not a bad rating. It's above average. But no way he was anywhere near fellow defenders Gallas let alone Jan, and he certainly wasn't as good ad Dembélé. So we'll have to disagree on the '2nd best player bit'. :sneaky:

Fair enough, and you explained your reasons well. For me he stopped a lot of their attacks stone dead with some great tackling, and worked hard up and down the line, and offered a fair bit in attack. One of his better performances this season

Lloris - 9​
Walker - 7​
Gallas - 6​
Vertonghen - 7​
Naughton - 4​
Lennon - 7​
Sandro - 7​
Dembele - 10​
Dempsey - 4​
Defoe - 1 (if he can't score one of those chances what's the fucking point in him playing?)​
Adebayor - 7​
Townsend - 6​
Siggy - 7​

Oh god
I fucking despair.

I wouldn't know where to start with your evaluation. I hope the needle fell out of your arm whilst you were typing.

Mmmm
Defoe 5
The same Defoe that ran his bollocks off for the entire time he was on the pitch, was a constant noightmare to their defence, but for a couple of great stops and blocks could have had a hattrick, and the guy who set up several opportunities for colleagues and carried the Spurs attack all on his own.

and you gave him 5/10 and want to see him benched

WHO FUCKING FOR EINSTEIN?

Jesus, did you start watching football at the start of december?

I'll bite on this one too.

Defoe was in no way a nightmare to their defence. Chico (who is a good seasoned pro but also slow and rash) and Ashley Williams (who's just distinctly average) had him under complete control in all aspects of play all the bloody game. Defoes 1:1 chance even came from an individual error, not from brilliant Spurs play or just his own hard work.

He ran around a lot, yes. Yet he failed completely to provide an outlet for our midfielders, constantly choosing the wrong runs and constantly running from one marking zone into the other - in fact very often he'd be pissed up waving his arms and frowning when not getting the pass, despite being static, heavily marked and often in the shadow of another Swansea player effectively blocking the pass out. He doesn't have a slightest clue how to find space, at times, unfortunately.
Despite all this running "his bollocks off" his pressing game is really, really poor, and he lacks perception and reading of play to know when to press (e.g. when an opponent needs to look away to recieve a pass or when making a poor first touch) and when to drop back to shut down space (e.g. when a safe playmaker like Britton already has controlled the ball and looks to pick a vertical pass out).

I never played pro, semi pro or just top of my class, but this is really bread and butter regarding pressing football. It worries me deeply, when a player is praised for doing something this basic so very, very wrong.

Btw, Defoe has quality in other regards. Also I do like him and the way he comes across outside the pitch. But all his career he has had a problem with his overal play and specific parts of his strikers play, and I don't feel it's unfair to him to be honest about it.

amazing that he had all those chances then - how did that happen - did adebayor give him a piggy back into the box?

Most were pot-shots, but being in the box for rebounds is something I do think Defoe is very good at. He also was very good at looking for the 3-4 yards in front of the keeper every time we had a finish on target.

However, Defoe shoots a lot. Even when he should not have. That is what you call decisionmaking, and unfortunately that is where he lacks a bit, yet.

not really as Adebayor was decidedly flat for as lot of the game

He was very flat by his own standards, but he was also crucial for our play in breaking down the opposition, because he is so very good at finding space even in tight spaces and holding up the ball. And he is proactive, creating plays and chances, not waiting for them to fall to him.

We need that. People talk about our problems breaking down defending teams. Adebayor is a key to that, so much more after we sold VdV and Modric.

the game that was conducted with a 9 man defensive box for the whole game, so the players had to operate in minimal space

Correct. Which a modern striker has to deal with, no discussion.

where were runners supposed to go - and which of the 9 did they press?

They are supposed to shift and turn every other monent to constantly find a yard or two for the wall pass, then shift and move again. As opposed to standing between Chico and Williams, in the shadow of Britton, waving your arms when passes elude one. Sorry if harsh, but this point needs to be made.

I guess you would like to see schoolboy football where everyone presses the man with the ball?

No. That's just a straw man.

hey, if it maskes you feel happy to jump on the Defoe bandwagon with all the other sheep - fill your boots.

... and that's another straw man.

I DO NOT think he's the perfect striker (I think he should have converted at least one of his opportunities) but neither do I think he's the one dimensional player, or as poor as people like you would suggest

Neither do I. He is not a poor player. He is just not performing well right now and not responding well to the demands of the system, the formation changes and the way defences play him.

The problem is, that despite having true strikers quality of getting a goal out of nowhere, he is burdened by not contributing much to the team apart from said goals. He is difficult to put in a team, because it has to built around him, and even if you do the goal count is erratic and defences can still shut him down.

and don't give me the crap about strikers need to be so much more in the modern game, its tedious.

If every other footballer needs to adapt, why not strikers generally - and why not Defoe specifically ?

You accuse me of jumping on a bandwagon. I could easily accuse you of being on a different one, but that doesn't get us very far, does it ?

Regards

I haven't made my mind up about you at all, you are irrelevant to the discussion. I have made up my mind about the comments that you offered up for debate, and I disagree with some of them - and am fed up with seeing the erroneous rubbish that gets puked up and you chose to regurgitate.

The comments that you so histrionically are flouncing off to avoid are merely responses to your posts, you are responsible for what you write so you (like me) have to deal with the fact that what you say is not gospel (just because it came from you) and neither is it guaranteed to be right.

