Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some other players have been fantastic in the Premier League ... and that relates to how good (or not) Messi might be ... how? That is the connecting bit of the argument I don't follow.

I think Ive explained my views on Messi.

There is no proof until he joins a PL team, and I dont think he will, because he has a comfort zone in a league where no one wants to risk treading on his ankles.

Its not just him, its the whole aura of Barca....if you stand there and let them make 65 passes, of course, they will look amazing.

Another reason he's the shit
iAbdRW6

The stupid arguments about Messi not proving himself until he plays in PL are fucking ridiculous. Seriously he is the best player I have ever seen. Who is better? Who would be better? No one. He would fuck this league up its ass.
Ronaldo is the best player I have seen live and the people putting any criticism on him are also insane.

Why the fuck would you have to play in the Prem to prove how good you are? So you can show that you can still be good even if you get fouled all the time?

He plays in the fucking Champions League and international tournaments and still rapes everyone, I think it's quite clear he has some ability..

Why the fuck would you have to play in the Prem to prove how good you are?

Because IMO, the fact that in 25 years either Real or Barca have won the title 20 times shows that a Liga is a fucking formality with basically two teams in it, with the odd challenger every 5 or 6 years.
It gets even more embarrassing as you go back through history.

Other teams know their place in Spain

Last edited:
I think Ive explained my views on Messi.

There is no proof until he joins a PL team, and I dont think he will, because he has a comfort zone in a league where no one wants to risk treading on his ankles.

Its not just him, its the whole aura of Barca....if you stand there and let them make 65 passes, of course, they will look amazing.
Disagree-

Maradona best player ever. went to Naples, run the show, won the league. Not many, if any could do that.
Messi brilliant player doesn't need to show PL form to support this. PL is not top level football, hype. The best players stay away-why would you want to play in the PL other than the financial rewards?

Disagree-

Maradona best player ever. went to Naples, run the show, won the league. Not many, if any could do that.
Messi brilliant player doesn't need to show PL form to support this. PL is not top level football, hype. The best players stay away-why would you want to play in the PL other than the financial rewards?

Maradonna played in the 80´s though before football was sanitized to the extent it is today.

I genuinely think the "nobodys" out there fear lawsuits if they injure certain players these days and show them too much respect.

The fact no one decked Gerrard the other day is testament to that.

PL is not top level football, hype. The best players stay away-why would you want to play in the PL other than the financial rewards?

As a league I think the level of football across the board is a higher standard and more competative.

People look at English teams poor showing the CL and assume that La Liga or Serie A are better leagues. Simply not true. There are a handfull of top euro teams that are better than our top teams the rest are a long way off

Why the fuck would you have to play in the Prem to prove how good you are? So you can show that you can still be good even if you get fouled all the time?

He plays in the fucking Champions League and international tournaments and still rapes everyone, I think it's quite clear he has some ability..
Because you obviously have to be able to do it on a rainy Tuesday night in Stoke. :memeokay:
:troll:

Because IMO, the fact that in 25 years either Real or Barca have won the title 20 times shows that a Liga is a fucking formality with basically two teams in it, with the odd challenger every 5 or 6 years.
It gets even more embarrassing as you go back through history.

Other teams know their place in Spain

Really don't understand this viewpoint. He's done it in the CL which is a higher standard than the Premier League ever will be. Why should he have to prove himself against the likes of Stoke and West Brom when he has done so already against Real Madrid, Bayern, United, Woolwich, AC Milan etc?

Really don't understand this viewpoint. He's done it in the CL which is a higher standard than the Premier League ever will be. Why should he have to prove himself against the likes of Stoke and West Brom when he has done so already against Real Madrid, Bayern, United, Woolwich, AC Milan etc?
to see who can break his legs I guess

Sorry but Barca just came through a group with PSG, Ajax and Apoel.
The rest is a cup run.

What are the absolute best teams right now?

Id say Barca, Real, Bayern.

Thats three teams. Anyone who thinks the CL is made up 15 or 20 world class teams is deluded.
Look at the last round, with teams like Shalke and Shaktar etc...in the next round we have Monaco and Porto etc, at best on a par with the top 6 teams in the PL.

Last edited:
How many broken legs did Bale or Ronaldo get in England? Its not about being fouled, its about playing against teams who dont give a fuck that you won the Bollocks D'or 55 times and will put in a challenge every now and then.
The defences are far tougher in the Prem. (all the way down) It stands to reason he'd find it more difficult.

The defences are far tougher in the Prem. (all the way down) It stands to reason he'd find it more difficult.

Exactly...not sure why people think the PL is full of players who are trying to break peoples legs.

Its a tough league, with the lower teams showing you no respect and actually daring to knock it around and play a bit of football.

Sorry but Barca just came through a group with PSG, Ajax and Apoel.
The rest is a cup run.

What are the absolute best teams right now?

Id say Barca, Real, Bayern.

Thats three teams. Anyone who thinks the CL is made up 15 or 20 world class teams is deluded.
Look at the last round, with teams like Shalke and Shaktar etc...in the next round we have Monaco and Porto etc, at best on a par with the top 6 teams in the PL.

You also missed Atletico Madrid. Juve also. You've mentioned Monaco who just knocked out the 3rd best team in our league btw. The point is, he has done it against the best of the best including the best English teams so I fail to see why he would struggle against Leicester or QPR.

I don't see why people are still so keen to big up the Premier League given how we've failed so miserably in all European competitons this year and weren't much better last season. If the Premier League is so good then why are our teams failing in the CL? And I really don't buy that it's because the PL is so demanding, it was demanding 6 years ago when we had 3 teams in the semis on a regular basis.

Messi always gets kicked against Real Madrid, he also got a few digs from Man City so I also don't buy that he wouldn't be able to stand up to the physical challenge.

Ronaldo proved himself in England, why couldn't Messi do the same?

Back
Top Bottom