Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do people like the high pressing system? You can't have that without the high line, and I'm going to guess Fazio and Vertonghen are too slow as a pairing for that, hence Dier playing.
Well Fazio was a poch signing so thats a bit worrying.

Do people like the high pressing system? You can't have that without the high line, and I'm going to guess Fazio and Vertonghen are too slow as a pairing for that, hence Dier playing.

High Pressing is ok if you have the ball, yesterday we didn't and thus it exposed our defence. Against weaker passing teams it seems pretty good as a way to strangle the game but when the opposition can pass better than us we look exposed and stretched.

Maybe we need to vary it up a bit, a bit more compact against teams like United, even the stubborn Wenger is becoming more tactically flexable recently.

I like it when we dont abandon it after 20 minutes and look like shit and get played off the park.

Which happens too often for my liking...so in essence, Id be happy to play to our players strengths and abilities until we have a squad who the manager trusts.

But I guess that would mean a back up plan......

Agreed on the back up plan, but if you have a manager with a particular style but very much a mongrel sqaud of players not perfectly suited to the system I think you are always going to have issues. I will be interested to see in 2-3 years once we have had time to buy and sell how this team operates when it is actually Poch's sqaud and not just a rag tag inherited from Redknapp, Levy, AVB etc.

Bentaleb and Mason yesterday got crushed, and Walker reverted to his former self. When Nabil is good, he's very good. But since he's 20, there are games when he gets far too casual in his passing, and gets outworked by more physically mature players.

Mason just isn't a CM it would appear. I think we looked better after Dembele came on and made it a three man midfield, but we suffered by already being so far down at that point.

I think that at the moment, with the players we have, the 4-2-3-1 with Eriksen as the 10 and Mason and Bentaleb paired in central midfield is not viable against teams in the top half of the table.

I get why Pochettino wants to try it, but it just isn't going to work this year.

In summer, with someone on Schneiderlin's level doing the midfield control side of things, we can look at it again, but we just haven't got the players for it now.

People shouldn't be calling for his head, (I havent seen anyone) but criticising him is fine.

Bringing Adebayor on for me is a strange one, because I was under the impression he was completely frozen out of the squad... If he isnt... Why has he not been used, especially to give Kane a rest?
Bluntly, I think he isn't good enough. Neither is Soldado, but I think Pochettino was feeling kind of desperate at that point yesterday.

I think Pochettino is honest that no one is frozen out. But it's either his way, or the highway, so if a player isn't willing to do the same things as the rest of the team, they're on the outside looking in. Adebayor doesn't seem to be a guy who likes being on the outside, but is perhaps easily led astray by those who are.

Echoes of what we are going through now.

Yet now, its all perfectly ok to sideline people and pick your son every week.

Beating Chelsea and Woolwich, having a recognizable plan, and the backing of the squad will do that.

Tactics Tim had none of that. Hence the reason he wasn't retained.

Well Fazio was a poch signing so thats a bit worrying.

Not sure how this is worrying as both him and Vertonghen were damn solid at the back when they were starting together. He's recently lost his place and I'd like to see him get time in the lineup again.

Not talking about any of that. Im talking about sidelining players being ok for some managers, but not others.
Sammy can we ask you what is the problem with Stambouli,we rate him and can,t see what the problem is ,for a player with work rate and ability to see and break up attacks have we better .

Stambouli was a completely unexpected deal. I don't know why he has been brought in, we already had a bunch of midfielders before that.

Vorm is happy as a second goalkeeper, better than Friedel.

Davies, Dier and Yedlin are all 21 years old. They are going to get better, Dier has been very good this season.

I don't know about Fazio. I do think he will get game time in the last couple of games.
I'm sorry, but you are absolutely deluded, if you think we have the team to challenge for top 4. Imo we're a very very average side punching way above our weight.

Bentaleb and Mason yesterday got crushed, and Walker reverted to his former self. When Nabil is good, he's very good. But since he's 20, there are games when he gets far too casual in his passing, and gets outworked by more physically mature players.

Mason just isn't a CM it would appear. I think we looked better after Dembele came on and made it a three man midfield, but we suffered by already being so far down at that point.

