Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am almost more impressed by the players around him there. I mean, I knew Messi was good, but the others all look like they have an understanding of football and an ability to move.

My son, now 7, plays in a team where most of the players can barely kick a ball and can barely be arsed to even turn around if someone dribbles past them.

No wonder Argentina produces lots of great talent.

Funny how his physical movement is so recognisable, even after those decades of coaching. I’ve seen so many highlights reels of Messi from Barca days with the trip over a defenders clumsy foot then regaining his balance, the feints and weaves past the despairing slide tackles, and glorious free kicks. Must be born with it, training is for teammates to learn from him.

I've always had a preference for Ronaldo. He's probably not quite as naturally gifted as Messi but there's something inspiring in the way he's worked as hard as he has to improve himself and get the absolute maximum and more from himself. I remember when he was a spotty teenager and he was all stepovers and not a lot else.

I've always had a preference for Ronaldo. He's probably not quite as naturally gifted as Messi but there's something inspiring in the way he's worked as hard as he has to improve himself and get the absolute maximum and more from himself. I remember when he was a spotty teenager and he was all stepovers and not a lot else.
My preference is Messi as he's magical to watch and is the peak of natural ability.

But yes, Ronaldo is the best example of a footballer maximising their potential and developing his game.

I'd pick Messi over Ronaldo every time though, as unlike Ronaldo he's a team player.

This only makes sense if you were born in the1990 's, but if you born in the 1940's and still living to make a true unbiased opinion.
Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Ronaldo brazilian and portugal, Messi, Ronaldinho,George best,Zidane etc.
you know where i am getting at? For me cause im 50, Maradona and Ronaldinho the best i've seen. True skill and did things with the ball that were inventive and original, not to replicated.

I am thankful to have lived in the same era as him. What a player. Enjoy watching him while you can because there won't be another one like Messi for another 30 years at least. Incredible.

Haven't seen him play like that for a while.

Being on holiday in France seems to be good for him.

Messi single handedly destroys the myth that all you need is hard work and a bit of luck to be the best at what you do.

He was born with it. He had better ball control and dribbling at 8 than mos of us ever did in our school days.

Messi single handedly destroys the myth that all you need is hard work and a bit of luck to be the best at what you do.

He was born with it. He had better ball control and dribbling at 8 than mos of us ever did in our school days.
Ronaldo brings that myth back to life. Messi is magic though. Ronaldo is incredible, but Messi is art. The day Leo retires will be one of the saddest days for football. I've actually run out of superlatives for him. Normally I hope France or England win the WC (because Albania will never make it), but for this WC alone I hope with all my heart Argentina wins it, only because of Messi.

Back
Top Bottom