Modric: "I'm sorry for the way I left..."

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When questioned about what precise point he came to realise that Tottenham were an admirable team, Modric replied "About two seasons ago, when Dele Ali rolled the ball between my legs"

:allitongue:

Last edited:
Honestly, he did just what Sheringham did (who seems happy to play for any club) or Klinsmann, or Berbatov or many others afterwards have done... he was naive with the Chelsea thing, but got stuck in when that didn't happen and always gave the club 100%. He'd be amazing in our current team, as an alternative to Eriksen, being that keystone player that just makes a team tick. Love a bit of Luka. And he's consistently spoken very favourably of the club and fans since he left, unlike the total silence and near complete disrespect of Bale.

Even if he can't play lots of games, for our lads to.be training with him will make them better players for it.
That is why I would be gutted if Dembele ever left, it would leave a hole.
Modric's game isn't based on speed so he will have a few more years yet.
Fantastic player, would be be a great addition.
I'm going to forget about this thread now as it'll only end in disappointment!

Modric has fallen off a cliff this season?! Have you watched Madrid this year? Modric has been one of the few still putting in performances. His last 3 in particular he has been brilliant. Modric has been better than Iniesta this season who for some reason keeps getting put on the left.

Real have been let down at the back all season.

To compare it to the injury prone, no kneed, Schweinsteiger is silly.

Winks would only benefit from learning from Modric and his incisive, forward thinking kind of play.

Yes, I watch the majority of Barcelona and Real games.

The entire Real midfield has declined defensively this season:

eqBz5Dn.png

More backward passes, less tackles, inferior take on success, worse aerially, and fewer interceptions & blocks.

Add to that an ageing Ronaldo, no Morata and James coming from the bench, Benzema not scoring, and no motivation after winning everything in football over a 2 year period. That is why they are where they are.

Plus, the PL is not a forgiving place for a midfielder like Modrić. It's very physical in midfield. At 33, he won't be able for such an intense schedule.

Yes, I watch the majority of Barcelona and Real games.

The entire Real midfield has declined defensively this season:

eqBz5Dn.png

More backward passes, less tackles, inferior take on success, worse aerially, and fewer interceptions & blocks.

Add to that an ageing Ronaldo, no Morata and James coming from the bench, Benzema not scoring, and no motivation after winning everything in football over a 2 year period. That is why they are where they are.

Plus, the PL is not a forgiving place for a midfielder like Modrić. It's very physical in midfield. At 33, he won't be able for such an intense schedule.
Modric wouldn't be returning for his defensive skills though, nor is he responsible for that at Real, Casemiro is. We have Wanyama and Dier for that. Modric would excel in those games where we dominate possession but are finding it tough to unlock two banks of 4.

The PL isn't forgiving, no. Luckily, Modric has already thrived in the League and knows exactly how it works. Physicality in midfield gets trumped by skill. Otherwise Sissoko would be a success.

Modric wouldn't be returning for his defensive skills though, nor is he responsible for that at Real, Casemiro is. We have Wanyama and Dier for that. Modric would excel in those games where we dominate possession but are finding it tough to unlock two banks of 4.

The PL isn't forgiving, no. Luckily, Modric has already thrived in the League and knows exactly how it works. Physicality in midfield gets trumped by skill. Otherwise Sissoko would be a success.
Have you watched Real this season bar the Spurs games? Modric has declined considerably and would get run over at the Prem like a joke. His decline has also been parallel to Real Madrid's woes this season - currently they're in danger of not making CL next season - that's how tragic they've been. Modric is finished at the top level, especially a Top 4 Prem club. That's the equivalent of calling Berba back.

A midfield is a unit. A good midfield wins the ball together and keeps it together. They aren’t protecting their defence as well as they were.

I think “thrived” is an exaggeration. He showed glimpses and had good spells, but was never majorly consistent. He’s been a different level at Real, as has N’Zonzi since making the switch to Spain. At 33, he will be less mobile returning and it would require a change of formation to accommodate him. Maybe a 4-3-2-1 instead of 4-2-3-1/3-4-2-1.

