Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You can also have been on the books of a club in the English pyramid since you were 11 years old and still be non-HG according to the lovely folks at UEFA :dembelefingers:
Really the stupidest system. Meant to discourage reliance on foreign players, all it accomplishes is taking academy opportunities away from native kids so you can get the foreigners in early.

The PSG -Bayern final just had two teams with more starters on each side from the other country than their own, or something close to that.

These teams are coming from France and Germany, arguably the two biggest countries for producing talent or at least top 5 I would think, and neither team came close to having even half of their starters coming from their home country.

I think the spirit of the rule makes sense, but like many things with UEFA the actual practice is ridiculous. I'm not sure how having a guy on your roster with zero chance of playing simply to meet a quota helps anyone.

I say again to avoid any confusion I LIKE Doherty but anyone expecting a massive upgrade on Aurier is going to be bitterly disappointed.

This.

I see him as a pretty like for like replacement for Aurier TBH. People seem to be expecting a Kyle Walker/David Ginola hybrid. When what i suspect what were getting is someone marginally better in attack and with the same (or even worse if you can imagine that!!) defensive abilities. We'll have to see how he settles in. I hope I'm eating a large slice of humble pie at the end of the season.

This.

I see him as a pretty like for like replacement for Aurier TBH. People seem to be expecting a Kyle Walker/David Ginola hybrid. When what i suspect what were getting is someone marginally better in attack and with the same (or even worse if you can imagine that!!) defensive abilities. We'll have to see how he settles in. I hope I'm eating a large slice of humble pie at the end of the season.

Even if your assessment is correct, I think the worse in defense argument is complete crap not a chance he is worse than Aurier unless you don't include Aurier's laziness and indifference in defense part of his defensive game, we upgrade because we also get rid of Aurier's brainfarts and multiple times in the game when he tunes out.

This is not a dig at Poch but Jose seem to have identified areas of the squad that need strengthening and is going out there and getting the best he can for the budget, and before people moan it’s levy’s fault last season with Poch we had a huge transfer kitty last season, I know it’s early days but I’m excited to see us next season with these solid premier league proven additions!
I also think that players may be attracted to working under a manager who has won it all, and is looking to build a new team in the newest, most envied stadium in Europe. Poch may not have been able to sell his ideas/plans because he’d won nothing. A nearly man.
I think once a players head is turned, the writing is on the wall.
Maybe Maureen can get the players in with less money shelled out because he sells the club better to the player? Just some Sunday afternoon post pub rambling.

I also think that players may be attracted to working under a manager who has won it all, and is looking to build a new team in the newest, most envied stadium in Europe. Poch may not have been able to sell his ideas/plans because he’d won nothing. A nearly man.
Maybe Maureen can get the players in with less money shelled out because he sells the club better to the player? Just some Sunday afternoon post pub rambling.
It's certainly a factor to take into account.

As much as some want to label Jose as a "dinosaur" he is still one of the biggest names in the industry. Players want to play for him.

Who is he selling the club to?

It isn't like Hart, PEH and Doherty were heavily sought after players with tons of offers from other clubs. I don't think there is much indication that they were going to other clubs but then had their heads turned when Jose came calling with his reputation and the new stadium.

It isn't like Hart, PEH and Doherty were heavily sought after players with tons of offers from other clubs. I don't think there is much indication that they were going to other clubs but then had their heads turned when Jose came calling with his reputation and the new stadium.
United (still a huge draw) wanted Doherty last year.
Former Southampton stalwart already in.
Hart I will give you is a strange one. But he’s won it all too, & comes in as a number 3 having realised his career was on skid row and feels he has something to prove to himself and the doubters.
I’m happy to keep my glass half full. We can all judge it much better in May 2021.

Glad to see us making more needed signings. Tbh I don't know his game too well to know if he's the quality we need but he's another player that should be able to get cracking straight away and I looking forward to seeing what he's like for us. Good luck to the lad.

Do you get any enjoyment out of following spurs? I’m unsure as you seem so negative about everything to do with the club so I’m curious

Do you get any enjoyment out of following spurs? I’m unsure as you seem so negative about everything to do with the club so I’m curious

Yes i do.

What is negative about asking who Jose convinced to come here to play for him?

Just because I don't think that he convinced any of those guys to come here instead of going elsewhere isn't really a negative or positive statement or opinion.

Edit: I think Doherty replacing Aurier is a positive so maybe ironic that this question is posted in this thread.

The player wanted to join Spurs, didn´t you get it? Doherty played for Wolves for a decade. The club was left without a choice.

It´s our second very good signing based on players wanting to move to our club and then facilitating the moves.
I'm not making any complaint with the signing, I think he's a good player and I think it's a sound singing for us.

But he's absolutely not an upgrade on Aurier which is the point being made (I don't have a massive issue with Aurier, he's not top draw but neither is Doherty). Aurier is by quite some distance the better of the two defensively and by a small margin, Doherty is better in attacking phases. Whilst the comparisons are valid in that they both play WB (rather than FB), which is helpful whilst comparing them, how they are used in their teams is different with Doherty regularly coming off his wing to run in behind defences, whereas we opt to have Aurier stay out wide, because of this their stats will no doubt be skewed somewhat.

If we keep Aurier then our business is great. If we sell Aurier and don't by another RB/WB then I don't think our business is all that astute given Doherty's age and Tanganaga, Foyth, Toby, Sanchez, Sissoko, Gedson aren't very good options to provide cover/competition (we could go 3ATB and push Davies/Sess up as WB on the left I suppose.) But Jose has been trying out Gedson as RB in our preseason friendlies so I have major concerns that if we sell Aurier we are in exactly in the same position as we have been with Aurier, stuck with a RWB who's OK but not top draw.

I'm not making any complaint with the signing, I think he's a good player and I think it's a sound singing for us.

But he's absolutely not an upgrade on Aurier which is the point being made (I don't have a massive issue with Aurier, he's not top draw but neither is Doherty). Aurier is by quite some distance the better of the two defensively and by a small margin, Doherty is better in attacking phases. Whilst the comparisons are valid in that they both play WB (rather than FB), which is helpful whilst comparing them, how they are used in their teams is different with Doherty regularly coming off his wing to run in behind defences, whereas we opt to have Aurier stay out wide, because of this their stats will no doubt be skewed somewhat.

If we keep Aurier then our business is great. If we sell Aurier and don't by another RB/WB then I don't think our business is all that astute given Doherty's age and Tanganaga, Foyth, Toby, Sanchez, Sissoko, Gedson aren't very good options to provide cover/competition (we could go 3ATB and push Davies/Sess up as WB on the left I suppose.) But Jose has been trying out Gedson as RB in our preseason friendlies so I have major concerns that if we sell Aurier we are in exactly in the same position as we have been with Aurier, stuck with a RWB who's OK but not top draw.

Irrespective of differences in quality, him being home grown is a big plus.

Back
Top Bottom