Missing out on CL could be catastrophic for us

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, they’ve hardly been beating the door down with CL qualification.

It’s money mate. Always has been. Always will be.
That’s not the point, that’s down to bad scouting etc. Liverpool could never have gotten Salah, Alisson or Fabinho without CL which they themselves have said

YAAAAAAAAWWWWWNNNNN

Have you cunts not seen how Poch treats new signings.
What, you think he’d have used the 2018 signings more than he’s using the 2019 ones?

Bore off cunts, the managers lost it and it’s plain to everyone.

We’ve had successive four seasons of European Cup football. Have we bought a player in those four seasons that have made a long term consistent impact? We’re a clusterduck of a club top to bottom at the moment - board, manager, players most of whom don’t give a shit.

Best chance is to drop into the europa then win it for CL football. 4 losses already, I reckon we will lose 12 or more this season
Dropping into Europa would be terrible.

Don’t think this current team would have the drive to take it seriously and we would lose out on all that CL money. Plus it would make it even harder to get top 4.

Will be catastrophic...
No doubt, well done levy. We have over the last 5 years had unbelievable opportunities that this club just blatantly mis managed or ignored.
Now everyone else has caught up or overtaken us...

What? You’re saying we would easily get the player if us without CL offered the same wage as Woolwich who have consistently been in the CL?? (In this hypothetical situation)
No silly, Woolwich would offer higher wages. They have a much bigger wage bill.

Years of underspending, not getting needed targets, profit making, no net investment and slowly bleeding this club and exhausting it to the point of collapse has well and truly finished this club imo. I don't think we'll see CL for years after this.

Why? Because teams around us have all spent heavily. Gone are the days of expensive clubs dominating the CL spots. Everyone is getting money now. And these clubs are spending the cash. Leicester are actually a force. There are mid table club that now retain players and can make some big purchases.

Spurs need new owners, not a new manager. Levys mentality is still stuck in 2009. The games moved on. Cute cheap deals aren't enough anymore. There's money throughout the PL and these clubs are attracting names they could never have got 10 years ago.

Last edited:
CL qualification is the biggest load of bollocks in world football. It doesn't affect which players you get and the revenues, although generous, only really kick in at the latter stages. They are dwarfed by overall PL money.

You get good players and managers by paying them lots and lots of money.

Do that, they'll come.
^^^^^^
You are absolutely spot on.

it’s made no difference to us other than to get ENIC more money. There is not one player at Spurs who we could not have got with or without Champions League.

Realistically there is no way the stadium payments are dependent on champions league football, Levy wouldn't do something so reckless and throughout the vast majority of planning etc we weren't a CL club. A big loss, yes, but catastrophic is way over the top. The premier league money is now a bigger pot.

I'd really miss the CL matches, but I can't honestly say it'll affect our transfer strategy that much. We've barely made a top quality, CL level, first team signing in about 4 years; Ndombele probably the exception, maybe Moura at a push.
Leicester are the proof that with good scouting you can sign quality players with Premier League money and a bit of latent prestige.

Years of underspending, not getting needed targets, profit making, no net investment and slowly bleeding this club and exhausting it to the point of collapse has well and truly finished this club imo. I don't think we'll see CL for years after this.

Why? Because teams around us have all spent heavily. Gone are the days of expensive clubs dominating the CL spots. Everyone is getting money now. And these clubs are spending the cash. Leicester are actually a force. There are mid table club that now retain players and can make some big purchases.

Spurs need new owners, not a new manager.
leicester are building the best training ground in Europe. That will be an important factor in retaining and developing young talent. Think they have a brighter future than us, unless we can nick a couple of their players

Did you ignore what I said? I said if both clubs offered similar wages they would choose the CL club 9 times out of 10 mate which shows that CL is a big factor. The kind of players we need to win will have interest from CL clubs, that’s a no brainer...

Sure, if that’s the case, perhaps. But I’d be surprised if we’re offering the same wages as other top clubs, so not sure how often your scenario comes into play.

We’re an exceedingly attractive club to play for with one drawback - we’re comparatively tight bastards.

Yes It will be catastrophic on all fronts. Disastrous.
The new stadium will be a ghost house.
We will need another 5-10 years to regain top 4 if ever.
We had the best chance in the last 2 seasons to capitalise on our position with manu, woolwich and chelsi weakened but didn't take advantage, thanks to the incompetent manner Levy is draining and running the club down.
We will be back to SAG days.
With C L income we struggled in the transfer market and players wages, imagine all that lost income.
What is the point of new stadium without CL.
Levy's project would have failed and JL will sack him or JL will sell the club. I hope.
All out top players will leave inc Kane and Son.

Back
Top Bottom