Sign a young player with good vision. I hate it when clubs block young talent by opting for a household name. There are lots of 22-25 year old midfielders out there who could be brought in to help ease the load on Eriksen.

Sissoko doesn’t have much intelligence. A player with half a brain and good physicality can go far. Wanyama, Doucouré, Ndidi, Kouyaté, etc.

A midfield is a unit. A good midfield wins the ball together and keeps it together. They aren’t protecting their defence as well as they were.

I think “thrived” is an exaggeration. He showed glimpses and had good spells, but was never majorly consistent. He’s been a different level at Real, as has N’Zonzi since making the switch to Spain. At 33, he will be less mobile returning and it would require a change of formation to accommodate him. Maybe a 4-3-2-1 instead of 4-2-3-1/3-4-2-1.

Sign a young player with good vision. I hate it when clubs block young talent by opting for a household name. There are lots of 22-25 year old midfielders out there who could be brought in to help ease the load on Eriksen.

Sissoko doesn’t have much intelligence. A player with half a brain and good physicality can go far. Wanyama, Doucouré, Ndidi, Kouyaté, etc.

Modric was incredibly consistent in his last two seasons for us.

None of those players you named have made an impact like Modric did. Silva is still influential at City, therefore we can determine that players like Silva and Modric are still capable. I'm going to push past the never majorly consistent bit. His last 2 seasons with us he was brilliant. Hence, he moved to Real Madrid.

Why is buying Modric blocking a youngster? You'd be replacing Sissoko with a far superior player. Winks has loads and loads of minutes, so does Sissoko. So if you're replacing Sissoko's minutes with Modric's, where is the blocking of Winks?

The one thing missing from our squad is an experienced winner with creativity. Modric is exactly that. Moura coming in also addresses this. Why should we buy an unnamed 22-25 year old (who would block Winks) when we can sign a tried and tested world class player? Would you turn down Lionel Messi for Ousmane Dembele?

Why would we need to change the formation? Modric plays well in a 2 with a DM (Sandro/Parker) and a 3 with a DM/CM (Kroos/Casemiro). Not to mention, Poch isn't adverse to switching formations anyway. We bought Sanchez and we changed formation to accommodate him. Evolution.

Our squad is filled with 22-25 year olds. We need creative experience in the centre of the park. Modric ticks all the boxes.

I’m not so sure. Easy on the eye though.

But it was an inferior Spurs side back then. It’d be interesting to see how a 26 year old Modrić would do in this Spurs side.

Nah, he was unbelievable. Had a slow start, but once Arry started playing him deeper he really shined. I think I watched every single game in his last two seasons, and back then I was able to get to the Lane fairly regularly too. Other than King, Modric was our most consistent player. He was metronomic. It’s why Chelsea and Madrid wanted him.

Have you watched Real this season bar the Spurs games? Modric has declined considerably and would get run over at the Prem like a joke. His decline has also been parallel to Real Madrid's woes this season - currently they're in danger of not making CL next season - that's how tragic they've been. Modric is finished at the top level, especially a Top 4 Prem club. That's the equivalent of calling Berba back.
Watched every game bar 2. I suggest you go back and watch his latest 3 performances v. Levante, the brilliant Valencia and Deportivo. Then come back and say he's lost it. Real are failing despite Modric's performance's not because of it.

I'm well aware of Real's failings this year, and it has been defensively, conceding a goal a game. Anyone who has watched them knows that. They've conceded the same amount of goals as Levante and Getafe. Varane in particular has been poor for a guy as talented as he is. And their wingbacks are trash defensively.

Modric has never been ''run over'' ever. He still doesn't now despite his supposed ''considerable decline''. So to say he would now is based on nothing but conjecture. Especially since our average possession sits at 61%, third highest in the League.

FYI - Berbatov is 37 playing in India. Not even close to 'equivalent'.

Last edited:
Again, to get Modric is to compliment an already incredibly strong squad. How can you now want Modric instead of Sissoko? What does Sissoko provide that is more influential than what Modric could?

Baffling.

Winks talks in interviews about how much he learns off Dembele. Surely Modric would be a similar benefit to our young players?

Back
Top Bottom