Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why do people have to be like this? Why do we have to hate on Poch? Why cant you just let it be, the man left, just say he did well and move on. No. We have to try to alter history and pretend he was a shit manager. And is a shit manager. Why? Because he didnt win the Champions League with PSG in his first full season despite coasting the league in third gear. Because theyve won so many CL titles in the past.

Give it a rest. The man absolutely bossed teams in europe and domestically with Spurs. We were fucking dangerous. Who cares about PSG and their team of instagram pussies. They wont ever win the champions league if they had poch tuchel conte jose pep combined. He’s only their for a laugh until his crown jewel Real Madrid/Utd turns up.
There are a lot of people who do say just that, then there are those who fall to one side or the other and go back and forth, edging towards the extreme ends of an opinion in reaction to each other in a self-perpetuating/exacerbating cycle.

The haters wouldn't exist if there weren't those that go way OTT about Poch being the best thing since sliced bread IMO.

For me he was good not great, and his spell here was a case of right place right time, for both him and the club, there was a good long spell in the middle where it seemed we had lightning in a bottle, but it often seems that some remember only this spell and forget that it was bookended by some really dour stuff.

I think your second paragraph strays well into the hyperbole territory that invokes such a reaction in fact, and as someone else mentioned, his next job will confirm exactly where he currently stands amongst his peers. I personally would be surprised if it's Madrid/Utd that are after him, also be a bit surprised if he sees either as his crown jewel.

For all he may have overseen us bossing teams in Europe and domestically, he also managed us through being bossed at home by Sheff Utd and scraping a draw, getting hammered at Brighton, losing 7-2 at home to Bayern, half a season of abject league performances glossed over by a CL run, and as great as Amsterdam was, it got glossed over the fact that we were actually bossed big time by Ajax for 3/4 of that tie.

And I'm going to leave it at that as I can feel myself falling into the trap of over emphasising on the negative in reaction to your positivity.

There are a lot of people who do say just that, then there are those who fall to one side or the other and go back and forth, edging towards the extreme ends of an opinion in reaction to each other in a self-perpetuating/exacerbating cycle.

The haters wouldn't exist if there weren't those that go way OTT about Poch being the best thing since sliced bread IMO.

For me he was good not great, and his spell here was a case of right place right time, for both him and the club, there was a good long spell in the middle where it seemed we had lightning in a bottle, but it often seems that some remember only this spell and forget that it was bookended by some really dour stuff.

I think your second paragraph strays well into the hyperbole territory that invokes such a reaction in fact, and as someone else mentioned, his next job will confirm exactly where he currently stands amongst his peers. I personally would be surprised if it's Madrid/Utd that are after him, also be a bit surprised if he sees either as his crown jewel.

:pocheyes:

It's pretty obvious what kind of person Poch is. He follows his heart, a completely hopeless romantic.

PSG is clearly not the kind of club to fill the romantic ideals of football that people like Poch and Bielsa live by. Without that Poch seemed keen to gtfo pretty much since last season.

Maybe it's a bit of projection on my part too, I can only ever do something well if I'm passionate about it, no matter how easy it is.

It's pretty obvious what kind of person Poch is. He follows his heart, a completely hopeless romantic.

PSG is clearly not the kind of club to fill the romantic ideals of football that people like Poch and Bielsa live by. Without that Poch seemed keen to gtfo pretty much since last season.

Maybe it's a bit of projection on my part too, I can only ever do something well if I'm passionate about it, no matter how easy it is.
I think there's a lot to that (I'm the same as you in this regard also).

He's always shown a genuine passion towards every Club he's been affiliated with but with PSG I think (completely guessing) that it wasn't a move of personal passion despite once playing for them (and frequently referencing his time at the Club, as he has done with his other clubs). I've always felt it was of necessity because at the time of going there he was taking a break whilst still enjoying his Tottenham salary, all the top jobs (Man U, Madrid, Barca etc) were occupied.

When PSG job became available he's been out for 18mths or so, I feel he needed to take it. It guaranteed him a Legaue Title and some other domestic trophies, something the haters always used against him, it gave him a shot at CL too which he came close to achieving (I feel the players let him down in this regard, they were the better side vs Madrid this year and last year was a coin toss vs City over the two legs, but again PSG's players were at fault for losing against them with another on-pitch meltdown).

Ultimately, everyone knows the issues at PSG and their set-up and therefore I assume Poch did too. He accepted a job knowing that he has to work under an egotist owner and more importantly a really poor DoF (who's been heavily criticised as such for years). They still know that they have an elite coach on their hands, hence that's why he hasn't been sacked yet (he is 95% likely to be) but they haven't got a replacement despite over a year of speculation, they are hedging their bets and keeping him until they can confirm. In almost every case I can think of Clubs that think their manager should be replaced do so immediately but they know he's still good enough. Ironically now Campos is in the environment should be conducive to better coach/club relations.

But (if sacked) he walks away with a Legaue Title and 2 domestic trophies, another CL final of experience in the bank (ONLY the 3rd PSG manager to do so!!!) and a years fully paid multi-million-pound contract to be paid up. Always felt that the PSG player part with him was a good marketing opportunity for him an the fanbase but let's get real here I doubt any of the fanbases know anything about the Club past the last decade, they are all player fans, not fans of the Club (I despise this type of fanbase that's infesting the game).

Still, it's a fascinating manager market at the top clubs at the moment and Ancellotti's unlikely CL win has stopped the merry-go-round.

Last edited:
I could honestly see him going to Chelsea when Touchel gets sacked

Zero reason to assume Tuchel will be sacked any time soon.

The new owners (and the higher ups on the board) will be thoroughly impressed with how he's handled the Roman/Ukraine shit-storm and they won't be anywhere near as trigger-happy as Abramovich was.

Last edited:
I could see him going to Newcastle. Loads of money to spend on a project he can oversee almost from scratch. He’s a manager that would take them to their next level and who knows what he could achieve with a team of his own making rather than having to fuck around at PSG with a load of preening divas.

I could see him going to Newcastle. Loads of money to spend on a project he can oversee almost from scratch. He’s a manager that would take them to their next level and who knows what he could achieve with a team of his own making rather than having to fuck around at PSG with a load of preening divas.

Possible.... We've seen from PSG he has no issue with managing petro-cunts.

Realistically, taking Newcastle to their next level will be for them to not spend the season trying to avoid relegation.
😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom