Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thank goodness people are suddenly realising on here pissing away 30-40-50m on people is not a solution, we just have to get the right people for right positions, as United have discovered and us 2 years ago, just buying quality doesn't mean anything.
Could swear that the biggest fee signings have tended to dissapoint in recent years (for all PL teams).

Sanchez and Costa are obvious exceptions, but it always seems like a giant price tag hangs around a player's neck like an albatross. Perhaps because the fans have so much more expectation and don't get behind them as easily? Meh.
:harryhmm:

Could swear that the biggest fee signings have tended to dissapoint in recent years (for all PL teams).

Sanchez and Costa are obvious exceptions, but it always seems like a giant price tag hangs around a player's neck like an albatross. Perhaps because the fans have so much more expectation and don't get behind them as easily? Meh.
:harryhmm:

Its just the whole industry is flawed and in any business if I was spending 40m on something there should be an extreme rationale and testing for doing so. Take the case of Ozil and Sanchez at Woolwich, same money different results, these transfers can happen 10 mins to midnight in a transfer window, fucking ridiculous.

I say the loan market will get more and more popular, see if the guy fits in first then purchase

I love Poch as much as the next bloke but does anyone else feel that we could have gone with a bit of extra aerial protection at 2-0 up? I'm guessing it's not his style to make a big defensive change but I wouldn't have minded seeing Fazio come on for 1 of the midfielders and move Dier up into midfield (has played there at Sporting). Poor lad was up against that big goof Zamora and it was their only way of getting back into it

I love Poch as much as the next bloke but does anyone else feel that we could have gone with a bit of extra aerial protection at 2-0 up? I'm guessing it's not his style to make a big defensive change but I wouldn't have minded seeing Fazio come on for 1 of the midfielders and move Dier up into midfield (has played there at Sporting). Poor lad was up against that big goof Zamora and it was their only way of getting back into it
Fair point, but there'll always be a couple of minutes where CBs need to get settled if you've changed one through substitution. If Poch had put Fazio on for Dier (with all the right intentions) and QPR had scored because of that adjustment period, we'd have been crucifying him!

Fair point, but there'll always be a couple of minutes where CBs need to get settled if you've changed one through substitution. If Poch had put Fazio on for Dier (with all the right intentions) and QPR had scored because of that adjustment period, we'd have been crucifying him!
Not so much on for Dier but for 1 of the mids giving us 3 players with height to deal with QPR. Just on with him and JV. Wouldn't have needed to change system too much with both JV & Dier comfortable playing in midfield. Just felt like we were a very small side going up against a team with Zamora and Austin as their only real way through whether it be themselves of by being bigger & stronger than us

Yeah I said before i cant see him being a sensitive soul like AVB or Sherwood, I think literally he is picking the players he thinks fits his plans and formation better

Seems to be the approach definately.

The problem with building a team with one eye on the summer and next season though, is that you can neglect this season to some extent.

AVB set a dangerous precedent when it came to building a team in his head, around a player that was never ours to build around, in Moutinho.
We are all dreaming of a utopia transfer window where Poch gets everyone he wants, and all the "trouble makers" are sent packing.

History tells us though, that most of the outcasts will still be here come August. Then what?

Just wanna check, for clarification purposes...
is this really Poch :pochsmirk: ... or is it actually Rodney Bewes?
rodney_bewes_panellist-char.jpg

Not so much on for Dier but for 1 of the mids giving us 3 players with height to deal with QPR. Just on with him and JV. Wouldn't have needed to change system too much with both JV & Dier comfortable playing in midfield. Just felt like we were a very small side going up against a team with Zamora and Austin as their only real way through whether it be themselves of by being bigger & stronger than us
Ahh, sorry, I misread your post there.
(Need a coffee soon)
:paulinhofacepalm:

Interesting move for sure. Definitely would have helped against their side - big load of bullying lumps, the lot of them.

To Poch's simultaneous credit/criticism - he doesn't seem to get a lead and sit on it through horrible defensive tactics a la Mourinho.
That will bite us on the arse occasionally (as it does with Man City who can play similarly suicidally at times): but it does make us a lot more fun to watch than Chelsea.

