Media Bias

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Probably not so much media bias as sloppy reporting. From today's BBC article about the Richarlison signing:

Tottenham have qualified for this season's Champions League and have signed keeper Fraser Forster and midfielder Yves Bissouma so far this summer.

images

Funny nobody mentioning Nick Kyrgios is a Tottenham fan and unseeded tennis player in teh Wimbledon final.

He won the Australian Open but somehow wasn't seeded which is weird by Wimbledon's standards and he just knocked out the number 4 seed in the last 16 (a tough draw, although BBC keep saying he had an easy draw).

Sports journos are calling him a "bad boy" yet he has more fans than any other player in this year's Wimbledon, many of them camping out on "Henman Hill" cheering him on. The media hate him coz he's a Spurs fan.

John McEnroe noticed this and said in America we would love this guy and didn't understand the criticism by the BBC. Henman and the main commentator never had a good word about Kyrgios and BBC got loads of complaints about the commentary (against Brandon Nakashima).

I think a lot of the stuff is coz he supports Tottenham openly and he looks one of the best players right now. Will be a tough one against Djokovic today. Let's hope the Spurs fan wins!!

DDqGRsgW0AkrK2z

Funny nobody mentioning Nick Kyrgios is a Tottenham fan and unseeded tennis player in teh Wimbledon final.

He won the Australian Open but somehow wasn't seeded which is weird by Wimbledon's standards and he just knocked out the number 4 seed in the last 16 (a tough draw, although BBC keep saying he had an easy draw).

Sports journos are calling him a "bad boy" yet he has more fans than any other player in this year's Wimbledon, many of them camping out on "Henman Hill" cheering him on. The media hate him coz he's a Spurs fan.

John McEnroe noticed this and said in America we would love this guy and didn't understand the criticism by the BBC. Henman and the main commentator never had a good word about Kyrgios and BBC got loads of complaints about the commentary (against Brandon Nakashima).

I think a lot of the stuff is coz he supports Tottenham openly and he looks one of the best players right now. Will be a tough one against Djokovic today. Let's hope the Spurs fan wins!!

DDqGRsgW0AkrK2z
Who won the Australian open? Kyrgios?

Nadal won it didn't he?

Hundreds of fans greet Liverpool in Bangkok

This is currently the top article on BBC, because it's so newsworthy.

Nothing about us in South Korea though, now you tell me, what's the bigger market?
Just thinking EXACTLY this.... HUNDREDS... HUNDREDS of fans in Bangkok for Liverpool...

Literally THOUSANDS in Seoul for Spurs (well let's face it, Son)...

It's like it didn't happen!

Just thinking EXACTLY this.... HUNDREDS... HUNDREDS of fans in Bangkok for Liverpool...

Even if nobody turned up in Bangkok the story would still be about them. Not a conspiracy. They just have more plastics to cater for.
In a few years when the dippers are 8th and Manure are 2nd then we'll be hearing all about them as the plastics change sides.

Even if nobody turned up in Bangkok the story would still be about them. Not a conspiracy. They just have more plastics to cater for.
In a few years when the dippers are 8th and Manure are 2nd then we'll be hearing all about them as the plastics change sides.
A few years ago when the dippers were 8th and Manure were 2nd

#FTFY

Ain't gonna happen any time soon the other way around! (please please please)

DDqGRsgW0AkrK2z
It's cos Kyrgios is just a prick mate....and when did he win the Australian open?......🤷‍♂️ he's never won a grand slam.

A few years ago when the dippers were 8th and Manure were 2nd

#FTFY

Ain't gonna happen any time soon the other way around! (please please please)

Don't care which way round it is tbh.... Any time one of the traditionally big teams is in the mud it's good for Spurs.

In fact, it's better the way it is right now as we have a chance of competing with Liverpool financially; whereas Utd even now are still on another level.

I'd imagine that Koreans have much higher disposable income than Thais too...

:levywhoa:

Last edited:
It's cos Kyrgios is just a prick mate....and when did he win the Australian open?......🤷‍♂️ he's never won a grand slam.
...but he's our prick!

....besides, hasn't he had mental health issues? in the past??
No excuse for being a prick, but I think his 'schtick' is to wind himself up over every little thing, as I think he thinks he plays better angry!

DDqGRsgW0AkrK2z

They don't hate him because he's a Spurs fan ffs. They probably don't know he's a Spurs fan.
They hate him because he's not a posh middle/upper class white man. It's a snobby sport full of snobby cunts..
People like him, with a bit of a down to earth lifestyle who don't work with a stiff upper lip get vilified and tarred as bad boys.

He won the men’s doubles Australian Open this year. A bit misleading in that original post.
They don't hate him because he's a Spurs fan ffs. They probably don't know he's a Spurs fan.
They hate him because he's not a posh middle/upper class white man. It's a snobby sport full of snobby cunts..
People like him, with a bit of a down to earth lifestyle who don't work with a stiff upper lip get vilified and tarred as bad boys.
They don’t hate him because he’s a Spurs fan, I agree. But he is definitely posh upper class. His mother was like a royal princess of Malaysia and his family is worth quite a lot.

The main reason I think most people hate him is because of his antics and not taking tennis seriously even though it’s clear he has all the talent in the world. If he applied himself even a little bit, he would be consistently challenging for grand slam titles.

It’s just like any other sport where the media will scrutinize you if you don’t fit into their boxes of what a player should be and he is the antithesis of a “normal” tennis player with his outspoken nature, disregard for umpires, and general bouts of anger each and every match.

Mind you, I actually love watching him and think he’s great for tennis. He’s entertaining to say the least.

He won the men’s doubles Australian Open this year. A bit misleading in that original post.

They don’t hate him because he’s a Spurs fan, I agree. But he is definitely posh upper class. His mother was like a royal princess of Malaysia and his family is worth quite a lot.

The main reason I think most people hate him is because of his antics and not taking tennis seriously even though it’s clear he has all the talent in the world. If he applied himself even a little bit, he would be consistently challenging for grand slam titles.

It’s just like any other sport where the media will scrutinize you if you don’t fit into their boxes of what a player should be and he is the antithesis of a “normal” tennis player with his outspoken nature, disregard for umpires, and general bouts of anger each and every match.

Mind you, I actually love watching him and think he’s great for tennis. He’s entertaining to say the least.

I think it's because he doesn't act like a tennis player. I saw him getting a roasting the other day for wearing a red baseball cap.
FFS, it's 2022 people.

I think it's because he doesn't act like a tennis player. I saw him getting a roasting the other day for wearing a red baseball cap.
FFS, it's 2022 people.
It is 2022 and honestly Nick is way ahead of the curve in that sport. For a game as individualistic as tennis is, the players aren’t really branded that well. Kyrgios is unranked and is probably a top 5 most popular player in the world.

I tried to watch some of the final yesterday on my phone while I was busy in the kitchen.
Fucked if I had any idea which 6+ foot man dressed in white hat, white shirt, white shorts and white trainers was which.
Had to go by crowd noise. Think the fans sided with NK rather than Novax

Back
Top Bottom