I think that at the moment, with the players we have, the 4-2-3-1 with Eriksen as the 10 and Mason and Bentaleb paired in central midfield is not viable against teams in the top half of the table.

I get why Pochettino wants to try it, but it just isn't going to work this year.

In summer, with someone on Schneiderlin's level doing the midfield control side of things, we can look at it again, but we just haven't got the players for it now.
I agree with it all except one point.
Woolwich are in the top half of the table so are Southampton and Mason played in those 3 games.
Without Mason we have no CM midfielder who can pass, move and get into the box.
Dembele may be strong on the ball, but he does nothing with it. When was the last time you said ' what a pass by Dembele for that goal' or even 'what a goal by Dembele'.
Mason is playing because he is the only mobile, fast passing forward getting CM we have. That's how short this squad is.
Without Mason we were just passing the ball from side to side, out to the wing or up to players with the backs to the opposition. Nobody gets passed Eriksen into the space.
Bentaleb is a youngster far from the finished article and he's considered our best CM. Mason was written off and at 23 is in his debut season after being here for donkey's.
As you cannot expect miracles from them. However, they are the best options we have there imo
I think all the signings made by Poch have been ok. Fazio maybe the exception but he obviously wasn't first choice. I think he will be okay though.
Sixth is perfectly respectful. We have played 48 games this year with basically one striker, one consistent AM and two rookies in midfield.

Sammy can we ask you what is the problem with Stambouli,we rate him and can,t see what the problem is ,for a player with work rate and ability to see and break up attacks have we better .

I have no idea why he's suddenly been banished to the wilderness mate. Thought he was doing more than a decent job.

Even when we looked like throwing away a 2 goal lead at QPR, he brought on Lamela first then finally Stambouli to sure it up. Just weird.

I like it when we dont abandon it after 20 minutes and look like shit and get played off the park.

Which happens too often for my liking...so in essence, Id be happy to play to our players strengths and abilities until we have a squad who the manager trusts.

But I guess that would mean a back up plan......
What way was that then? The way they played under AVB or the way they played under Tim?
I just think we have 4 our five players who you should only have one of in a team.
What we need is more midfielders in the Mason mould but more experienced. Players that can pass, move, tackle and get forward.
The team has had a lack of creativity and goals from midfield which wasn't addressed when we sold Bale.
We have then had to look to Kane, Mason and Bentaleb to remedy that.
I think we are playing to the players strengths.
Dembele moaned about being defensive but has been give a chance to play to his strengths and didn't do much.
Chadli has been playing where he did in Holland.
Andros has been given a role to play to his strengths but sadly it's just not good enough
Etc, etc.
Unfortunately, atm. we are only good enough for 5th or 6th, that's the reality of it.

This has been the most enjoyable season of football in years. This team has more heart than any team I remember. We get to watch these young players develop... Which includes ups and downs. And I can see an actual identifiable system developing. I have loved this season and I have refound a real love for Spurs. And for that I thank Poch.

I have no idea why he's suddenly been banished to the wilderness mate. Thought he was doing more than a decent job.

Even when we looked like throwing away a 2 goal lead at QPR, he brought on Lamela first then finally Stambouli to sure it up. Just weird.
He hasn't been banished to the wilderness.Now there's some Redknappesque hyperbole!
If He would have brought on a Stambouli, a def midfielder at 2-0 up with 20 odd minutes to go and it went the same way, he probably would have coated him for not going for the 3rd and nearly losing it.
Only the manager knows why and there could be all kinds of reasons.
Maybe it's because Pochettino doesn't know what he's doing and knows fuck all about football. Not as much as us forum warriors obviously.
FFs, it's not like Stambouli had a massive run of games, was outstanding and then got lodged to never be seen again.
If I remember correctly he started 2 times on the trot in the EPL once in place of Mason and was subbed at half time, and then Bentaleb. We nicked a win and drew 0-0. He was competent enough
He's a decent player who is settling in to a new club, country, culture, home, and working environment. Acclimatisation. He has done well and is being eased in nicely.
We will see more of him.
Maybe it's a good thing he never played more as he would have inevitably had a couple of off games and then got slaughtered for being shit.

Back
Top Bottom