You and I have differing opinions but I'm not proclaiming you to be a lesser supporter, or less of a man because I believe you to be wrong. I'm simply standing up for my opinions.
Jermaine Defoe is in the team for one reason and one reason only: he knows how to score. Sure he works hard but there comes a point when thats not good enough. When he is not scoring, he is harming the team. Someone pointed out earlier that he gave the ball away 9 times off of his first touch. That is not good enough. He does nothing to break down defenses, and shoots when he should pass.

You said earlier that he set up many of our attacks and lead the attack on his own, this simply not true. Adebayor was right with him supporting him and the way Dempsey cut in he was basically playing behind him during attacks. He did nothing to set up attacks, that was all done by Ade, Dempsey, Dembele, Lennon, and Siggy at the end. He is one dimensional and quite frankley, deserved a 5/10. Wasted opportunities, losing possession, bad decision making, all that he did well was that he ran around a lot, which isnt good enough.

Dont get me wrong, I like Jermaine Defoe. He is one of the best finishers in the league and gives us a huge boost because of that. But when he is not scoring goals, saying that he worked hard is not good enough because he does not bring enough else to the table.

I love Defoe to bits and am amazed at just how well he has played this season, he has done things I never credited him as able to do.

That said, all things being equal, for this team Adebayor is the only and obvious choice.

I expect this to be the way things pan out eventually.

Think I've overrated Naughton simply 'cos I've been comparing him to his other awful performances. He was competent defensively, but offered nothing else.

So, adding the scores so far - three won 'Man of the Match'

:dembele: :sandro: :llorishuh:

And we'd like to see lots of goals against Stoke on Saturday from

:defoe2: and :adegrin:

And it could be a Merry Christmas all round with a proper THIRD in the table,
instead of THIRD equal on points with Chavski.

PS Best of luck to Reading at home tonight

Here's a stat, based upon multiple opinions throughout the season i.e. match ratings from forum members.

Excluding this game, Defoe has played 21 games this season. A third of his games have been sub-5.5 performances, only equalled by Dempsey, in all the games he has not scored he's never had an average rating higher than the team average and in a couple of games where he has scored he has still had an average rating lower than the team average.

Throughout the season he has one of the highest standard deviations than any other player, i.e. he has no consistency in his ratings, they vary from anything in the 4s to anything in the 8s. His average rating for the season is also below the average of all games played.

He is also our top scorer and with 4 man of the match performances, joint highest with Vertonghen, he also has the highest rating of the season in a single match with 8.70 when he got his hattrick against Maribor.

What this tells me is exactly what has already been said in this thread and others in that he contributes goals and when he doesn't he has not much else to fall back on.

TommyHarmer TommyHarmer any chance of getting your ratings in games as well or is that something that does not interest you for the purposes of these threads?

that makes 2 of us then
I think there's only one dipshit in this conversation, and he ain't sat at my keyboard

I take no personal offence to your point of view - I'm just appalled at the (lack of) quality of it.

But its a free world, if you want to parade your ignorance in public, knock yourself out.

Ignorance ?

O where O where am I being ignorance w/ my POV ??

Again, this is a Thread for Match Ratings on Players vs Swansea

Defoe had a poor game.........

Couldn't hold up the ball at all

And missed 2 cupcakes where he was alone on goal.............

Old Man River............isn't it time for your afternoon nap ?

Got ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ?

Some good talk about Defoe going on here so far. I forget who posted the stats but Defoe has roughly the same numbers he did all of last year in terms of goals and % of chances made in a similar amount of minutes. It may seem he is playing better but he is not. He is also wildly inconsistent here are his whoscored.com match ratings to date: http://www.whoscored.com/Players/2837/Fixtures/Jermain-Defoe

They have "Through-balls" listed as one of his strengths and "Passing" as one of his weaknesses

Lloris - 8 - Huge punch at the end

Walker - 6 - Incredible shot and good going forward but still unsettled at the back
Gallas - 6 - Decent but could help out Walker better
Vertonghen - 8 - Great goal
Naughton - 7 - Good for a right-footer at left-back

Lennon - 6.5 - Made good runs but little end product
Sandro - 7 - Works well with Dembele
Dembele - 8 - Works well with Sandro
Dempsey - 6 - Didn't do much wrong

Defoe - 6.5 - Made good runs and had some good shots but his finishing was off
Adebayor - 6 - Great hold up play but stayed on the left wing and didn't finish the game

Townsend - 8 - Did a really good job coming on with the game level
Siggy - 6.5 - He is trying and improving; just needs more time

Lloris - 7.5 - 0 shots on target the whole game but kept concentration

Walker - 7.5 - thought he had a good game both going forward and defending, assist was his
Gallas - 7 - other than being outpaced by Michu for a second and knocking behind for a corner at the end I thought he did what was asked of him, good offside play today
Vertonghen - 8 - let's keep him at centre back
Naughton - 7 - needs a left foot for his style of play

Lennon - 6.5 - did well defensively but want him to run at defenders like Townsend did
Sandro - 7.5 - midfield destroyer
Dembele - 8 - so comfortable on the ball
Dempsey - 6 - not a great contribution today

Defoe - 6.5 - first time in a while I thought he was involved in play and he goes and forgets his shooting boots!
Adebayor - 6 - seems to be struggling, not sure what is going on there

Subs:

Sigurdsson - 7 - lovely through ball to Defoe and was involved in play a lot when he came on
Townsend - 7 - won free kick which led to goal by running at defenders

Back
Top Bottom