Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I knew Villa's game plan before the match when Gerrard said about them "fighting" and he would get rid of any of his players who weren't up for the fight.

It's Gerrard's love of Woolwich and the fact he , and other managers know, refs turn a blind eye to dangerous fouls on Tottenham. Spurs have lost an in-form Doc for the rest of the season because of thuggery from Villa who wre allowed many red card fouls throughout the game.

Spurs rose above it but I am worried the PL refs will do anything to stop Tottenham getting 4th (or even 3rd) and their latest tactic is to allow red card fouls on Tottenham players.

I hope Harry Kane finishes the season uninjured.

Found the whole match here

Yellow. Nasty yellow, but a yellow. Studs weren't aimed at the player, wasn't "out of control" because he meant to sweep his leg.
At our best under Poch, we did that every game. Even under Mourinho we took turns to do it to Traore.

To be honest, it feels you have to respect Villa, they threw it all at us, it wasn’t intentionally nasty, but that one was too much.

Think if they didn’t try to batter us, we’d have found those second half spaces, first half.

Sorry mate I think it was exactly intentionally nasty to rattle us and injure players and it worked but justice prevailed in the end thankfully

Unlucky for Doherty but we are okay.

He was finding confidence and some form.

Zero doubt in my mind he will seek to rectify the challenge next season but he looks sensible enough to wait for the game to be won.

Watch this space.

Can't find it anywhere but basically the score was 4-0 at the time with about 10mins left and Kane was running through the middle of the pitch with the ball and Ashley Young just completely took him out in the ankle with absolute no intent of playing the ball.

People will say it was a tactical foul but for me when the score is 4-0 with limited time left that's basically just someone smashing another player because they know they'll get away with it.

That should be a red card imo.
Said it at the time, the EFC guy got a red for very similar v NUFC last month, and rightly so

Lifting a planted leg isn't possible? How the fuck do you walk on a daily basis? I'm not claiming Doherty should have done anything different.

As droll as you think this sounds; you evidently don't understand the concept of the 'planted' leg.... It implies the other leg is already off the ground; ergo the planted leg is the standing leg at that moment!

I'm comparing the results of the Son challenge and Cash challenge, not the actual challenge itself.

You're increasingly all over the place in terms of what you are or aren't arguing!

You just told me I was wrong to consider the result of the challenge on MD (even though I wasn't) so why are you now doing that very thing yourself?

Forget the injury; the injury merely vindicates the rulebook.... The rule is about prevention; not punishment.

Son didn't go in trying to break a leg just like Cash didn't go in trying to tear Doherty's knee up. I don't blame Gomes or Doherty for getting injured. The results are both unfortunate and the challenges themselves are not red card worthy.

Go read the rules and then apply them to YOUR statement that Cash's challenge was "out of control".

Last edited:
Yes, but is not compable to Young's, the foul he made could easily injured and his foot was way to high to be a tactical foul. He aimed to injure Kane.
My first post on this topic mentions that the Young and Mings challenges were much more disgusting and red card worthy than Cash's.

The comparison is that both were breaking up the attack sliding in from behind. That's all.

Can't find it anywhere but basically the score was 4-0 at the time with about 10mins left and Kane was running through the middle of the pitch with the ball and Ashley Young just completely took him out in the ankle with absolute no intent of playing the ball.

People will say it was a tactical foul but for me when the score is 4-0 with limited time left that's basically just someone smashing another player because they know they'll get away with it.

That should be a red card imo.
Any dangerous tactical foul with zero intent to play the ball should be red. Obviously shirt pulls and pull backs should not unless it’s terrible like the Italy one against Saka at the euro. (He grabbed the back collar of sakas shirt which is banned even in the caveman sport that is the nfl)

I think people are confused with the tactical foul rule and think all tactical fouls are just yellows. But these fouls can also be violent and dangerous. Why should a slight tug on the shirt be penalized the same as a wild swing through the legs?

Tactical fouls are fucking stupid as it is and ruin plenty of scoring chances. If you can’t intentionally foul the player in a safe way, you are too out of position to commit the challenge. Teams breaking the rules shouldn’t gain an advantage and get away with injuring opponents at the same time.

Last edited:
To be honest, it feels you have to respect Villa, they threw it all at us, it wasn’t intentionally nasty, but that one was too much.

Think if they didn’t try to batter us, we’d have found those second half spaces, first half.
I can respect a hard tackle intended to indimate and assert dominance, but there's a line you can't cross.

Villa crossed the line.

As droll as you think this sounds; you evidently don't understand the concept of the 'planted' leg.... It implies the other leg is already off the ground; ergo the planted leg is the standing leg at that moment!

You're increasingly all over the place in terms of what you are or aren't arguing!

You just told me I was wrong to consider the result of the challenge on MD (even though I wasn't) so why are you now doing that very thing yourself?

Forget the injury; the inujury merely vindicates the rulebook.... The rule is about prevention; not punishment.

Go read the rules and then apply them to YOUR statement that Cash's challenge was "out of control".
I am not all over the place at all. I have said from the very beginning that folks in here are using the result of the challenge to claim that it was a red card challenge, just like Everton fans and a lot of neutrals were claiming that Son was a piece of shit for breaking Gomes' leg. That's literally the end of the comparison.

Whether something is a yellow, red or nothing at all doesn't come down to whether the player was injured or not. I still maintain that the Mings challenge on Deki, specifically, was MUCH more egregious and red card worthy yet Deki walked it off and bossed the rest of the match.

I am not all over the place at all. I have said from the very beginning that folks in here are using the result of the challenge to claim that it was a red card challenge, just like Everton fans and a lot of neutrals were claiming that Son was a piece of shit for breaking Gomes' leg. That's literally the end of the comparison.

Whether something is a yellow, red or nothing at all doesn't come down to whether the player was injured or not. I still maintain that the Mings challenge on Deki, specifically, was MUCH more egregious and red card worthy yet Deki walked it off and bossed the rest of the match.

:sigh:

"Out of control" = red card.

Walk away...... Or hop on your planted foot if you prefer.

Any dangerous tactical foul with zero intent to play the ball should be red. Obviously shirt pulls and pull backs should not unless it’s terrible like the Italy one against Saka at the euro. (He grabbed the back collar of sakas shirt which is banned even in the caveman sport that is the nfl)

I think people are confused with the tactical foul rule and think all tactical fouls are just yellows. But these fouls can also be violent and dangerous. Why should a slight tug on the shirt be penalized the same as a wild swing through the legs?

Tactical fouls are fucking stupid as it is and ruin plenty of scoring chances. If you can’t intentionally foul the player in a safe way, you are too out of position to commit the challenge. Teams breaking the rules shouldn’t gain an advantage and get away with injuring opponents at the same time.
I think any shirt pull should be a yellow. It will immediately eradicate it from the game in general.

If it's out if control it's a red.. theres no leeway...
Whataboutary....is just shifting the narrative... that cash tackle was out of control, it endangered the players safety and it wasnt even the worse tackle...Youngs was a stonewall red. Graham Scott is the weakest ref in the premier league

How did Kane do his ankle, second time?

Revisionism, or selective memory…

Not defending it, wasn’t a red IMO, as it was ball, then man.

Abstract, so not saying your view is wrong, just loved the old tackling game…

Back
Top Bottom