Messi Wins Gold Balloon......

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

.....Loses Fashion Contest.

bXJbL.jpg

I have to know.....did he get out of one of those tiny cars with like 8 other clowns when he arrived at the ceremony?

Isn't the whole thing a pile of turd? Any player of the week/month/season/millennium is all a bit silly really.

I reckon that is why he is wearing a stupid jacket, to mock the whole nonsense.

Isn't the whole thing a pile of turd? Any player of the week/month/season/millennium is all a bit silly really.

I reckon that is why he is wearing a stupid jacket, to mock the whole nonsense.
I think it's great to honour the greatest player in the world. Obviously someone like Messi would rather achieve accolades with his team over individual honours, but it's a historic trophy that has been in the hands of some of the greatest players of all-time (although of course the Ballon D'or is only a world affair as of recently).

I've never seen someone destroy opposition players with the ease and regularity that Messi does. Not Zidane. Not Ronaldinho. Not Ronaldo. Not the Portugese winker. As someone else said it's hard to say something about the bloke that hasn't already been said - he's an attacking force like no other playing today. The whole 'greatest' argument is rubbish for me; treat these great players in their era alone and you can get a fair comparison. Messi is simply the best player of his generation and a pleasure to watch every week.

The whole 'he hasn't proved himself in the Premier League yet' is rubbish as well, IMO. Pele never played outside of Brazil in his prime and people regard him as some kind of footballing Demi-God!

Yeah, it goes some way to putting his achievements into perspective of players in the past. He could be the best footballer ever recorded.

It's hard to argue against Messi, but the team of the year was what raised my eyebrows as it was all La Liga based with 10 out of 11 players from Barca or Real:

Casillas, Dani Alves, Pique, Ramos, Marcelo, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Messi, Falcao

Are all of the best players in the world in their respective positions really based in Spain? I hate to say it, but I'm struggling to make a convincing case to say otherwise.

It's hard to argue against Messi, but the team of the year was what raised my eyebrows as it was all La Liga based with 10 out of 11 players from Barca or Real:

Casillas, Dani Alves, Pique, Ramos, Marcelo, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldo, Messi, Falcao

Are all of the best players in the world in their respective positions really based in Spain? I hate to say it, but I'm struggling to make a convincing case to say otherwise.
fuck me if they are they've left out the best fullback in the world in lahm (he plays both sides so if a RB has been awesome then he takes LB and vice versa)
Casillas is not the best GK in the world... he rarely has to do any work and when he does he has started to make quite a few blunders.
That CB pairing... you've got one lad who rarely does any defensive work and one who will always make some sort of stupid mistake in a game.
How they could play a 4-3-3 when you have strikers like RVP around who's scored like 63 goals this calender year is beyond me. (chuck him in next to Falcao or what ever)

Yeah, Casillas has started to look iffy (I think he's been dropped by Mourinho?) and neither fullback are great from a purely defensive point of view... but how often do purely defensive fullbacks ever get praise? Lahm and Neuer are definitely shouts though, and I can see a case for Van Persie if it was 4-3-3, but it's not.

As for the Centre Backs. I don't think they're great but I'm not sure who else would get the nod this year (considering the Euro's) - I'm just thinkful that no Chelsea players made it...

Back
Top Bottom