That will bite us on the arse occasionally (as it does with Man City who can play similarly suicidally at times): but it does make us a lot more fun to watch than Chelsea
I'm all for 70 minutes of fun which we were having, and to be honest I thought QPR would roll over and die after a 2nd. But the 1 and only way back in for them was bullying us for size. Young manager and who is still going to improve, I just hope he doesn't become stubborn in his ways and we lose points along the way

Seems to be the approach definately.

The problem with building a team with one eye on the summer and next season though, is that you can neglect this season to some extent.

AVB set a dangerous precedent when it came to building a team in his head, around a player that was never ours to build around, in Moutinho.
We are all dreaming of a utopia transfer window where Poch gets everyone he wants, and all the "troublore makers" are sent packing.

History tells us though, that most of the outcasts will still be here come August. Then what?
He isn't really doing that though. He's building the team around a way of playing, and the plan would be to fill in or upgrade where needed.

I don't think he's neglecting this season, I think he's hamstrung by a franken-squad which isn't 100% up to the job. I think freezing Ade, Kaboul and Capoue is quite warranted if they are a) unable to follow the plan and work with the team and b) unwilling to personally work hard enough to make required adjustments.

I think Adebayor is not the player he was, and Kaboul is definitely past it as well. Capoue seems to be a bit of a mental issue, if he's not loved, he's unable to respond. Stambouli may be having trouble adjusting to England. He's quite young, and wouldn't be the first player to have issues with the transition.

I'm all for 70 minutes of fun which we were having, and to be honest I thought QPR would roll over and die after a 2nd. But the 1 and only way back in for them was bullying us for size. Young manager and who is still going to improve, I just hope he doesn't become stubborn in his ways and we lose points along the way
We're gonna have a few scrappy games against relegation fodder getting more and more desperate to survive... that Leicester match will be a nightmare, I reckon.

Thank goodness people are suddenly realising on here pissing away 30-40-50m on people is not a solution, we just have to get the right people for right positions, as United have discovered and us 2 years ago, just buying quality doesn't mean anything.

Not against spending 30 million if it means getting a Worldie but not spending money for money's sake. With the amount of young players coming through we really should only be looking at buying the best we possibly can, with all due respect to Stambouli and Fazio players of a much higher ability, I see little point getting another Benji when we have Dele Alli and Onomah developing fast and already have Mason and Bentaleb.

For me we should be going all out for Depay, Schniederlin and Lacazette if we want to spend money. Getting just one of these is better and more worthwhile than 3 average players which do nothing but slow the path of our young players. Quality not Quantity, we have enough quantity.

God I bloody hope not, even if we cannot sell them lets at least get them out on loan Chelsea style, give them something to fight for, as they are all good players (apart from Paulinho) who just need a refresh

God I bloody hope not, even if we cannot sell them lets at least get them out on loan Chelsea style, give them something to fight for, as they are all good players (apart from Paulinho) who just need a refresh

Can you imagine if Bobby, Paulinho, Chirches, Capoue, Kaboul, Ade and Lennon are still with us next season. I wonder if Hull will take all of them for knock down £40 mil.
:paulinhofacepalm:

He isn't really doing that though. He's building the team around a way of playing, and the plan would be to fill in or upgrade where needed.

But to me thats the same thing.

We dont have good enough players in Townsend and Lamela to play his ultimate formation, and IMO our best approach is with Dembele as in the Woolwich game.

The key for me is:
Have we got all the players required? No
Are we rotating enough? No
Do we have an adequate plan b which can incorperate our squad? No

I don't think he's neglecting this season, I think he's hamstrung by a franken-squad which isn't 100% up to the job. I think freezing Ade, Kaboul and Capoue is quite warranted if they are a) unable to follow the plan and work with the team and b) unwilling to personally work hard enough to make required adjustments.

As has been said though, if thats the case, I wish Poch would stop saying they have a future here.

Also, the last manager was berated for dropping the likes of Capoue....some of thsoe berating him are now simply assuming Capoue is lazy, troublesome or not fit enough..

As has been said though, if thats the case, I wish Poch would stop saying they have a future here.

Also, the last manager was berated for dropping the likes of Capoue....some of thsoe berating him are now simply assuming Capoue is lazy, troublesome or not fit enough..

Poch seems to be one for playing the media and keeping his cards close to his chest. Capoue has talent no doubt but he is so lazy, have you ever watched him track runners or shall I say not track runners, worse than Rose last season, it's a shame as I rate him as a footballer.

Back
Top Bottom